• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Portugal - Any issues with Australians and covid

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

scott the farmer

Time of past OR future Camino
2014 Pamplona to Burgos, 2017 SJDP to Santiago,
Hi wondering if any Australians have had any issues related to Covid when entering Portugal. We are double vacinated and boosted.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have a flight booked for Lisbon next month and all seems good. Triple vaxxed with the international certificate on my phone which the smartraveller site says is accepted overseas by airlines and border authorities, , although some venues in country may not. Also, it seems that a test before arrival is no longer required for Portugal. https://www.reuters.com/world/europ...t-requirement-arriving-passengers-2022-02-03/

Of course things can and do change, but seems OK right now.

Also, it seems that a test before arrival is no longer required for Portugal. https://www.reuters.com/world/europ...t-requirement-arriving-passengers-2022-02-03/.
The new regulation has been announced but not yet been published in the Official Gazette of Portugal. It is not yet reflected on the official websites of Portugal. The Reuters article says that the following category of travellers will no longer need a pre-flight test: arriving with a valid digital European Union certificate or recognised proof of vaccination. Note this comment in the Reuters article:
The [Portuguese] Interior Ministry, which is responsible for the entry of people into the country, could not immediately provide further details, including whether British or American proof of vaccination would be considered valid.

The new regulation would reestablish the entry conditions that Portugal had for much of 2021, except towards the end of last year and beginning of this year. I guess that there were very very few pilgrims flying from Australia to Portugal in 2021.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi wondering if any Australians have had any issues related to Covid when entering Portugal. We are double vacinated and boosted.
I haven't made it there yet. Was booked for May but cancellations and rescheduling issues with the airline due to Covid made me postpone until September. I too am fully vaxxed with booster and international Covid Certificate, which looks pretty ordinary if you ask me. Look forward to hearing from any other Australians making it to their Camino.

I haven't made it there yet. Was booked for May but cancellations and rescheduling issues with the airline due to Covid made me postpone until September. I too am fully vaxxed with booster and international Covid Certificate, which looks pretty ordinary if you ask me. Look forward to hearing from any other Australians making it to their Camino.
Hi Eilann I’m an Aussie booked to walk in Spain in May. How did you get your International COVID certificate? Do you know if I would need another booster shot as I had one about two months ago? (Ie I would have had a booster shot 5 months before entry to Spain.) I’m so excited that we are finally able to travel outside Oz, but it’s confusing & maybe things will have again by May. Buen Camino in Sept!

Hi Eilann I’m an Aussie booked to walk in Spain in May. How did you get your International COVID certificate? Do you know if I would need another booster shot as I had one about two months ago? (Ie I would have had a booster shot 5 months before entry to Spain.) I’m so excited that we are finally able to travel outside Oz, but it’s confusing & maybe things will have again by May. Buen Camino in Sept!
I am also walking in Spain in May from Sydney so also interested in this reply

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Aussieannie
to get your International covid cert, go to your MyGov account, into Medicare, proof of vaccination area, scroll down to below the aust covid cert and the link for international one is there. You will need your passport details to complete, then download into device from there. I would probably take a paper copy as well just in case.
Cheers Carmel

Currently in Portugal in the camper.
Naughty boy, I crossed the border 24hrs early on 31st January but encountered no problems. Up to that date, one had to perform a rapid antigen test before crossing.
We are now of the same status as Ozzies in that we are from a 'Third country' now that are no longer in the EU club so I would imagine the same rules apply.
No mask wearing in public outdoor areas, mask wearing indoors.
Hope this will help.

As far as I understand, there is no expiry on the booster shot. If you've had a booster after the first 2 shots you should be fine. But, of course rules are constantly changing and vary between countries within the EU.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We are now of the same status as Ozzies in that we are from a 'Third country' now that are no longer in the EU club so I would imagine the same rules apply
Although the UK is now in the EU’s category of ”Third Countries” like Australia, it does not mean that Portugal puts the UK and Australia into the same category when it comes to Covid-19 related rules on entering the country.

For Portugal: UK, USA + Brazil are in one category, and NZ, AUS + CAN are in another category as to being authorised to fly to Portugal on leisure trips.

For Portugal: UK + NZ are in one category, and USA, AUS + CAN are in another category as to the recognition of their national/international vaccination certificates for entry purposes, with the USA being in a subcategory of its own.

