• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portugal=cobblestones

D

Deleted member 397

This has been mentioned under different topics on this forum but i think it is worth stressing that portugal has a lot of cobblestone areas...do not underestimate them as your feet will be subtly twisting and turning ....and chose appropriate footwear which for me me was zamberlan boots with gel insoles

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I walked the Portuguese Camino from Porto, with the majority walking on the Central route. Although my feet were "aware" of the many cobbles, I didn't really have much of a problem with them underfoot.
My modestly priced $60 Saucony trailrunners were fine and I had no blisters.

I love sight seeing walking on different stone paved streets not a novum to me.
Mindful walking was good for me.
You pay attetion wbere you set your feet so not to twist the ankles.
I walked partial inland with my Columbia's high enough to protect my ankle.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You need to watch your step with cobblestones but having just walked from Porto I didn't find them too troublesome. (An old pair or Meindl shoes served me well)
One of our party fell outside Porto cathedral but this was probably a combination of tiredness after a long overnight train journey plus cobbles. A rucksack on her back of course propelled her to the ground at speed.

I walked from Porto on 3rd August 2018 during a heatwave that lasted up to Barcellos and I developed a huge blister , first one ever. From there the weather became cooler and that was the end of blisters , right up to Finisterre. The excessive heat combined with cobblestones is a recipe for blisters.

I've walked 4 Caminos in Portugal and could say that cobblestones need some attention, especially in the rain. I remeber I had to buy a new pair of trail runners and start the Camino the next day in the downpoor. That was some experience as it was very slippery on the cobbles, almost like skating. In dry weather they were ok though and after some days walking in the rain on different terrain the soles adjusted and they they were no longer a threat to humanity :) The one camino in Portugal where there is less cobblestones is Portugues Interior from Viseu, that goes mainly through the fields and forests.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've walked 4 Caminos in Portugal and could say that cobblestones need some attention, especially in the rain. I remeber I had to buy a new pair of trail runners and start the Camino the next day in the downpoor. That was some experience as it was very slippery on the cobbles, almost like skating. In dry weather they were ok though and after some days walking in the rain on different terrain the soles adjusted and they they were no longer a threat to humanity :) The one camino in Portugal where there is less cobblestones is Portugues Interior, that goes mainly through the fields and forests.
The other Camino with less cobblestones is the seaside route north of Porto. Boardwalks and cooling breezes off the ocean. A totally different one and enjoyable compared to the central route with lots of road walking on cobblestones. The spiritual variation after joining the central route is also a good one although quite a bit of initial road walking although from memory on bitumen.
Enjoy.

I agree that the cobblestones need to be dealt with, especially if you are starting from Lisbon. They are everywhere, even surprisingly on country lanes. My Keens were either too worn or insufficient for my feet. I bought gel inserts along the way which helped. Consider nicely cushioned footwear and make sure they are not old!

And if you have poles, don't forget that many of the separations between the cobblestones are just large enough to catch the poles. As are the separations on the decking along the coastal route. Spain had the inquisition tortures. Portugal has cobblestones. You get blisters in odd places since your feet move in directions that you hadn't planned on.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've walked 4 Caminos in Portugal and could say that cobblestones need some attention, especially in the rain. I remeber I had to buy a new pair of trail runners and start the Camino the next day in the downpoor. That was some experience as it was very slippery on the cobbles, almost like skating. In dry weather they were ok though and after some days walking in the rain on different terrain the soles adjusted and they they were no longer a threat to humanity :) The one camino in Portugal where there is less cobblestones is Portugues Interior from Viseu, that goes mainly through the fields and forests.
I'd probably get lost on the Interior route. We had rain in Lisbon and those cobbles became smooth as glass! I had to think about every single step I took! If I were a figure skater, I could of had a lot of fun!😛

Daughter and I both were very happy that we had boots with thick soles for the cobblestones in Portugal. We have a lot of these in Germany, but they are smoother and not so hard on the feet, but the ones in Portugal are much, much tougher to walk on.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just so I know for a potential future CP, when you talk about the cobblestones, do you mean calçada portuguesa, the black and white mosaic pavements like in the photo below? Or are there different types of cobblestones on the trail?

Just so I know for a potential future CP, when you talk about the cobblestones, do you mean calçada portuguesa, the black and white mosaic pavements like in the photo below? Or are there different types of cobblestones on the trail?

