• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portugal And Spain Sizzling In Record Heatwave

jirit

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2007,
Via Francigena Italy, 2008,
Jakobsweg Austria 2010,
Camino Frances 2011,
Le Puy to Lourdes 2012,
Via de la Plata 2013,
Future:
Ökumenischer (Via Regia), Germany,
Lycian Way, Turkey
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Long may it last - we'll be leaving our DownUnder winter for Portugal in three weeks!!!

Thank you jirit!
I am in Tomar now and the heat is almost unbearable. We carry lots of water every and plan our day very carefully.
Abrazos,

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Oh Lord tomorrow two weeks I walk from St Jean to Estella, pale fair freckly Irish skin that burns, peels, goes white again, does not look forward to scorching temperatures! Sun Cream when exercising just drops off, my next camino purchase will have to be a sun hat!

Oh Lord tomorrow two weeks I walk from St Jean to Estella, pale fair freckly Irish skin that burns, peels, goes white again, does not look forward to scorching temperatures! Sun Cream when exercising just drops off, my next camino purchase will have to be a sun hat!

Hopefully not in one day! And yes, get a sun hat ASAP! Buen Camino! SY

Hopefully not in one day! And yes, get a sun hat ASAP! Buen Camino! SY
Ha ha hopefully over 5 days, if I get to Estella well and good if the body not able then how ever far my legs carry me :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So far pilgrims walking the camino Frances and Norte and other northern routes have been spared.

But those further south on the VdlP must be experiencing the full blast of this heatwave.

Temperatures are soaring in Portugal and Spain, smashing previous records for May.

To read more click here:
http://news.sky.com/story/1484731/portugal-and-spain-sizzling-in-record-heatwave

Wow, the new record (42,9C) was in Xativa on the Levante route which I'm about to start in three weeks. Will be interesting to calculate how much of total backpack weight will be just the water...
Personally I drink approx.1,5l of water in the morning and that helps a lot in first 2-3 hours of walking in a heat such as this.

Interesting map: cold temps all along the Primitivo. It's all there in dark blue.

We could use a little of that heat along the northern coast of Spain with temperature ranging between 12 and 16 for the next week.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Use SPF 50. Some of the stuff is even okay with short dips in the sea. OTOH the simple/smart thing is to cover up. Your hat is a good start Long sleeves and pants next.

I
Use SPF 50. Some of the stuff is even okay with short dips in the sea. OTOH the simple/smart thing is to cover up. Your hat is a good start Long sleeves and pants next.
I have the factor 50 it's all I ever use, and two long sleeve tops, I was going to wear three quarter length pants, I wear them here for football training and find them comfy, packing two of them. I hate been two hot so I hope the two longs sleeve tops let me breathe good. Thank you

Totally irrelevant, but we broke our record in late January; there must be something going on.( left hand column is the official temp, middle column = "feels like"). View attachment 18555

IMG_6521.jpeg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Hey Cailin

Try P20 sun block ..goes on first thing and lasts all day !!

Buen Camino :)

We could use a little of that heat along the northern coast of Spain with temperature ranging between 12 and 16 for the next week.
Oh, this is excellent news in my book: temps in the high teens and low twenties over the next two weeks between Oviedo and Lugo, with rain on the day I start walking, but it's a short day. And cool nights, so the sleeping bag stays where it is now at the bottom of my pack!

Oh, this is excellent news in my book: temps in the high teens and low twenties over the next two weeks between Oviedo and Lugo, with rain on the day I start walking, but it's a short day. And cool nights, so the sleeping bag stays where it is now at the bottom of my pack!
You sound like a happy camper, but for me it's wait until I know the average temperatures are in the mid 20's. That's what makes all of us so different.

Hey Cailin

Try P20 sun block ..goes on first thing and lasts all day !!

Buen Camino :)
Thanks Pablo, I actually bought that for a trip to China few years back so I think I have it somewhere, will have to get my hands on it, from what I recall it actually did stay on all day!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Was on the Levante during that time, when the locals are saying to you Mucho Calor, Mucho Calor you know it is hot.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back