And these differences are the reason why I am posting way too much. 😶

(This categorisation has also changed from time to time; individual third countries have been moved in and out of their various categories)

Last edited:
Hey there you can request the international Covid certificate through Medicare App on your phone. I added it to my Apple Wallet. At this point in Australia we are asked to get the third shot, booster. There is no requirement for a fourth booster at this point in time. I got the booster because I always want to make sure I am able to go overseas.

Hi Aussieannie
to get your International covid cert, go to your MyGov account, into Medicare, proof of vaccination area, scroll down to below the aust covid cert and the link for international one is there. You will need your passport details to complete, then download into device from there. I would probably take a paper copy as well just in case.
Cheers Carmel
Just a small detail, but essential, make sure your Medicare name is exactly the same as your passport including any middle name letters or it rejects your request. Otherwise very straightforward. Have fun. I’m hoping for Portugués later this year.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I use the Re-open EU app which I believe is the official EU app. Smart Traveller also has the same info for Portugal - non essential travel is authorised, negative test is required.

Smart Traveller also says this: "Digital vaccination certificates from Australia and many other countries, aren't officially recognised by the Portuguese government for entry into venues. However, they are accepted by most venues in practice. Enforcement is variable."

The new regulation has been announced but not yet been published in the Official Gazette of Portugal. It is not yet reflected on the official websites of Portugal
The new regulation was published today in the Official Gazette of Portugal.

Websites ought to be updated soon because the new rules will be applicable as of tomorrow February 8.

Quote (DeepL translation): The presentation of a negative test result for travel purposes will no longer be required as an additional requirement when the traveller presents an EU Digital Covid Certificate (vaccination or recovery) or another duly recognised vaccination certificate.

There is no list of the non-EU countries, who, from the POV of Portugal, issue "duly recognised vaccination certificates" for the purpose of entering Portugal at an international air border.

Last edited:
I am still getting advice from Smart Traveller (Australia government travel advisory) that if arriving by "direct flight" from Australia we are only allowed in for essential purposes, even if fully vaccinated. There are no "direct flights" from Australia, we have to transit somewhere. I'm told that is sufficient, but I don't fancy arguing with a customers officer or health official at the airport in Lisbon.

I had hoped this would have been clarified by now.

I've sent off an email to the Embassy in Canberra. Let's see what response I get.

I am still getting advice from Smart Traveller (Australia government travel advisory) that if arriving by "direct flight" from Australia we are only allowed in for essential purposes, even if fully vaccinated. There are no "direct flights" from Australia, we have to transit somewhere. I'm told that is sufficient, but I don't fancy arguing with a customers officer or health official at the airport in Lisbon.

I've sent off an email to the Embassy in Canberra. Let's see what response I get.
I received this from the Portuguese Consul in Sydney, after the Embassy sent me a link that was months old and did not reflect the current situation.

Dear Lindsay,

Thank you for your email.

Direct travel from Australia is limited to essential purposes only, to be officially extended to all visitors shortly for non-essential travel.

Currently, it is understood that all Australians can visit Portugal, as there are no direct flights from Australia to Portugal.

I take this to mean I am good to go. I leave next Tuesday so we will see. I' ll post here about how I get on.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I take this to mean I am good to go. I leave next Tuesday so we will see. I' ll post here about how I get on.
Yes please - hopefully not from a holding cell at the airport! I've been watching the March start threads to see if there are any Australians on the Portuguese now, but could not see anyone so far. It would be really useful to have your experience.

I have expressed my concern elsewhere that the phrase 'direct flights' isn't used in many places, and so far I haven't found it on any official Portuguese website. The words used are 'direct travel' or 'flights'. Like @Kanga, I wouldn't relish the prospect that, at least until the Portuguese Government accepts the Australian International Vaccination Certificate, you could be stopped on arrival in Portugal by air, and turned around.

That said, I suspect it is a more realistic scenario that one would be stopped at the last transit airport if the airline doesn't think you will meet the entry criteria. It is even possible that this check will be done before your departure from Australia. No airline will want to be carrying the risk of having you refused entry on arrival.

Well, I got a response from the embassy and it is disappointing. It says:

"Travels from Australia to Portugal are only allowed for essential purposes (professional, study, family reunion and for health or humanitarian reasons), unless the itinerary includes a stopover/layover in another country that is part of the list of countries with flights allowed into Portugal for non-essential purposes. The Australian Vaccination certificate is not accepted in Portugal, we advise you to do a PCR test 72h before departure to Portugal.

More information on the following link: https://www.visitportugal.com/en/content/covid-19-measures-implemented-portugal

For more questions, feel free to ask."

So I sent a follow up email asking about the contradiction between the website Lindsay had posted (saying that Australian vaccination certificates were accepted) and the information in the Visit Portugal website.