View attachment 58211
yes, they look like that, although the majority on the Camino will be just one colour.

I agree that the cobblestones need to be dealt with, especially if you are starting from Lisbon. They are everywhere, even surprisingly on country lanes. My Keens were either too worn or insufficient for my feet. I bought gel inserts along the way which helped. Consider nicely cushioned footwear and make sure they are not old!
I remember reading how you hated the cobblestones, Elle! Thanks to your great e-books I am doing the CP coastal in October!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

View attachment 58211
Yes, those and everything else that's a square shape, plain, mosaic...whatever!

View attachment 58211
Technically, they are not cobblestones at all, which are natural, round stones. You actually will see a few roads here and there with ancient, round, stone cobblestones. The fabricated square ones that are now everywhere are called granite setts, in English. Cobblestones are a misnomer. I learned this some time ago by another forum member!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Fond memories of the miles and miles of cobblestones aka 'hobble stones' and granite sett's. What the Portuguese routes lack in elevation changes are made up by the challenges of cobblestones and granite sett's.
Even walking on asphalt roads was a welcome change to the endless cobble stones and granite sett's.
I found my Merrell's were largely up to the task, but don't under estimate them.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks, not a huge fan of walking on hard surfaces, the interior from Viseu sounds good, walked the primitive ,in April, I think it may be one of the caminos with the least road walking, though if anyone knows of a better camino in respect of the amount of "hard" surface I'd be pleased to know,
Thanks Bill

Usually the mosaic stones in parks etc. are rather even, so walking is similar to tarmac, concrete, smooth rocks etc. You don't have them that much. You have to worry about the crazy drivers and hobble stone roads with
no sidewalk and often washed out and uneven roadsides. The middle of the road is usually better, but take care. Most portuguese drivers seem to train for races. Even if they see you they don't turn away. 1m distance to a fast passing car is rather normal in Portugal, while in Spain most drivers slow down and/or turn to the other road side.

From what I remembered the "hobble stone" threat starts around Porto and up north . Even bigger national roads are not tarmaced anaymore. In the more southern parts from Lisbon to Porto it was more tarmac roads. Also Porto-Braga has still a lot of tarmac.
I think it has something to do with wealth. Tarmac is more costly and can't be repaired easily. Stones just need to be picked up again and some "high technology" like shovel and hammer will put them back into position.

Agricultural and forrest tracks in Portugal had been dirt or gravel similar to Spain. Not much difference in that.
With the wooden paths along the coast you can find something special which I found rather relaxing to walk. The ground is smooth and elastic and the sand from the beach reduces the tendency to get slippery while wet.
Disadvantage: you can't effective walk with walking poles here (the tip of the pole sticks into the gap between the planks).

Thanks, not a huge fan of walking on hard surfaces, the interior from Viseu sounds good, walked the primitive ,in April, I think it may be one of the caminos with the least road walking, though if anyone knows of a better camino in respect of the amount of "hard" surface I'd be pleased to know,
Thanks Bill

The Camino de Madrid doesn’t have many hard surfaces. There’s hardly any road walking for the entire camino and there are about four days in the middle where the majority of the trail is soft and sandy through pine forests.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks
The Camino de Madrid doesn’t have many hard surfaces. There’s hardly any road walking for the entire camino and there are about four days in the middle where the majority of the trail is soft and sandy through pine forests.

This has been mentioned under different topics on this forum but i think it is worth stressing that portugal has a lot of cobblestone areas...do not underestimate them as your feet will be subtly twisting and turning ....and chose appropriate footwear which for me me was zamberlan boots with gel insoles
My feet have never been the same.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Jungleboy is right! Camino de Madrid is intended to avoid the roads. They had also the idea to keep the ways clean of litter. Hope that also still applies.
As about everywhere in Spain hobble stone is not very common. Anyway, with different ground you will complain about other things, e.g. the dry adobe earth can be hard to your feet as well. You will also notice that loose sand which you encounter in some parts is just a another challenge while walking or cycling.

Camino Catalan from Montserrat to San Juan (via Huesca) is also not too much road walking.

Jungleboy is right! Camino de Madrid is intended to avoid the roads. They had also the idea to keep the ways clean of litter. Hope that also still applies.
As about everywhere in Spain hobble stone is not very common. Anyway, with different ground you will complain about other things, e.g. the dry adobe earth can be hard to your feet as well. You will also notice that loose sand which you encounter in some parts is just a another challenge while walking or cycling.

