• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portugues or Norte?

Rossco

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2015, Camino Portugues 2017, Camino Finisterre 2017, Le Puy Route (Sept. 2018)
I've reached a point of indecision. I have a a flight booked from Paris to Lisbon to start the Camino Portugues on August 30, as well as accommodation. I'm now having second thoughts and considering the Camino Norte from San Sebastián. My flights and accommodation can be cancelled. I've been researching the Camino Norte and it looks quite stunning. Has anyone experienced both these Caminos and if so would they recommend changing to the Norte. I walked the Camino Frances in 2014 and found it quite challenging at times but not too bad. I did a few mid 40km days and one 53km day. Is the Norte harder than the Frances? Held! I can't make up my mind.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Has anyone experienced both these Caminos and if so would they recommend changing to the Norte.

Well, the caminos are different. I walk the Camino Francés for socializing, the Norte for stunning scenery and Menu del Dias, and the Portugués for the wonderful, hospitable, friendly, charming people. Have fun, whichever you choose.
Jill

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked the Norte from San Sebastian to Llanes and the the Portuguese from Porto through the Central. Put it this way: when finishing the Portuguese I wondered if I was perhaps done with Caminos as I often wondered what the attraction was. Happy to report there is still plenty Camino walking for me, just not on that route again.

Another vote for the Norte, for its natural beauty, important cultural city life, food.

I walked the Norte from San Sebastian to Llanes and the the Portuguese from Porto through the Central. Put it this way: when finishing the Portuguese I wondered if I was perhaps done with Caminos as I often wondered what the attraction was. Happy to report there is still plenty Camino walking for me, just not on that route again.

Another vote for the Norte, for its natural beauty, important cultural city life, food.

I begin the Camino Portugues in August, leaving from Porto like you did!
Am interested in what aspects of that route didn't you enjoy?
I visited both Bilbao and Santander last May, and saw lots of pilgrims passing through!
I agree that part of Spain is stunning, however the majority of the Norte means walking along the coast, which I thought may get a bit boring day after day!

I begin the Camino Portugues in August, leaving from Porto like you did!
Am interested in what aspects of that route didn't you enjoy?
I visited both Bilbao and Santander last May, and saw lots of pilgrims passing through!
I agree that part of Spain is stunning, however the majority of the Norte means walking along the coast, which I thought may get a bit boring day after day!
The norte keeps taking your breath away. It's jaw dropping beauty from the cliffs. Portuguese, blah when it comes to the scenary. I was really glad I chose the Variante Espiritual on the Portuguese, with the Poio monastery, the walk down the Ruta de piedra y agua. Pontevedra is a beautiful city I enjoyed, Valenca and Tui little jewels, but tiny and you have walked through them very quickly, same with Ponte de Lima. In between thm it's, well, blah. Imhardly took any photos on the Pt, kept taking them on the Norte.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hands down the Norte (after having done the Norte from Irún and both the Interior and the Costa from Porto).

I thought the Norte had a bit too much asphalt until I walked in Portugal! I don't see me walking from Lisbon due to all the hard surfaces. I also do not understand all the fuss about either the Interior or the Costa route from Porto. Neither would I repeat.

The scenery along the Norte is drop dead beautiful, IMHO much more stunning than the coast from Porto onwards. I spent the first several days walking the Senda Litoral which I found very built up.

Just my 2 cents (back home Monday after finishing the Norte, walking the Caminho Portugês da Costa and the Inglés from Ferrol).

Last edited:
I have not done the North, but I'm a bigger fan of cities (historical places) and food than of landscapes, so the Portuguese was perfect for me!
The food is even better than in the Frances, and the people are awesome! Porto, Ponte de lima, Valença and Pontevedra were lovely places!
I doubt you would regret doing that camino if you decide to keep your bookings. But if you prefer landscapes, you may indeed think about other routes.

I have not done the North, but I'm a bigger fan of cities (historical places) and food than of landscapes, so the Portuguese was perfect for me!... But if you prefer landscapes, you may indeed think about other routes...
Oh, Anamya, if you like the cities with history and food, you will be in for a treat when you walk the Norte. Food on the Portuguese may be better than on the Frances, but that is not hard to do, and even then, it's barely better.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Oh, Anamya, if you like the cities with history and food, you will be in for a treat when you walk the Norte. Food on the Portuguese may be better than on the Frances, but that is not hard to do, and even then, it's barely better.

If you say I can find heaps of history and good food on the Norte, then I'm sold for that one as well :D It's been already 2 months I came back from my Portuguese camino, maybe it's time to start planning the next one!

Would you have a recommended route for people who usually acn only take 2 weeks vacation? :p No need to end in Santiago, although I love the city!

(and I have to say I LOOOOVEEEDDD every meal on the Português and had more pasteis de nata than it would be humanly appropriate :) )

Would you have a recommended route for people who usually acn only take 2 weeks vacation? :p No need to end in Santiago, although I love the city!

