• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portugues Camino in Early October?

Jo Jo

Time of past OR future Camino
Eight routes; nine pilgrimages 2014-present
I've got a couple of days off in early October (basically, the Jewish High Holidays), and my wife and I were thinking about walking one of the Portuguese routes in the first couple of weeks of October. Last summer we walked a pilgrimage from Florence to Assisi which, in addition to being unbearably hot, also had a total of five other pilgrims on it (in 13 days). We missed our Camino "family" and discovered that, for us, other pilgrims make the pilgrimage.

So the question is how many people are likely to be walking from Portugal that time of year? I know exact numbers are impossible to predict; I'm just looking for "saw maybe one or two other pilgrims every day" or "saw about 20 (or 50, etc.) pilgrims every day" and on which Portuguese route (coastal, inland).

If the answer is "not many pilgrims," any suggestions for alternative, more populated, routes that time of year would be welcome.

Thanks,
Jo Jo

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I will be walking from Valenca in sept, I dont see lot of pilgrims walking around my time either, most are walking may either the frances or portuges:(

I think the Portuguese Camino has been discovered. Lots of pilgrims are talking about walking it this year. I belong to a Camino Facebook group in Australia and it is getting a lot of attention. My wife and I are walking it from Porto starting late April.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am just back last saturday from the caminho Portugues , not having walked but celebrated Christmas and New Year at the very popular albergue casa da Fernanda , being invited with my wife by the family , on the central route between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima.
My wife and I walked the caminho Portugues twice , once in 2013 from Lisbon, the central route.
In 2024 a different route in the north of Galicia but after finishing we stayed as casa da Fernanda as their guests for some time and in 2015 we walked from close to the Porto airport -Albergue Mosteiro do Vairão-to Casa da Fernanda and helped there as hospitaleiro for some time before walking on at the coastal route from Viana do Castelo to Pontevedra.
From Pontevedra we walked the so called Variante Espiritual do caminho Português to Padrón -see the sub forum of this special caminho -and continued on the central route from Padrón to Santiago to finish there.
We walked our caminhos in May to beginning of June.
So far so good.

I have had a look at the numbers of pilgrims who visited casa da Fernanda in 2015 and I can tell you if you walk the caminho Portugues CENTRAL from Porto you definitively will meet other pilgrims in september or october. And if you like to stay at Fernanda's I advice you to give her a call in advance to be sure you will have a bed !
Tel. + 351 914 589 521.

The central route for your info -because there is a lot of misunderstanding -leads from Lisbon to Porto and from there to Vilarinho (first part unpleasantly leading through the busy infrastructure north of Porto but at Vairão starts the rural part- alternative is the relaxing coastal walk from Porto to Vila do Conde)
São Pedro de Rates, Barcelos, Ponte de Lima, Rubiães, Valença do Minho/Tui, O Porriño, Redondela,Pontevedra,Caldas de Reis, Padrón to Santiago de Compostella.

If you choose for the coastal route from Porto,Vila do Conde/Povoa de Varzim, Esposende,Viana do Castelo, Caminha,a Guarda , Oia/Mougas, Baiona,Vigo, Redondela you will meet less pilgrims in september /october untill you will reach the central route for the last days you walk to reach Santiago.

About our last stay at Fernanda's We arrived at Christmas eve 24 th of December and there was one Brasilean couple -they made the pilgrimmage on their honeymoon-
On Christmas day arrived a young Czech girl. In between Christmas and New Year only passed by a couple of pilgrims . On New Years Eve a German pilgrim stayed and after New Year a Czech lady who worked for the Czech television and did a video interview with Fernanda about the caminho Portugues, her albergue and her role as "mama Fernanda" for the pilgrims.
The last day we were at Fernanda's arrived a pilgrim from the USA .
So even during the dark last days of the year there are pilgrims "en route"

Bom caminhoimage.jpeg

hi walked from porto on the 25th november 6 days solo walking also solo each night. then met three pilgrims two spanish one portugues in redondela a little familey till santiago lovely.

