• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portugal's Fisherman's Trail...help!

Time of past OR future Camino
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
I'll be walking the Fisherman's trail in mid April with my adult son before starting the Portuguese camino from Porto. In reading the Rota Vicentina guidebook, I see there are ppssibly a few stretches of cliffwalking just a few inches from the edge without railings. I have a fear of heights (when there is no railing) so am now quite concerned as the guidebook says for people who have a fear of heights or vertigo it's not recommended. I've watched just a couple of utube videos that don't really seem to show the fearful parts.
I am committed to this plan, flights are booked and lodgings secured, but I now envision myself either being wind blown off a cliff or frozen in fear, unable to move. :eek:
Would I be able to walk the scary stretches by looking down at my feet or stepping back a little on the vegetation even though it's supposedly a 'no no'? Also, how long are these particular stretches...a few minutes or an hour?
Will I live to tell the tale? Can those of you who have walked this route give me any peace of mind?
I apologize for the many questioms, but I feel like a newbie even though I've walked 4 various caminos! Help!o_O

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi! Chris,
My wife and I have walked the Rota Vincentina a couple years back.
We are both fearful of heights.
Although some stretches(very few) are near cliffs, we never felt in danger or in panick. There's always plenty of room to avoid the type of situations where one would ''freeze''.
I am sure that you will be able to maneuver around these places with ease and enjoy the walk as much as we did.
Have a good one,
Jean-Marc

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Chris,

As I recall, the sections where the path carries you near the edge are neither very steep nor very high. Plus, either you'll be cursing the loose sand (bring hiking poles to spread your weight, possibly with snow baskets as well), or you'll be staring off at the amazing views down along the coast.

Good luck!

A bit off topic but I might also be on the Rota Vincentina around the same time so we might cross paths. Or if not there, maybe in Lisbon if you're passing through en route to Porto.

Hi Chris,

As I recall, the sections where the path carries you near the edge are neither very steep nor very high. Plus, either you'll be cursing the loose sand (bring hiking poles to spread your weight, possibly with snow baskets as well), or you'll be staring off at the amazing views down along the coast.

Good luck!
Thank you for that 'tip', both seriously, and pun intended.;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A bit off topic but I might also be on the Rota Vincentina around the same time so we might cross paths. Or if not there, maybe in Lisbon if you're passing through en route to Porto.
My son and I start walking from Porto Covo in the morning on April 20th. If you happen to see a mother/son team along the way, pause to say hello!
P.S. We will be in Lisbon April 16-18.

My son and I start walking from Porto Covo in the morning on April 20th. If you happen to see a mother/son team along the way, pause to say hello!
P.S. We will be in Lisbon April 16-18.

In that case we'll have already finished (if we do it at all, it's just speculation at this point), as I'll be on a plane on the 20th. But perhaps we can meet up in Lisbon, especially if we've already done it and have tips about the cliffwalking!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
it sounds like perhaps this is an opportunity to face your phobia is a supportive environment that´s proven safe by dozens of previous hikers? Poco a poco, the camino will bring you to the end of yourself, and show you you are much stronger than you think!
And so for all of us, no matter where we walk.
Thanks Rebekah. Best post of the day...100 likes.

In reading the Rota Vicentina guidebook, I see there are ppssibly a few stretches of cliffwalking just a few inches from the edge without railings.

Hi Chris, this photo is part of the Fisherman’s Trail, near Odeceixe. I also have a problem with heights, and this path was close enough for me, but manageable. It was quite heavy going sometimes because the sand was very soft in parts. I hope the photo helps with visualising what the path is like in places.
Jill

108a.jpg

Thank you, Jill, it does help to see that picture and it looks very doable to me! Someone had mentioned earlier of a sheer 100' drop off with the trail only about an inch away from the edge. Hopefully that was a very short section, if true! Another person mentioned a few rock scrambles that were difficult with a backpack. What was your experience with that?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Another person mentioned a few rock scrambles that were difficult with a backpack. What was your experience with that?

Hi Chris, I walked the Historical Trail, not the Fisherman’s Trail, as it was winter. I didn’t know what the weather would be like in February, and I didn’t want to be on cliff edges in wind and rain! I detoured off the Historical Trail and onto the Fisherman’s Trail, to do the extra 5kms loop before Odeceixa (which is on both routes), because I had a short day (from Rogil) and the weather was good that day.

I was walking south to north, and people I met walking in the opposite direction said they had a lot of soft sand while on sections of the Fisherman’s trail – but that it was worth it for the scenery! No-one mentioned any rock scrambles, but I expect you’ll get a few steep ups and downs on rocky terrain – we had a few on the Historical Trail, but nothing difficult and I can’t remember exactly where they were.

Jill

My husband and I walked the Fisherman Trail in 2015. He does not do well with heights, but had no problems and never felt we were too close to the edge.

Hi Chris, I walked the beautiful Fisherman Trail, starting in Cabo Vincente, on March 12, 2018. I am also a bit afraid of heights, but I have to say, with all the spectacular scenery, I kind of forgot that fear and had a wonderful journey, which I am positive will be the same for you. Enjoy every moment of it, be in the ´´here and now’’ and leave the fear home.;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Chris, I walked the beautiful Fisherman Trail, starting in Cabo Vincente, on March 12, 2018. I am also a bit afraid of heights, but I have to say, with all the spectacular scenery, I kind of forgot that fear and had a wonderful journey, which I am positive will be the same for you. Enjoy every moment of it, be in the ´´here and now’’ and leave the fear home.;)

This is my first time posting on this site for a long time so I hope this gets through. I hope to walk the Portuguese in March 2019 starting from Cabo Vicente. Where do you find info on the Fisherman's trail, please?

