• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

COVID Porto Update?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm in the same boat. I was hoping that I could make it to Porto in early May, but as of now that does not look realistic. On the up side (if there is one) the situation offers some extra time to get in shape (boy, do I need it!), enjoy the local trails, and consider a new plan for fall of this year or spring of next. With vacation time building up, it also allows me to consider a longer camino, perhaps from Lisbon, and a side trip through Fatima.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola @SarahPriestman I was all set to walk from Porto in May last year (2020) now like you it is on the horizon for May/June 2022. We (my brother and I) are aiming to walk the coastal route (at least for the first 4 or 5 days) Should have my COVID19 vaccination by the end of March or early April.

Hello All - I am postponing my Porto Camino until 2022, as the news just sounds so terrible. Anyone else have any thoughts on Portugal?
Buen Camino,
Sarah
Sadly, I’ve written off any hope for any Way of the Camino in 2021 -and this was after cancelling for 2020. This was supposed to be a memorial walk for my dear wife whom I lost at the beginning of last year.
Good luck Sarah, and just for right now plan and dream for when it will be safe to go.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sarah - I too had plans of walking the Coastal Camino in May 2021 - I have just rescheduled to August 2021. Here's hoping the extra 3 months makes a difference (or not). Jungleboy's (aka Nick) posts are a good place to start for updates in Portugal.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello All - I am postponing my Porto Camino until 2022, as the news just sounds so terrible. Anyone else have any thoughts on Portugal?
Buen Camino,
Sarah
Planning Porto central 2023, more chance of vaccine taking control and avoid 2022 being holy year extension. Me thinks the Porto will be very busy as alternative to a manic Frances.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Buen Camino,
Sarah
Who knows what the situation will be like. Portugal is suffering the worst at yhe moment. Everyone thought spring this year (2021) would be fine for camino-ing. And it really won't. Theres also the worry with different variants. Let's just hope it wont be too long.

From here in Melbourne, Australia, Europe seems very dismal at the moment. Emirates flights are even cancelled on the east coast here. Our March 2020 CP was cancelled, but we do hope to get back to Portugal & Spain in 2022 or 2023. By then, we should have been vaccinated and the covid situation will hopefully, (we pray), have settled down. Fingers crossed!

Buen Camino,
Sarah
Hi - I am all booked and ready to walk late September/early October 2021. I have my vaccination and am able to cancel everything is needed but I am hopeful.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thunderstorm predictions for mid-Missouri and especially Columbia presented a narrow window of walking opportunity today around 1:00 pm. I was in the middle of a video with dishes in the sink ... and I just strapped on my new Merrels and headed out the door to a route I knew was heavily shaded; if it came to rain, I had foliage to keep the worst of the rain off.

Only, at the very last minute, this Autumn 2021 Porto-Santiago (3 in Spain, a newbie to Portugal) Camino-dreaming gal changed to a different route, one with a bit of elevation, which pilgrims bound to either country know, we really need to work on.

Coming back towards my car, an elderly (well, I am 76) woman walking two charming, friendly dogs paused headed the opporsite direction. When she replied to my question about the dogs, I detected an accent. "Vous etes francaise, par hazard?" "Oh, no, I have been living in Brazil for many years!" I ventured that I had loved my several weeks in Brazil but that I was headed (fingers AND toes crossed) to Portugal in Autumn. And from where did she come from in Portugal?

And if you guessed she wasx born and loved Porto, you would be right.

Sooooo... we chatted and laughed and interrupted each other for a few minutes, until a clear sign from the western heavens indicated the reprise from crashing thunder and very real lightning was baaaack.

We bade farewell. And I thanked ... everyone. Angels, serendipity, perfect timing: the lot.

Who could have predicted that in the middle of a pause in thunderstorms and literally thinking about which Gossamer Gear backpack to take to Portugal, and in the middle of Missouri, I would align to an actual, lovely, native of Portugal?

If you looking for a sign, and you let it go how it comes you, it shall arrive.

Obrigado!

Hola @SarahPriestman I was all set to walk from Porto in May last year (2020) now like you it is on the horizon for May/June 2022. We (my brother and I) are aiming to walk the coastal route (at least for the first 4 or 5 days) Should have my COVID19 vaccination by the end of March or early April.
I am planning the same route and time for 2022. Let's stay in touch.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Who knows what the situation will be like. Portugal is suffering the worst at yhe moment. Everyone thought spring this year (2021) would be fine for camino-ing. And it really won't. Theres also the worry with different variants. Let's just hope it wont be too long.
I'm planning on Spring 2022 as well & hope to add Finistere afterward.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We started our CP in Porto, and after we spent a couple days in Santiago, we returned by bus to spend 3 days exploring this beautiful heritage site. Well worth it, such a pleasant way to end before flying home to ‘reality’.

I've been planning to start the CP from Lisbon beginning of July 2021 and really hoping I don't have to postpone... Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for myself and everyone commenting on this post!!
I just booked my tickets to go in July, and am hoping that it will be possible! Maybe we will see each other there!

Assuming that they open up travel, I will be arriving in Lisbon on July 1st. When will you get there?

Ruth

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back