• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Porto to SDC.. How much is on road?

micamino73

Hi, How much of the camino from Porto is on road. I did camino from Astorga and I liked the off-road path parts or the country side roads. So how much of the Porto to SDC is like this? I have already been told NOT to walk out of porto, but to get the metro to Maia. So I suppose my question is what is the path like from Maia?

Does anyone recommend a route? I have seen a few but I am looking for 8 to 9 stops from Maia to SDC

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
From memory I think there was very little road walking. Mostly trails, tracks, and small lanes. There is a bit where you cross a dual-carriageway which is dodgy - quite near to Porto. I enjoyed the part out of Porto - but did it on a sunday when it was much quieter. We followed the main route in Brierley. It is stunningly beautiful.

Hi, How much of the camino from Porto is on road. I did camino from Astorga and I liked the off-road path parts or the country side roads. So how much of the Porto to SDC is like this? I have already been told NOT to walk out of porto, but to get the metro to Maia. So I suppose my question is what is the path like from Maia?

Does anyone recommend a route? I have seen a few but I am looking for 8 to 9 stops from Maia to SDC

Hey there. I've started in Póvoa do Varzim, after catching the metro until there. Until you reach Barcelos, you will find some road walking. I believe that in the complete view, from Porto to Santiago, you will probably walk 20 to 35% of your time on the road, especially on the first 2 to 3 days.

9 days can be harsh in my own opinion. 9 days would make you walk some 40km stretches.

Best Regards
Diogo

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
micamino,
I see you make a distinction between roads (I'm guessing you mean like the National 120 and 547 that run parallel to so much of the camino Frances) and the country side roads which you don't mind so much. It's worth checking the Brierley guide if you get the chance as he provides the proportion of walking on country paths, minor roads and major roads for each day.
Most of the road walking from Porto is on little roads that have very few cars - but there is a lot of this kind of walking.
To understand the options on the first day out of Porto, I suggest you go back over some of the earlier threads in the Portugues section as there have been a lot of good discussions about it in the last few months.
FWIW I really enjoyed taking the lovely coastal option to Vila do Conde. A lot of people start this option by taking the metro to Matosinhos, but you can easily walk out of the centre of Porto. I did this and it was easy and interesting. You can follow the shore of the Douro around the coast or like me, turn left off the camino along the Rua da Boavista which runs dead straight for 6km to the sea.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back