The response I got was that the information on the Lindsay link is wrong, that "Portugal is not accepting Australian vaccination certificate and we are in negotiations so it can be approved in the next weeks."

Spain is looking inviting.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It is indeed a shambles.
I wish you a good trip, @Lindsay53, wherever you have decided to end your flight now.

I recently read a comment that said, with reference to the current Portuguese Covid-19 entry restrictions, that airline staff as well as border staff may interpret the current regulations differently from the way this website - it may have been even an IATA website - interprets them. 🥴

There are not many direct flights to Portugal from the transit hubs in the Middle East, in fact Dubai in the UAE appears to be to only transit hub for direct flights to Lisbon. I had a look at the Emirates website. To their credit, at least they have text that is crystal clear reasonably clear in what they regard as eligibility to enter Portugal by air. See https://www.emirates.com/au/english/help/covid-19/travel-requirements-by-destination/ and enter Portugal in the search field and look at Travel Eligibility. Not promising info for potential travellers from Australia though.

In the end, it is the airlines' ground staff who decide whether you can board or not.

Last edited:
Hi all. I am in Lisbon. No trouble at all. Passport and Australian vaccination certificate accepted without question and never asked for my pre arrival test.

On arrival at Sydney airport check in staff looked up their rules for various destinations and for Portugal I had to get a covid test there and then - easily done at the terminal and results emailed in 20 minutes, and fill out the online Portuguese arrival form. This was a pain the bum because it is not very user friendly, especially on a phone. But got it done and submitted and then QANTAS checked me in.

A good trip via London, only annoyance a 2 hour wait to clear immigration in Lisbon but that's part of.the adventure.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi all. I am in Lisbon. No trouble at all. Passport and Australian vaccination certificate accepted without question and never asked for my pre arrival test.

On arrival at Sydney airport check in staff looked up their rules for various destinations and for Portugal I had to get a covid test there and then - easily done at the terminal and results emailed in 20 minutes, and fill out the online Portuguese arrival form. This was a pain the bum because it is not very user friendly, especially on a phone. But got it done and submitted and then QANTAS checked me in.

A good trip via London, only annoyance a 2 hour wait to clear immigration in Lisbon but that's part of.the adventure.
That is fantastic news. Next to see if they will they will accept Dubai as a transit.

A good trip via London, only annoyance a 2 hour wait to clear immigration in Lisbon but that's part of.the adventure

Hi Lindsay53,
Good to hear you arrived in Lisbon. Can I just ask a couple of questions. Did you have to get the Covid test done in Sydney because you were transiting thru London or because your final destination was Lisbon? Can I ask what the cost was of the test at the airport. Any other helpful hints would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Lindsay53,
Good to hear you arrived in Lisbon. Can I just ask a couple of questions. Did you have to get the Covid test done in Sydney because you were transiting thru London or because your final destination was Lisbon? Can I ask what the cost was of the test at the airport. Any other helpful hints would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Hi Molly. I needed the test because my final destination was Lisbon. Had it been the UK I would not have needed one. Cost was $59. Waited about 20 min to do test, then results emailed to me about 20 min after that. The main hassle was the Portuguese online arrival form which QANTAS wanted filled out before check in. Asks for lots of info re covid status, flght information including time of arrival, exact address in Portugal incuding postcode - here I put the guest house address for the first 2 days.

The problem is that if you make an error anywhere it does not seem to tell.you where but simply wont submit when you hit the button. Had to go back a few times to correct a few things before it would work.

Apart from that no issues at all. On arrival an official simply looked at my Aust. vacvination certificate on my phone, did not scan it or ask to see my test result, and waved me on to immigration clearance. There the Customs Officer just stsmped my passport and said 'Welcome to Portugal'.

Hi Molly. I needed the test because my final destination was Lisbon. Had it been the UK I would not have needed one. Cost was $59. Waited about 20 min to do test, then results emailed to me about 20 min after that. The main hassle was the Portuguese online arrival form which QANTAS wanted filled out before check in. Asks for lots of info re covid status, flght information including time of arrival, exact address in Portugal incuding postcode - here I put the guest house address for the first 2 days.

The problem is that if you make an error anywhere it does not seem to tell.you where but simply wont submit when you hit the button. Had to go back a few times to correct a few things before it would work.