If starting from Lisbon, there are likely to be far fewer pilgrims. During my week of walking from Tomar to Albergaria during mid-September I encountered no pilgrims walking the first 3 days (I did see a few in the albergues). Numbers increased moving northward, but were still small. Unfortunately, I fell and broke my kneecap 5 k before Albergaria, only 160 k into my camino. I was able to walk the 5 k to Albergaria and received wonderful help from the hospitalerio at the albergue there, Joaquim. I had to return home, but plan to go back next fall and start from the exact point I had to quit. I loved the frances in 2014, with lots of pilgrims, and I loved the Portuguese, with few.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If starting from Lisbon, there are likely to be far fewer pilgrims. During my week of walking from Tomar to Albergaria during mid-September I encountered no pilgrims walking the first 3 days (I did see a few in the albergues). Numbers increased moving northward, but were still small. Unfortunately, I fell and broke my kneecap 5 k before Albergaria, only 160 k into my camino. I was able to walk the 5 k to Albergaria and received wonderful help from the hospitalerio at the albergue there, Joaquim. I had to return home, but plan to go back next fall and start from the exact point I had to quit. I loved the frances in 2014, with lots of pilgrims, and I loved the Portuguese, with few.
We walked in May 2013 from Lisbon and met the first pilgrim in Santarèm, an American guy who walked with us as far as Coimbra.
In Tomar we slept at the Bombeiros Volontarios with 2 Italians and a Czech lady.
In Mealhada joined a group of 3 Brasilians.
Later in Agueda joined a German guy and first in Porto we met more pilgrims.
The lot ,most Spanish, start in Tui for the last 100 kms to obtain the certificate.

It's between the Via Francigena from Geneva or this. I believe the Via Fran will be to solitary an endeavor for me now as I do love the social aspect of the Frances. I hope to start in Lisbon sometime at the end of June and until them I'll soak in all that I can from this portion of the forum.

Bom Caminho

It's between the Via Francigena from Geneva or this. I believe the Via Fran will be to solitary an endeavor for me now as I do love the social aspect of the Frances. I hope to start in Lisbon sometime at the end of June and until them I'll soak in all that I can from this portion of the forum.

Bom Caminho

I think you are confusing the Via Francigena (in Italy) with the Via Gebennensis from Geneva to Le Puy, see http://www.vwv.cz/jakub/francie1_en.php
Buen Camino, SY

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I think the Portuguese Camino has been discovered. Lots of pilgrims are talking about walking it this year. I belong to a Camino Facebook group in Australia and it is getting a lot of attention. My wife and I are walking it from Porto starting late April.

i leave Porto to walk the Coastal route on the 26 April but will be in the city for a couple of days beforehand, hope to meet up at some point. Buen Camino

With my time allotment I had thought I'd start the Via Francigena in Geneva instead of Canterbury and finish in Rome.

Only one problem: The Via Francigena doesn't pass through Geneva, it passes through Lausanne, ~60km to the north-east. Bon Chemin, SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Only one problem: The Via Francigena doesn't pass through Geneva, it passes through Lausanne, ~60km to the north-east. Bon Chemin, SY
Yes, one in the same. Fly into Geneva, transport to Lausanne with first night in Vevey at Notre Dame parish possibly. At least I think it's the same route ;)

I will be walking from Valenca in sept, I dont see lot of pilgrims walking around my time either, most are walking may either the frances or portuges:(
I am walking from Porto in September

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think I sent a mail, I will be starting to walk from Valencia on the 6th of September staying the first three nights 3rd,4th, and 5th at the Paris hostal so you can turn that frown into a smile. I am from Australia have walked the CF twice prior just looking for something not as crowded and different.

I think I sent a mail, I will be starting to walk from Valencia on the 6th of September staying the first three nights 3rd,4th, and 5th at the Paris hostal so you can turn that frown into a smile. I am from Australia have walked the CF twice prior just looking for something not as crowded and different.

:) Yay finally hehe...although i wont be there until the 16th is good to see im not the only one. ..dint think it's gonna be crowded :rolleyes:

From Valencia ? That's on the east coast of Spain. Allmost 1000 km from Portugal

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
:) Yay finally hehe...although i wont be there until the 16th is good to see im not the only one. ..dint think it's gonna be crowded :rolleyes:
Our paths may cross as I am in no hurry, I have 3 months in Spain this trip.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Dear people, In April, we will cycle from Seville to Santiago de Compostella on our recumbent tandem. It will be our first time cycling a camino and we are really looking forward to it. After...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back