A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Portugués April 20 Lisbon to Santiago dC

Camino Badges

Louis Lloyd

Camino(s) past & future
2018 French SJPP to Fisterra and Muxia completed
2020 Portuguese from Lisbon
2020 French
We did a full Frances Camino in May 2018 ending at Fisterra and Muxia.
2020 is a big year for us my 70th and our 50th wedding anniversary. We are planning to leave Lisbon early April 2020 and allowing for 35 days to SdC. Gives us a couple lay days and days in Porto.
My question is whether the infrastructure will be functioning when we commence, say, 3 April. I refer to albergue, pensions, cafes, water fountains, hostels and hotels. Will be in Tomar by 10th April (my birthday and Easter Friday)
We prefer to walk in cool temperatures- in 2018 we were in 5c to 20c range generally. Are we planning leave too early in the season. Would love to hear some feedback from pilgrims who have walked over this period.

PK Smit

Camino(s) past & future
(015)Irun to Santiago
(017)Lisboa to S
2018Caminha to Santiago
(2018) Camino English Ferrol Santiago
We have walked that route in April 2016 without any problems regarding any of your concerns

Elle Bieling

Elle Bieling, PilgrimageTraveler
Camino(s) past & future
Inglés, '14 '17 Finisterre, '14 '17 '18 Primitivo, '15 '18 Portuguese, '17, '18 San Salvador, '18
We walked in April, and had no trouble with services. If you are in Tomar on the holiday, as we were, be prepared for crowds, and potential closings of restaurants. You may want to book ahead. We loved the private albergue, Hostal 2300 Tomar, which also has private rooms and they take reservations. Ask the locals about restaurants and other closures. The Templar castle, worth a day's visit was not closed! We did have some very hot days out of Lisbon. But there was a heat wave that year. Be prepared anyway, to leave early, and stop early, if the weather is hot. The flowers, the oranges, the farmer's spring activities and green shoots everywhere were gorgeous at this time of year! If you want to see lots of info/photos of our journey, start here: Camino Portugues from Lisbon. Buen Camino!

Louis Lloyd

Camino(s) past & future
2020 French
We walked in April, and had no trouble with services. If you are in Tomar on the holiday, as we were, be prepared for crowds, and potential closings of restaurants. You may want to book ahead. We loved the private albergue, Hostal 2300 Tomar, which also has private rooms and they take reservations. Ask the locals about restaurants and other closures. The Templar castle, worth a day's visit was not closed! We did have some very hot days out of Lisbon. But there was a heat wave that year. Be prepared anyway, to leave early, and stop early, if the weather is hot. The flowers, the oranges, the farmer's spring activities and green shoots everywhere were gorgeous at this time of year! If you want to see lots of info/photos of our journey, start here: Camino Portugues from Lisbon. Buen Camino!

Louis Lloyd

Camino(s) past & future
2020 French
Thanks Elle. Yes we were wondering about the effect of holidays and crowds. We don’t do heat too well when walking hence the early April start. Our Frances Camino commenced in early May from SJpdP and the colours of the fields and wild flowers just magnificent. Cheers

Gail Dickson

Camino(s) past & future
Frances April 2016
Portugese from Lisbon 2018
Via Francigena (2020)
We did a full Frances Camino in May 2018 ending at Fisterra and Muxia.
2020 is a big year for us my 70th and our 50th wedding anniversary. We are planning to leave Lisbon early April 2020 and allowing for 35 days to SdC. Gives us a couple lay days and days in Porto.
My question is whether the infrastructure will be functioning when we commence, say, 3 April. I refer to albergue, pensions, cafes, water fountains, hostels and hotels. Will be in Tomar by 10th April (my birthday and Easter Friday)
We prefer to walk in cool temperatures- in 2018 we were in 5c to 20c range generally. Are we planning leave too early in the season. Would love to hear some feedback from pilgrims who have walked over this period.
We walked from Lisbon beginning April 6 in 2018. Had no problem with accommodation and the weather was cool. Quite a bit of rain though in that year.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 155 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 259 25.0%