Apart from that no issues at all. On arrival an official simply looked at my Aust. vacvination certificate on my phone, did not scan it or ask to see my test result, and waved me on to immigration clearance. There the Customs Officer just stsmped my passport and said 'Welcome to Portugal'.
Hi Lindsay53,
Thanks for all the info- very reassuring. Will just keep checking the Portugal website to see if they will let us fly from Brisbane with a transit thru Dubai. Will still a a bit of time up our sleeves.
Once again, many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Lindsay - I did think as much as I have had other Aussie friends visit - but the Portugal website is so confusing and convoluted. You made me feel a lot better about my coming trip. Thanks for your blog !! Chris Lachman, Adelaide

Hi Lindsay53,
Thanks for all the info- very reassuring. Will just keep checking the Portugal website to see if they will let us fly from Brisbane with a transit thru Dubai. Will still a a bit of time up our sleeves.
Once again, many thanks.

We are in the same situation. Both of us have now had our 4th vaccination. Travelling from Sydney to Dubai, then to Lisbon. Flight leaves on 13 April, at 6am. If we need a PCR test it will have to be the night before.

We are in the same situation. Both of us have now had our 4th vaccination. Travelling from Sydney to Dubai, then to Lisbon. Flight leaves on 13 April, at 6am. If we need a PCR test it will have to be the night before.
Hi Kanga,
Fingers crossed for you. Do you have a plan B if needed?? Were you advised to get 4th vaccination??
Thanks

@Kanga, what is your thinking about getting the PCR test done the night before your departure?
I would be concerned that you wouldn't have a result in time for your flight the next day. If you had a supervised RAT done, I would think that result would be available in time, but I'm not sure that there is enough time to process the PCR test.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I had a RAT and the check in staff were happy with that. As I said above, no one on arrival in Portugal even asked about the test.

Portugal requires either a PCR or NAAT test within 72 hours, or a RAT within 24 hours.
I don't know about Australia, but in the US we can get a rapid NAAT test with results in a couple of hours.

Portugal requires either a PCR or NAAT test within 72 hours, or a RAT within 24 hours.
I don't know about Australia, but in the US we can get a rapid NAAT test with results in a couple of hours.
When I travelled earlier this year, these times were measured from the time that you planned to commence travel, with your travel day counting as Day Zero. I was wondering if that had changed when I saw @Kanga's post. We have generally had results well within 24 hours of PCR testing in Australia, and about 36 hours when we were in the UK. I don't have experience with RAT/LFT/NAAT, but noting that @Lindsay53 did one at the airport before departure, it seems results are delivered very quickly.

@Kanga, what is your thinking about getting the PCR test done the night before your departure?
I would be concerned that you wouldn't have a result in time for your flight the next day. If you had a supervised RAT done, I would think that result would be available in time, but I'm not sure that there is enough time to process the PCR test.
Good question, Doug. I had assumed the tests done at the airport were PCR tests but perhaps they are not. I know they can’t be self administered. From reading the Portuguese websites I can’t see they are necessary for the vaccinated with no symptoms. But if the airline wants one we will do one. I’ll contact Emirates direct closer to the time and check.

I’m feeling a bit more confident about the flight since getting an email from Smart Traveller saying

Direct travel from Australia is currently limited to essential purposes only, unless you have an EU COVID-19 vaccination certificate. Australian passport holders can still enter Portugal for ‘non-essential’ purposes from elsewhere in the EU or approved third countries (including the United Arab Emirates).

I think the specific mention of the UAE is a bit of code - we have 17 hours in Dubai.

Good question, Doug. I had assumed the tests done at the airport were PCR tests but perhaps they are not. I know they can’t be self administered. From reading the Portuguese websites I can’t see they are necessary for the vaccinated with no symptoms. But if the airline wants one we will do one. I’ll contact Emirates direct closer to the time and check.

I’m feeling a bit more confident about the flight since getting an email from Smart Traveller saying

Direct travel from Australia is currently limited to essential purposes only, unless you have an EU COVID-19 vaccination certificate. Australian passport holders can still enter Portugal for ‘non-essential’ purposes from elsewhere in the EU or approved third countries (including the United Arab Emirates).

I think the specific mention of the UAE is a bit of code - we have 17 hours in Dubai.
Thanks. I suspect that the airport testing centres provide RAT now these are being accepted at overseas destinations. That would be consistent with my understanding of the test processing times.

The Portuguese website that seems most authoritative was last updated on 15 Mar, but still does not include Australia in the list of reciprocal countries whose vaccination certificates are recognised. @Lindsay53's success gives hope this isn't going to be an issue, but I still think I will play it safe and get tested before I leave as well unless this changes.

Last edited:
I had a RAT and the check in staff were happy with that. As I said above, no one on arrival in Portugal even asked about the test.