Camino Catalan from Montserrat to San Juan (via Huesca) is also not too much road walking.
Thanks for that, I will look into the Camino Catalan , maybe later this year or one for next year, easy enough to fly to Barcelonia, so many caminos, ,Joining the San Salvador with the primitive is also on my to do list along with the camino that crosses from the Norte, from San Vincente de la Barquera to Mansilla de las Mulas , El camino vadiniense y Leaniego.
Should probably start a thread with caminos with little asphalt, Pilger 99 I'm not really complaining , it's just that I can stay at home and walk on tarmac any day of the week, And our bodies haven't evolved to walk multi days on tarmac carrying a rucksac, .
Bill

Sorry, this is a bit off topic, but that rarely stops me. :)

I have done my share of complaining about those “cobblestone” sidewalks. And Surya is oh so right about how dangerous it is to walk on them in the rain. But as a Portuguese friend pointed out, they are both efficient and environmentally superior. The space between the stones allows much better drainage than a totally impervious sidewalk. And these stones can be taken out, repairs done underneath, and then the same stones get put back in place. Compare that to the public works in my town where getting to pipes under the sidewalk requires drills, breaking up concrete, and replacing it with new concrete.

And, as I’m sure @jungleboy will agree, the sound of the “tink, tink, tink” as the workers reinstall them is a indelible and not so unpleasant part of the Portuguese sound system.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
And, as I’m sure @jungleboy will agree, the sound of the “tink, tink, tink” as the workers reinstall them is a indelible and not so unpleasant part of the Portuguese sound system.

Definitely! (And I've heard it the last week or so as work has been going on near Praça de Camões in Chiado.) And the workers who install/repair calçada portuguesa are celebrated in society here. They're called calceteiros and there's even a statue of two of them in Lisbon. That said, lisboetas have a love-hate relationship with the cobblestones, because while they're distinct and attractive, they're also slippery to walk on, especially after rain and/or on the hills of Lisbon.

Last edited:
Resurrecting this thread, as I'm having a hard time finding an overall description of the road bed between Porto and Santiago.
I've walked the Francés and the Kumano Kodo in Japan, so I've had my share of shale, Roman roads, packed clay, tree roots, and steep stone steps. I have about ten days to walk some part of the Portugués and would like to ask ... at what point do the tile paths end? The Spanish border? Before? And then, how much of the trail is dirt?
Aside from walking some portion of the wood paths of the Coastal, how can I plan about a 150 km walk that maximizes my time on dirt roads?
Thanks.

Last edited:
@design4life the cobblestone does not end until you reach Spain. If you want to have a look at my blog that shows you many photos of the way we did it, you will see how much cobblestone there is. Click here to see the beginning of our journey from Porto on the Coastal and/or the Senda Litoral. Good luck with your planning.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@design4life the cobblestone does not end until you reach Spain. If you want to have a look at my blog that shows you many photos of the way we did it, you will see how much cobblestone there is. Click here to see the beginning of our journey from Porto on the Coastal and/or the Senda Litoral. Good luck with your planning.
I loved crossing over the bridge from Portugal into Spain because I knew that the cobblestones were ending. 😊

Thanks! I'm really enjoying your blog. Great photos and so much information on each stage. Lots to absorb.

If you find something you want to check, you might want to take a look at my GoPro footage of the VDLP from Seville to Salamanca. It's a more informative set that shows the actual walk speeded up by a factor of 10 so if you're wondering what a particular section looks like you can take a look.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Stones are like rain. You can walk happily with them or not. Or like the ocean when you swim respect it.
If your feet tent to react tender mounteneers class 2 boots may help you but they are heavier. If it’s your joints complaining my hooka one one helped but they are slick.
Walk mindful to avoid injuries.
I am usually a fall in progress when walking one of my legs sometimes goes off line. But I tried not to do two things at the same time. I walked to look around I stopped., to drink I stopped, to take a foto I stopped.
Dangerous area I accessed and looked for an alternative. Plus only walked in daylight.
On my first Camino Portuguese no fall. My second mostly streets and Forrest no fall. On Camino Via Augusta did not take my own advise and fell in super soft mud puddle size of a football field tried to avoid it and looked like the resident mudmonster just lovely. So care and mindful does it. A I try to laugh about myself.....

Sand excellent reminder. I got some excellent recommendations from friends down under. Sand gaiters. When walking on the beach.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back