• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Portugal with random COVID passport controls on Valenca-Tui border starting Wednesday (Dec 1st 2021)

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
It seems that this will happen on the Portuguese side. Random controls of people crossing the border (from Spain to Portugal I presume). You need a COVID passport to be able to pass. €800,- in fine if you try to cross with no COVID passport.

Added: Re-reading the article it actually seems that they are also asking for a negative PCR test to be able to cross the border. This news is just off the presses so locals in the area are trying to clarify what this actually means. Either way, if you are planning to travel from Spain to Portugal by land over the next few days, a negative PCR test might be required.

More here:

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just another indication of how life could get tough for people without access to the COVID passport. I know that’s not a huge concern of the authorities right now, and that the main concern are the workers who go back and forth across the border daily, but I can’t find information on how people without a COVID passport are affected and what, if anything, they can do to comply.

I was in Portugal for two weeks in November and by some stroke of luck was there after the first batch of restrictions were rescinded and before the current batch was imposed, so I have no first hand experience with how non-COVID passport people can get by. But I do remember a few threads from the days of those earlier restrictions in which some pilgrims reported being able to use their CDC cards as the equivalent, though this was apparently nowhere in the regulations.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Added: Re-reading the article it actually seems that they are also asking for a negative PCR test to be able to cross the border.
This is consistent with the rule for air travellers arriving in Portugal that also comes into effect on Wednesday, although the official Portuguese declaration of these rules made no mention of land crossings.

Hi … just a quick question - and sorry if it’s a silly one - are the COVID passport and the EU Digital Covid certificate thé same thing?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When I entered Portugal from Canada in September (I think; it seems like years ago already!), immigration/health officials and establishments within the country all were happy to accept a Canadian equivalent of the EU vaccine passport. I would be surprised if this has changed.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Our US CDC card was accepted at most places, but occasionally rejected by some restaurants. I think that is the issue: if it’s not 100% clear that alternatives to the specifically stated type of certification will be accepted, who will risk a fine and/or police involvement to test the waters???! 😮

If I get this right, Portugal is requiring a recent (within last 48 hours) negative PCR test for Covid from anyone entering the country whether by plane, ship or overland. This is not a major issue for most international travellers. However, it is a major issue if you happen to live in Spain and work in Portugal, as do some 10000 Spanish workers. For them, it is a huge problem. Not surprisingly, people in Galicia are very upset about it.

If I get this right, Portugal is requiring a recent (within last 48 hours) negative PCR test for Covid from anyone entering the country whether by plane, ship or overland. This is not a major issue for most international travellers. However, it is a major issue if you happen to live in Spain and work in Portugal, as do some 10000 Spanish workers. For them, it is a huge problem. Not surprisingly, people in Galicia are very upset about it.
It seems that transborder workers are exempt from this:

(Translation of story from the RB Tribuna, covering Galicia and northern Portugal, translated)

"As part of the measures to combat the Covid-19 disease pandemic applied to land borders, which will remain open, the Government determined the following restrictions to be in force from 12:00 am on December 1, 2021:

1 – All citizens from countries outside the European Union (EU) and from countries considered to have a red or dark red risk level, when they do not have the EU Covid Digital Certificate (CDCUE) in the test or recovery modalities, must present a of two alternatives:

a) Laboratory proof of negative PCR test performed in the last 72 hours;
b) Laboratory proof of rapid antigen test performed in the last 48 hours and with a negative result.

2 - Citizens from EU countries considered to be at low or moderate risk must have CDCUE, in the form of vaccination, testing or recovery.

3 - Cross-border workers - considered as such for carrying out their professional activity within 30 kilometers of the border - and workers in essential services (such as transport of goods and passengers, emergency and relief, security and emergency services) must present the Digital Certificate in any of the three modalities."

I assume this is referring to "vaccination, testing or recovery, as mentioned above in #2.]

Link to original story (in Portuguese):

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
... and what would be expected policies for using public bus lines from, say, Braga in Portugal to the airport in Vigo? I'm assuming one should get a PCR test in Braga beforehand and hope/pray that they are available.

... and what would be expected policies for using public bus lines from, say, Braga in Portugal to the airport in Vigo? I'm assuming one should get a PCR test in Braga beforehand and hope/pray that they are available.
This is only an issue entering Portugal from Spain... leaving Portugal to Spain should not be an issue. You would be required to were masks on the bus and so on, but no paperwork required to cross into Spain.

This is only an issue entering Portugal from Spain... leaving Portugal to Spain should not be an issue. You would be required to were masks on the bus and so on, but no paperwork required to cross into Spain.
Thank-you, Ivar!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.