The Portuguese website that seems most authoritative was last update on 15 Mar, but still does not include Australia in the list of reciprocal countries whose vaccination certificates are recognised. @Lindsay53's success gives hope this isn't going to be an issue, but I still think I will play it safe and get tested before I leave as well unless this changes.
The fact that no one in Portugal asked to see her test results doesn't mean that it wasn't necessary to have a test done before boarding. I believe that the airlines are the "gatekeepers." They won't allow boarding without a negative test if it is required in accordance with the rules of the final and intermediate destinations.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The fact that no one in Portugal asked to see her test results doesn't mean that it wasn't necessary to have a test done before boarding. I believe that the airlines are the "gatekeepers." They won't allow boarding without a negative test if it is required in accordance with the rules of the final and intermediate destinations.
That's true, and we both know airlines don't want to have to deal with a passenger that aren't going to be allowed to enter another country. It is still an immigration officer who is going to make the decision at one's destination, not the airline.

All this goes to the confusion that seems to centre around Portugal right now about who it will allow to enter for non-essential travel. Its formal advice indicates the Australian International Vaccination Certificate is not accepted, but practice suggests that it will be. The advice suggests the relevant document for an Australian would be a valid negative test result, but practice suggests otherwise. Having both seems to be the prudent option right now.

Smarttraveller has been updated this morning:

Direct travel from Australia is currently limited to essential purposes only, unless you have an EU COVID-19 vaccination certificate. Australian passport holders can still enter Portugal for ‘non-essential’ purposes from elsewhere in the EU or approved third countries (including the United Arab Emirates). Travellers aged 12 and over must have a recognised COVID-19 vaccination certificate or a negative COVID-19 (PCR) or (TRAg) test to enter. Within Portugal, most COVID-19 measures other than mask-wearing have been lifted. Community transmission of COVID-19 is high. Rules may change at short notice (see 'Travel'). Local authorities are strongly advising against non-essential travel to the Island of Sao Jorge, in the Azores, due to the recent increase in seismic activity (see ‘Safety‘).

I think you are right about the airlines acting as gatekeepers trecile. As I mentioned above, before I could check in they wanted both a test and the Portuguese on line entry form completed. Only when this was done was I checked in
This may be why there was no problem on arrival in Lisbon.

I have been in contact with another Australian who arrived in Lisbon a few days before me and his experience was similar to mine, so it was not just a lucky accident that I was allowed to enter.

BTW..I am a he, not a she.😊

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Smarttraveller has been updated this morning:

Direct travel from Australia is currently limited to essential purposes only, unless you have an EU COVID-19 vaccination certificate. Australian passport holders can still enter Portugal for ‘non-essential’ purposes from elsewhere in the EU or approved third countries (including the United Arab Emirates). Travellers aged 12 and over must have a recognised COVID-19 vaccination certificate or a negative COVID-19 (PCR) or (TRAg) test to enter. Within Portugal, most COVID-19 measures other than mask-wearing have been lifted. Community transmission of COVID-19 is high. Rules may change at short notice (see 'Travel'). Local authorities are strongly advising against non-essential travel to the Island of Sao Jorge, in the Azores, due to the recent increase in seismic activity (see ‘Safety‘).
Still confusing. I read it that we still need the EU vaccination certificate if we transit thru Dubai. Please tell me I’m wrong !!!

Still confusing. I read it that we still need the EU vaccination certificate if we transit thru Dubai. Please tell me I’m wrong !!!
I don't read it that way. There appear to be alternatives that are acceptable. and recent experience that doesn't quite align with the formal statements. I hope a clearer statement emerges before I travel, but I am going to have both the Australian International Vaccination Certificate and a test. That covers two of the multiple 'or' statements as I read the rules.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Having worked with government beurocracy I know it is often out of touch with the situation on the ground. Seems to me that the people actually responsible for enforcing the multitude of confusing and conflicting regulations have adopted a common sense approach that allows people suitably vaccinated and tested to travel while ignoring the pointless detail of the 'official' policies.

These policies will eventually catch up with reality.

Our own official government health website I know was wrong at one stage. The advice on it was different to the actual proclamations and legislation. I know having had to research it for someone. The police were issuing fines to people who the police thought had broken the law, when they had not.

So I am not too critical of the Portuguese, although the current regulations seem an extreme example of bureaucracy going overboard. Not recognising the Australian vaccination certificate is the thing that seems most crazy; my Australian government issued international certificate is very specific about exactly what vaccines I've had, when I've had them, all verified by a secure pathway into the Dept of Health record system by the professional who administered the vaccines, and it is attached to my passport. So I'm not sure what else the Portuguese want a certificate to do!