I started in San Sebastian, but you can also start 1-2 stages before, in Irun. Super easy access if you come in through Paris. But from Irun to Sn Sebastian the walk is tough. There is an albergue mid-way but tiny. There are also two routes, the alpinist route (tougher) and the lower route, which is apparently quite challenging on its own. I started in San Sebastian because I flew into Barcelona and trained to San Seb.

The train and bus lines are excellent along the Norte, so where ever you finish, it will be easy to get back to a major down for a flight, train, bus connect to where you will be leaving Spain from. Two weeks can get you to Santander, and you can come back there and pick up where you left off.

Look up fabada, pote asturiano, also carbayones. Yum! And delicious pinxos and txacoli, the Basque sparkling wine. Oh, the cider as well, served from dwarfs like serving devices sitting on the counter tops. And vermud solera. San Sebastian has many world renouned restaurants, Michelin stared, or not. A fuego negro or the Cuchara de San Telmo,for pinxos in the old town. In Zarautz, Karlos Arguinano has an excellent restaurant at very resonable prices (on purpose, as he wants everyone to be able to have access to a good meal).

Last edited by a moderator:
Look up fabada, pote asturiano, also carbayones. Yum! And delicious pinxos and txacoli, the Basque sparkling wine. Oh, the cider as well, served from dwarfs like serving devices sitting on the counter tops. And vermud solera. San Sebastian has many world renouned restaurants, Michelin stared, or not. A fuego negro or the Cuchara de San Telmo,for pinxos in the old town.

(*yelling to husband*) Dear, go get the mochilas that I've just sorted our next food... camino trip! :D

That sounds wonderful. I still keep my fond memories and do not regret at all walking the Portuguese Camino (which I did enjoy heeeeaps), but then Norte may be the next! :D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've reached a point of indecision. I have a a flight booked from Paris to Lisbon to start the Camino Portugues on August 30, as well as accommodation. I'm now having second thoughts and considering the Camino Norte from San Sebastián. My flights and accommodation can be cancelled. I've been researching the Camino Norte and it looks quite stunning. Has anyone experienced both these Caminos and if so would they recommend changing to the Norte. I walked the Camino Frances in 2014 and found it quite challenging at times but not too bad. I did a few mid 40km days and one 53km day. Is the Norte harder than the Frances? Held! I can't make up my mind.

@Rossco If you're lucky enough to have the time to walk the Camino Norte, I suggest you take it. The Norte has spectacular views along the entire route and the weather will still be nice enough at the end of August to go for a swim at the end of each day to help relax. As your already a seasoned pilgrim, I would say the Norte is well within your skill level. If you're looking for inspiration for why you should start in San Sebastian, check out: http://www.traveltomastery.com/camino-de-santiago-northern-way/

@Rossco If you're lucky enough to have the time to walk the Camino Norte, I suggest you take it. The Norte has spectacular views along the entire route and the weather will still be nice enough at the end of August to go for a swim at the end of each day to help relax. As your already a seasoned pilgrim, I would say the Norte is well within your skill level. If you're looking for inspiration for why you should start in San Sebastian, check out: http://www.traveltomastery.com/camino-de-santiago-northern-way/
Thanks. I'll check it out. I'm leaning towards the Norte. On your opinion is it harder than the Frances? Are there more mountains?

Thanks. I'll check it out. I'm leaning towards the Norte. On your opinion is it harder than the Frances? Are there more mountains?
Yup, unlike the Frances where there are only a few "breath taking" ones along the way, on the Norte they keep comming at you, especially in the first third. But again, nothing technical, just more huffing and puffing. But totally doable, evwn for the very unfit like me.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

What was the problem with the Portuguese section? I've done a large portion of the French route twice, and am turned off by the crowds... I am looking at going from Porto to Santiago next year and would love to hear what you didn't like about it... thanks!

Yup, unlike the Frances where there are only a few "breath taking" ones along the way, on the Norte they keep comming at you, especially in the first third. But again, nothing technical, just more huffing and puffing. But totally doable, evwn for the very unfit like me.
Do you have to bring your own tent, cooking stuff, etc.. on the Camino Norte? Or are there places to spend the night along the way?

Do you have to bring your own tent, cooking stuff, etc.. on the Camino Norte? Or are there places to spend the night along the way?
Noooo... there are albergues on the Norte. It is acommonly walked Camino. Granted no albergue every 5-7km, or only one option in town sometimes, but it is not roughing it. Lots of rstaurants, grocery stores as well. Get a guidebook, even online guides like Eroski and Gronze show you all your sleeping options and bars.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What was the problem with the Portuguese section? I've done a large portion of the French route twice, and am turned off by the crowds... I am looking at going from Porto to Santiago next year and would love to hear what you didn't like about it... thanks!
Boring, that's all. Sprinkled with a few lovely towns, but in between t is very blah. Only pretty section is on the Variante Espiritual. Quiet days walking, but full albergues in the evening, so for that reason it may be right for you.

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back