• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portsmouth to Southampton to Reading Abbey

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Portuguese, Aragon, Norte, SJWayUK, Nive
My wife and I will be walking The Pilgrims Way in southern England from the ferry landing in Portsmouth to the Reading Abbey this August 2022. I have been in touch with the local Pilgrim association, but curious if anyone has walked it recently (in either direction).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Assume you are walking from Portsmouth to Winchester to start the Pilgrim Route there. Here's a route from last year. Portsmouth itself is worth a day as it has a lot of navel history. Southampton (if you are going that way) has some Mayflower history that may be of interest. Winchester (and Salisbury) are again worth a day/half-day.

The only "pilgrim" route I can find is the one on the British Pilgrim Trust website and it doesn't look like a pilgrim route as the main pilgrim route was over the Downs from Winchester to Canterbury.

Standard comments for any walk in the UK are a) accommodation is expensive b) food is terrible and c) it will rain. Other than that - enjoy.

Actually, we are reverse-walking from the port up to Reading - this is part of it listed as “The Pilgrims Trail”. We will continue on to Reading to visit the Abbey there which was once the center of St James worship in England.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I’ve walked that route but from Reading to Southampton only. Not a bad hike but accommodation is sparse and expensive. There are B&Bs off-route and I’ve heard that some churches on the route may let you overnight on floors. This wasn’t the case when I walked it a few years ago though. Take time to plan it and you’ll be fine - it’s a nice walk 👍

Thanks. We walked the Cotswolds previously, so I completely understand the cost of being a tourist in England versus a pilgrim in Spain. My wife was worried it would be too industrial along the route, but other reports at its a lovely stroll in footpaths and canal routes. Just curious which (or both?) are true?

Both Portsmouth and Southampton are cities. If you are starting at Portsmouth on the BPT Pilgrim Trail you might want to get to the north of the city by taking the train from Portsmouth Harbour station to the one at Cosham. Takes 15 minutes and you'll be most of the way out. After Portsmouth it is countryside all the way to Winchester.

Portsmouth is a working city and a big naval base. Think San Diego. So best to keep your exposure to it to a minimum except for the core historic area.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks. We walked the Cotswolds previously, so I completely understand the cost of being a tourist in England versus a pilgrim in Spain. My wife was worried it would be too industrial along the route, but other reports at its a lovely stroll in footpaths and canal routes. Just curious which (or both?) are true?
A bit of both really. A lot of canalside walking which is quite industrial until you get clear of Reading. Then you pass through various towns and villages - some with great watering holes (but some may have closed due to Covid). As you get closer to major towns the landscape changes but, all in all, definitely worth the effort!

My wife and I will be walking The Pilgrims Way in southern England from the ferry landing in Portsmouth to the Reading Abbey this August 2022. I have been in touch with the local Pilgrim association, but curious if anyone has walked it recently (in either direction).
I assume you know that the Reading Abbey was destroyed in 1538 during the Dissolution and all that remains today in Reading are the abbey ruins?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This is the UK St James Way which is different from the actual Pilgrim's Way which is from Winchester to Canterbury with another branch from London to Canterbury.

I have walked from Reading to Southampton twice in 2021. It's a lovely route though the infrastructure is not great as in accommodation and signage is practically non existent. The guide book I also found lacking in places but it is doable and you do walk through some really interesting places. Great countryside.

This is the UK St James Way which is different from the actual Pilgrim's Way which is from Winchester to Canterbury with another branch from London to Canterbury.

I have walked from Reading to Southampton twice in 2021. It's a lovely route though the infrastructure is not great as in accommodation and signage is practically non existent. The guide book I also found lacking in places but it is doable and you do walk through some really interesting places. Great countryside.
Thank you for the reply! Yes, I’ve since learned the official name and purchased the guidebook from the Confraternity of St James (a fabulous organization, BTW). On a related note, the section we will walk between Portsmouth and Southampton is partially considered as “The Old Pilgrims Way” by the British Pilgrims Trust. So many named routes for such a small land, but all historic and delightful!

Thank you for the reply! Yes, I’ve since learned the official name and purchased the guidebook from the Confraternity of St James (a fabulous organization, BTW). On a related note, the section we will walk between Portsmouth and Southampton is partially considered as “The Old Pilgrims Way” by the British Pilgrims Trust. So many named routes for such a small land, but all historic and delightful!
Thank you for that update on the neame between Portsmouth and Southampton. Happy walking.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Vacajoe

If you need any local help or advice for Portsmouth through Southampton to Winchester do let me know.

What accommodations will you be intending to use?

Vacajoe

If you need any local help or advice for Portsmouth through Southampton to Winchester do let me know.

What accommodations will you be intending to use?
We have scheduled a mixture of pubs, inns, etc. Nothing specifically “pilgrim” since those don't seem to exist. We’ve done a lot of urban walking on undesignated paths, so I think we will be fine. Our first day is from Portsmouth to Titchfield, crossing the waterway at the start and walking along the coastal area there - have you done that before?

No but I know the area well as I used to contract to Portsmouth and Fareham city councils before switching to the New Forest District Council.
Titchfield is nice if you're staying there. The walk around the river Hamble through Holly Hill Park is nice rather than getting a boat trip across and isn't very long. You'll walk through Netley Abbey after the Hamble river which is a nice park and has the historic building. Southampton city you'll find plenty of history and especially regarding the Titanic. I live on the outskirts and rarely go into the city as my hobby takes me outwards into the Meon Valley and surrounding hills and work takes me into the New Forest district.

The walk up to Winchester is very easy and full of wildlife including Red Kites. My partner intends to do it soon.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The walk up to Winchester is very easy and full of wildlife
That’s reassuring! 👍. We broke up the walk from Portsmouth to Southampton with a stay in Titchfield simply because it will be our first day on the trail and we didn’t want to push it too hard.

Currently the plan is to ferry to Gosport and walk from there rather than north out of Portsmouth proper - do you concur?

Yes I do. Nothing of interest or worth remembering walking around the harbour.
When walking from the continental ferry port to the Gosport ferry you pass Charles Dickens birth place if interested. Quaint street and now a museum: HERE Otherwise get yourself over to Gosport and beyond.

Yes I do. Nothing of interest or worth remembering walking around the harbour.
When walking from the continental ferry port to the Gosport ferry you pass Charles Dickens birth place if interested. Quaint street and now a museum: HERE Otherwise get yourself over to Gosport and beyond.
I had no idea CD was born there! Thank you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I just spotted that you're from California. I used to visit a place called Grass Valley a lot back in the day. Such a beautiful part of the world.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know but here's an insight to Portsmouth's past fame : HERE

I live about 40 miles from Grass Vakley! Small world.

I'm not surprised. Last year I chatted with a couple on a Sussex train platform who came from Grass Valley. The world is becoming smaller.
I've sent you my contact information should you need any help or advice whilst travelling through the area. It would have been nice to have you stay but my mode ATM is work-eat-sleep-repeat.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

An article in the weekend edition of the Irish Times. I hope it can be accessed. If not, just follow the website above. Go n-éirí an bóthar leat, Credit for Gaelic version, @wayfarer...
The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.