Our own official government health website I know was wrong at one stage. The advice on it was different to the actual proclamations and legislation. I know having had to research it for someone. The police were issuing fines to people who the police thought had broken the law, when they had not.

So I am not too critical of the Portuguese, although the current regulations seem an extreme example of bureaucracy going overboard. Not recognising the Australian vaccination certificate is the thing that seems most crazy; my Australian government issued international certificate is very specific about exactly what vaccines I've had, when I've had them, all verified by a secure pathway into the Dept of Health record system by the professional who administered the vaccines, and it is attached to my passport. So I'm not sure what else the Portuguese want a certificate to do!
At least in the case of Portugal not accepting the US CDC vaccination card, I think that it's a case of reciprocity. The same may be true of Australia/Portugal.

VisitPortugal updated their website a few times during the past week and as recently as yesterday. I have the impression that they mainly shifted text around. Much has been written about the meaning of the content, not only on this forum but also in their feedback section where posters never get a reaction.

I noticed that is now says: “Allowed air traffic” and “flights are allowed from”. The reference to air traffic and flights instead of passengers and countries is new (I checked the earlier text with the help of the WayBack Machine) They also shifted text about vaccination documents around. One could perhaps understand it all to mean that anyone one a flight from say a European airport or an airport in the UAE with any vaccination document containing sufficient details is allowed entry …

That website continues to keep me enthralled.

I also marvel at the text in the section “Arrival to Portugal by land”.

Last edited:
I entered Portugal yesterday on a direct flight from Canada. According to the Visit Portugal website, we needed an antigen test within 24 hours of departure, which we had.
Neither the airline, nor customers in Portugal asked to see it, and the officials in Portugal did not ask for our vaccine record.

They also shifted text about vaccination documents around. One could perhaps understand it all to mean that anyone one a flight from say a European airport or an airport in the UAE with any vaccination document containing sufficient details is allowed entry …
Except that there is a list of the countries with "Accepted vaccination certificates issued by third countries under reciprocal conditions"

If you don't have the EU digital Covid certificate and your vaccination record isn't from a country on the list you need a test.

Screenshot_20220330-234157_Firefox.jpg

I did notice that they moved this information farther up the page, where it is more prominent.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I entered Portugal yesterday on a direct flight from Canada. According to the Visit Portugal website, we needed an antigen test within 24 hours of departure, which we had. Neither the airline, nor customers in Portugal asked to see it, and the officials in Portugal did not ask for our vaccine record.
In my very humble opinion, some of the apparent and ongoing confusion hinges on how the passage about “Vaccination certificates are accepted if they consider” and the reciprocal recognition part are interpreted. By readers of the website including passengers who want to arrive at their airport of departure well prepared. By airline ground staff who don’t rely on the VisitPortugal website but on the instructions in their computer that are issued by IATA or another professional organisation; by border and health control staff who have their own instructions (they may do only random controls) and so on.

Your chronicler of the developments on the VisitPortugal website is back in action today! 😎

I noticed today that it now says "Updated on 11 April" on VisitPortugal. One never knows what they have updated and one is forever hopeful. Alas, a careful comparison of the current version and the previous version with the help of the Wayback Machine reveals that all they did is add Malaysia to a list of countries who issue "accepted vaccination certificates issued by third countries under reciprocal conditions". This is a complicated way of saying that vaccination certificates issued by these countries fulfil a number of conditions that are the same as a number of conditions for the EU Digital Covid Certificate.

Indeed, the European Commission published a decision to this effect for Malaysia on 1 April 2022. Hence this most recent update of the VisitPortugal webpage.

All the other text on VisitPortugal appears to be the same as it has been for months now.

A new development on VisitPortugal!

[Updated on 26 april]
Arriving to Portugal by Plane
Mainland Portugal
Allowed air traffic
All passengers are authorized to enter national territory, regardless of their origin or purpose of travel.
So there is no longer text about entry being only allowed for flights/passengers from a selected group of countries. The rest of the text on requirements such as vaccination, pre-flight tests and 'Certificates issued by third countries, under reciprocal conditions', is in my personal opinion as murky as it had been for months until now.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Kathar1na I'm not finding that language when I view the site.

It's still showing the update date as 22 April

Screenshot_20220426-064613_Firefox.jpg

sengers from a selected group of countries. The rest of the text on requirements such as vaccination, pre-flight tests and 'Certificates issued by third countries, under reciprocal conditions', is in my personal opinion as murky as it had been for months until now.

