• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Should we delay our trip to Portugal due to the current COVID situation?

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walden

Time of past OR future Camino
We are planned to travel to Portugal next week, to walk some of the camino there. There seems to be considerable concern about the current spike in COVID cases in Portugal. Is anyone currently in Portugal that can advise us as to whether we should hold off travelling for now?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I live in Lisbon. Without knowing anything about where you're coming from, how long you plan to stay, whether you're in an at-risk group, your vaccination status, whether you've caught the virus and recovered etc, it's a bit difficult to give solid advice, but in general, yes, I would suggest holding off.

The current situation is that despite being one of the three most vaccinated countries in the world, today Portugal set a record for positive cases (65,000 in 24 hours, in a country with 10 million people). It has averaged over 50,000 each day for over a week now.

We know that Omicron is more contagious but less severe than previous variants and that case numbers by themselves are not the be all and end all. If you come here and catch the virus, it's possible that you may only get a little sick or not sick at all. But for travel logistics, Omicron is very problematic because regulations haven't really adjusted to it. If you catch the virus, you'll have to isolate and that's going to be complicated in a foreign country and may also hinder your departure.

No one knows what will happen in the future but the virus does come in waves so if you could hold off for, say, two months until this wave recedes, the situation might be better.

I live in Lisbon. Without knowing anything about where you're coming from, how long you plan to stay, whether you're in an at-risk group, your vaccination status, whether you've caught the virus and recovered etc, it's a bit difficult to give solid advice, but in general, yes, I would suggest holding off.

The current situation is that despite being one of the three most vaccinated countries in the world, today Portugal set a record for positive cases (65,000 in 24 hours, in a country with 10 million people). It has averaged over 50,000 each day for over a week now.

We know that Omicron is more contagious but less severe than previous variants and that case numbers by themselves are not the be all and end all. If you come here and catch the virus, it's possible that you may only get a little sick or not sick at all. But for travel logistics, Omicron is very problematic because regulations haven't really adjusted to it. If you catch the virus, you'll have to isolate and that's going to be complicated in a foreign country and may also hinder your departure.

No one knows what will happen in the future but the virus does come in waves so if you could hold off for, say, two months until this wave recedes, the situation might be better.
Thanks for the feedback. I think the idea of getting caught in a quarantine due to catching it is the most worrying. It's an important consideration when traveling in another country. It looks like we'll postpone. Thanks for offering your opinion. We were on the fence about it, as we are both recovered from it since last autumn, but the spike there does seem like something may have to be done, imminently.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I wanted to do Lisbon coming from the US in a couple weeks, I am thinking about a move. I am triple vaccinated.

cases in Portugal +60% in the last 14 days, may decide to wait a bit.

Hopefully you can change you flights and schedule a couple weeks and see how things are by then.

I fly standby and can change last minute, makes it a bit easier.

I was vax-ed 245 days ago. I've now had a "break-through" Covid case and am over it.
I keep hearing hints of "recognition of recovered" as if it implies acceptance of natural immunity as well as vax's.
Is Portugal ( or Spain) recognizing "recovered"?
I've been wanting to get back since 2018. Missed 2019 and then Covid rolled into picture...

I was vax-ed 245 days ago. I've now had a "break-through" Covid case and am over it.
I keep hearing hints of "recognition of recovered" as if it implies acceptance of natural immunity as well as vax's.
Is Portugal ( or Spain) recognizing "recovered"?
I've been wanting to get back since 2018. Missed 2019 and then Covid rolled into picture...
In short, yes for Portugal. A cert proving recovery from infection is acceptable for entry. We checked, and have the certs. But, given the huge spike in cases I think the sensible option is to wait it out.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.