Incidentally, I too am very bad with heights. In 2017 I walked from Seville to Salamanca and then transferred to the Portuguese starting at Coimbra. Walking across a couple of the viaducts was very hard for me so I just looked straight ahead and powered on as quickly as I could.

Hi Donald,
I found good information on the Fisherman's Trail from the Rota Vicentina website. It is very thorough with lots of helpful information. In addition I am using the guidebook, available to order on their website. (I was given the book by a kind forum member.) I am using it to plan daily stages and am booking accomodation ahead of time as I have no idea what to expect in terms of how many other walkers. My undestanding is that there is "not much" in between the recommended stages. I will be walking north to south.
I hope you have a great trip!

Hi Donald,
I found good information on the Fisherman's Trail from the Rota Vicentina website. It is very thorough with lots of helpful information. In addition I am using the guidebook, available to order on their website. (I was given the book by a kind forum member.) I am using it to plan daily stages and am booking accomodation ahead of time as I have no idea what to expect in terms of how many other walkers. My undestanding is that there is "not much" in between the recommended stages. I will be walking north to south.
Thank you Chris. Same to you!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Same thing for me Donald, I went on the Rota Vicentina website http://en.rotavicentina.com/ and it’s all good. For accomodation, I mostly used booking.com as I purchased a SIM card with data, in Faro. I mentionned I started that Trail on March 12, 2018 and there was not that many other walkers.

So Chris and Donald, enjoy your trip.

Same thing for me Donald, I went on the Rota Vicentina website http://en.rotavicentina.com/ and it’s all good. For accomodation, I mostly used booking.com as I purchased a SIM card with data, in Faro. I mentionned I started that Trail on March 12, 2018 and there was not that many other walkers.

So Chris and Donald, enjoy your trip.
Thank you, Ghislaine. I look forward to it.

Hi Chris, my husband and I walked the fisherman's trail about 4yrs ago starting in Porto Covo, north to south. To be truthful there are places with narrow trails which are up high. I feel from what I remember that you could lean inland away from the coast when possible. The suggestion of poles is a good idea to psychologically steady you. Look at the trail or straight ahead to keep you from looking down. The views are amazing with beautiful beaches etc. Its so unspoilt. You may know it is a UNESCO heritage area on account of the fantastic flora. You will enjoy this as it will be Spring when you are there. We only prebooked first night accommodation and then booked daily with booking.com and had no problem. We also used the Rota Vincentina site for information. It's very well marked with blue and green posts.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Also, might be useful to consider having your bag transferred on some parts of the trail where there is some climbing of rocks. When I walked I did think that a heavy backpack would make you unsteady on these parts especially if there was wind. Not trying to scare you, just a consideration.

We traveled south to north, the opposite of you. On the day we went from Almograve to Vila Nova de Milfontes we climbed the steepest section of the trail we encountered (you'd be descending it). It came just after we passed a cove where fishermen were hauling their boats ashore. If you take your time, you'll be just fine.

But, if you think it's something you don't want to tackle, check the guidebook - maybe there's an alternate route. They may have installed ropes by this time. If not, this is one place where you'll want to have your hands free, so hiking sticks should be stowed as they tend to get in the way.

I've attached a file that shows just some of the awesome things you may see.

Attachments

• Chris.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 37
Hi Donald,

I walked north to south March 2016 starting from Santiago do Cacém then crossing over to the Fisherman's Trail in Porto Covo down to Cabo de San Vicente. I posted quite some pictures so kook through the old threads.

There are about 2 days of soft sand but the scenery is so spectacular that it makes up for the hard work. I have walked many Caminos but the pure nature on this trail beats them all. What it does lack is history and cultural sites. Infrastructure is very good with reasonable hostels with sheets and towels!

it will be wonderful!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Wonderful! I look forward to this new type of journey! I will follow it up with the Portuguese route so will get some of the "other stuff" hopefully on that portion.

This is my first time posting on this site for a long time so I hope this gets through. I hope to walk the Portuguese in March 2019.
In 2017 I walked from Seville to Salamanca
And that, @Donaldclive is where I last saw you! Maybe our paths will cross in Santiago next spring, although I will likely be there later than you - in April.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We traveled south to north, the opposite of you. On the day we went from Almograve to Vila Nova de Milfontes we climbed the steepest section of the trail we encountered (you'd be descending it). It came just after we passed a cove where fishermen were hauling their boats ashore. If you take your time, you'll be just fine.

But, if you think it's something you don't want to tackle, check the guidebook - maybe there's an alternate route. They may have installed ropes by this time. If not, this is one place where you'll want to have your hands free, so hiking sticks should be stowed as they tend to get in the way.

I've attached a file that shows just some of the awesome things you may see.
Dear Ray!

Im planning to Start Camino from Rota Vicentina, in the beggining i want to go on Fischermans trail, and then Camino Historico.
I dont have a map yet, for Fischermans trail. I tried to find some apps, but cant really find the exact way.
Do you have any advices, useful information for me?

Thank you,
Lilla 🙂

Dear Ray!

Im planning to Start Camino from Rota Vicentina, in the beggining i want to go on Fischermans trail, and then Camino Historico.
I dont have a map yet, for Fischermans trail. I tried to find some apps, but cant really find the exact way.
Do you have any advices, useful information for me?

Thank you,
Lilla 🙂
Lilla , maybe you didn't notice but this tread is from late 2018. 🙏

I recommend going to the Rota Vicentina website - it has a wealth of information along with maps, places to stay, where to eat, etc. I mentioned a guidebook in my post but that may have been something the Rota sent us when we became members - not sure there was an official one besides that one three years ago. We did not download any software. We found that what we had, along with the trail markings to be more than adequate.

The Rota is absolutely spectacular! As I mentioned, we started in Sagres and headed north, and enjoyed every mile. Good luck!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back