I think that the list of countries with accepted certificates clarifies it.

Screenshot_20220426-064316_Firefox.jpg

I'm not finding that language when I view the site. It's still showing the update date as 22 April
That website is good for a laugh. They have not updated the mobile version. On my iPhone, it is "Updated on 22 april". On my iMac, it is "Updated on 26 april":

Visit Portuga 22-26.jpg

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The April 26 update to that website has removed the requirement for a EU digital vaccine certificate or negative Covid test to enter Portugal by land. I am not confident whether that was done by design or just an oversight. We are doing the Portuguese camino in June and returning to Portugal by train from Spain in July. I certainly hope a negative test result is not required to enter by land in July (we are Canadian and not eligible for the EU digital vaccine certificate). Has anyone had recent experience of crossing into Portugal by bus or train? and were covid documents required?

The April 26 update to that website has removed the requirement for a EU digital vaccine certificate or negative Covid test to enter Portugal by land. I am not confident whether that was done by design or just an oversight. We are doing the Portuguese camino in June and returning to Portugal by train from Spain in July. I certainly hope a negative test result is not required to enter by land in July (we are Canadian and not eligible for the EU digital vaccine certificate). Has anyone had recent experience of crossing into Portugal by bus or train? and were covid documents required?
I crossed into Portugal by bus last week and no problems whatsoever. No checks of any kind.

€149,-
More news from the last bastion of puzzling entry restrictions, this time from the Feedback section of Visitportugal where future travellers share their confusion and frustration. One of them pointed readers to flytap.com, TAP Air Portugal's official website. It has this surprising piece of information, dated 22 April 2022, for passengers with destination or transit to Continental Portugal:

Additionally, Portugal also accepts vaccination and recovery certificates from the following countries:
  • Brazil
  • USA
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Australia
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Canada
  • Qatar
  • China

Last edited:
I saw something else on the Feedback page of VisitPortugal and I subsequently checked it on dre.pt where Portuguese laws are officially published. It is this quote from one decree related to Covid-19 entry restrictions and it refers to incoming passengers at international airports in Portugal:

the number of private security guards to be hired must be adequate to ensure the random control of 25% of the passengers upon arrival in the national continental territory
Many of the reports on the forum from posters who were not controlled at all upon arrival and therefore concluded that their negative test or their vaccination certificate would not have been necessary for entry have mostly likely come to the wrong conclusion. They may merely belong to the 75% of arriving passengers who are subject to compliance with the law in force but not subject to a random control. This is nothing Portugal specific btw. Random controls only of compliance with Covid-19 entry restrictions had been standard practice in many international airport in other EU countries.

Let's remember this for the future, even though we don't know what the future will bring. :cool:

Last edited:
Additionally, Portugal also accepts vaccination and recovery certificates from the following countries:
  • [ . . . ]
  • USA
  • [ . . . ]

Per US Embassy website for Portugal, and per Sherpa, 72 hour negative PCR tests are still required to arrive in Portugal from the US, which seems to be a "trust but verify" approach. I wonder if the "accepts vaccination and recovery certificates" applies to facility/venue entrance, or is additional paperwork to show at immigration when entering???

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Per US Embassy website for Portugal, and per Sherpa, 72 hour negative PCR tests are still required to arrive in Portugal from the US, which seems to be a "trust but verify" approach. I wonder if the "accepts vaccination and recovery certificates" applies to facility/venue entrance, or is additional paperwork to show at immigration when entering???
As both the text in the quoted post and the link to the TAP Portugal website says, it refers to passengers with destination or transit to Continental Portugal. More precisely, it refers to passengers who fly with TAP from the USA to Portugal. It does not refer to domestic requirements within Portugal and not to additional requirements after arrival in Portugal.

Out of curiosity, I put a flight from the USA to Portugal into the Sherpa website and clicked on all the corresponding links for information for such a flight and it finally said: Travellers who are fully vaccinated arriving from United States (see 6 additional countries) may present a valid vaccination certificate issued in these countries, depending on their airline. Please contact your airline to confirm if your proof of vaccination will be accepted.

It has been pointed out in earlier comments that the airline staff at the departure airport are the ultimate judge of whether a passenger will be allowed to board with the documents that he/she presents. Official and semi-official information about Covid-19 related requirements for flights from a number of non-EU countries to Portugal has been confusing for numerous travellers for months and I doubt that this will end anytime soon.

Last edited:
Last Wednesday the TAP employee at the gate for my flight from Heathrow to Lisbon asked to see my vaccination card (US CDC card) but not my negative test result, which I also had.
I would continue to suggest that those from countries not on the list of accepted vaccine certificates to get tested before traveling to Portugal. I believe that they may do random checks.

Out of curiosity, I put a flight from the USA to Portugal into the Sherpa website and clicked on all the corresponding links for information for such a flight and it finally said: Travellers who are fully vaccinated arriving from United States (see 6 additional countries) may present a valid vaccination certificate issued in these countries, depending on their airline. Please contact your airline to confirm if your proof of vaccination will be accepted.

Yes, I've seen that statement on Sherpa.

However, to board the plane out of the US, I have to show my test and vaccination/recovery status to the airline. I am unaware of any airline that won't check that. The embassy says that if I arrive w/o evidence of that status, I'll be turned around and the airline will be fined. Presumably that evidence is inspected at immigration when I attempt to enter Portugal at the airport, regardless of airline.

From the US Embassy for Portugal COVID page (rev May 2, 2022):
Testing / Vaccination requirements for entry: All passengers 12 years old older must present EITHER
1) EU Digital Vaccination Certificate
. . .
OR
2) Negative COVD Test
. . .

Permission to enter Portugal is the sole responsibility of the Portuguese Government. As part of the admission process prior to boarding flights and at the border, travelers must present written evidence of or the appropriate visa permitting entry to Portugal. Please note that Portuguese Immigration (SEF) does not review evidence and does not make any determination about admission prior to the travelers’ arrival at the border control.

Passengers without vaccination documentation or a negative test:
-- Foreign nationals / non-residents arriving without a test will be fined (along with the airline) and returned on the next available flight.

€83,-
Last Wednesday the TAP employee at the gate for my flight from Heathrow to Lisbon asked to see my vaccination card (US CDC card) but not my negative test result, which I also had.
I would continue to suggest that those from countries not on the list of accepted vaccine certificates to get tested before traveling to Portugal. I believe that they may do random checks.

Were you transiting through LHR or originating from there? If transiting, did you originate in the US?

I assume it was a BA/AA flight???

1) EU Digital Vaccination Certificate
. . .
OR
2) Negative COVD Test
The three dots are the interesting bit of this long-running saga ☺️. They stand for this text:

No specific guidance exists indicating if US CDC vaccine card [sic] are accepted for proof of vaccination. As such U.S. Embassy Lisbon strongly recommends all U.S. citizens travelling from the United States to Portugal follow option 2, present a negative COVID 19 test before boarding
Following this advice which is also @trecile's advice is a safe bet. Unlike Spain who still requires proof of vaccination in order to be allowed entry on flights from non-EU countries as a general rule, Portugal allows entry of travellers from the US who are unvaccinated provided that they present proof of a negative test. So, in short, you can't go wrong with a negative test.

Last edited:
Were you transiting through LHR or originating from there? If transiting, did you originate in the US?

I assume it was a BA/AA flight???
I flew on United Denver - Boston - Heathrow, then TAP to Lisbon.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Unlike Spain who still requires proof of vaccination in order to be allowed entry on flights from non-EU countries as a general rule, Portugal allows entry of travellers from the US who are unvaccinated provided that they present proof of a negative test. So, in short, you can't go wrong with a negative test.

Hmmm <scratching head with a puzzled expression>

I did not read the embassy bulletin from the perspective that Portugal didn't care whether a person was vaccinated/recovered or not, only that they present a negative test. I read it from the perspective that the embassy was not speaking authoritatively in the absence of an explicit directive outside of an EU digital cert. My (admittedly hidden) assumption was that vaccination/recovery was still a requirement.

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the suggestion that I can travel to Portugal without any requirement other than a negative test.

Last edited:
Hmmm <scratching head with a puzzled expression>
Portugal is not different from France in this respect and their current requirements are clear: a traveller on a flight from the USA has to present a valid proof of vaccination or a valid proof of a negative test. Not both. Where France and Portugal differ, is clear language as to what is a valid proof of vaccination for entry to France and for entry to Portugal in those cases where the document used as proof is not an EU DCC or an EU DCCE.

Portugal is not different from France in this respect and their current requirements are clear: a traveller on a flight from the USA has to present a valid proof of vaccination or a valid proof of a negative test. Not both. Where France and Portugal differ, is clear language as to what is a valid proof of vaccination for entry to France and for entry to Portugal in those cases where the document used as proof is not an EU DCC or an EU DCCE.
Thanks for patiently walking this dunderhead through it.

€149,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.