Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portugues or Primitivo?

katie@camino

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, SJPDP-Finisterre 2016;CP (Central) Porto-SdC 2017;CP (Coastal) Porto-SdC 2018;CF Leon-SdC 2019
Hi all,

I am a fit and active 36 year old but my knees, back, hammies, calves and ankles behave more like cranky 80 year olds.

I had intended to walk the Camino Primitivo in end-June to mid-July (giving myself 16 days) but i badly sprained my ankle 2 days ago. I completed the Camino Frances last year, albeit with some knee pain and many rest days.

I am now considering walking the Camino Portugues instead.

Would any forum members be able to advise on the difficulty of the terrain of the Camino Portugues vs the Camino Primitivo?

My physio and i will appreciate any and all feedback.

Thankyou :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
No doubt the Portuguese (central) is super flat in comparison to the Primitivo and with more pavement/road and much less natural ground terrain than the Primitivo.

Having done both recently, the Portugues is a much easier option. If you take the Variante Espiritual on the Portugues you will find a long ascent and descent on that route, but otherwise the Portugues is a gentle route. In particular there are none of the long knee-hammering descents that you find on the Primitivo. I'm speaking as one who has had two knee operations...

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Having had my legs and feet hammered by long repetitive flat tarmac and compacted gravel for days on end on the VDLP in the last month, there is something to be said for variety of terrain and surface, not just flatness.

Having done both recently, the Portugues is a much easier option. If you take the Variante Espiritual on the Portugues you will find a long ascent and descent on that route, but otherwise the Portugues is a gentle route. In particular there are none of the long knee-hammering descents that you find on the Primitivo. I'm speaking as one who has had two knee operations...

Thankyou NickMJ - what did you think of the Portugues? I worry it may be a little flat and boring/unchallenging? Which would you be more likely to do again?

Having had my legs and feet hammered by long repetitive flat tarmac and compacted gravel for days on end on the VDLP in the last month, there is something to be said for variety of terrain and surface, not just flatness.
So true! Something to definitely consider. Thankyou :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Notion900 How was Via de la Plata? It is 1000km starting from Seville?

Yes, I have done half so far. It is hard! Few short stages, not much shade, hot weather, no villages or water during stages. But I love it. But in your position I would choose something that offers a bit more flexibility on stage length.

Yes, I have done half so far. It is hard! Few short stages, not much shade, hot weather, no villages or water during stages. But I love it. But in your position I would choose something that offers a bit more flexibility on stage length.
Sounds challenging and you are right, i am not ready for that just yet. But i do hope you continue to enjoy and love your Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thankyou NickMJ - what did you think of the Portugues? I worry it may be a little flat and boring/unchallenging? Which would you be more likely to do again?
I wouldn't call the Portugues boring. It is a very pretty way with charming towns like Tui en route and there is some great scenery. For example, the first day out of Oporto, walking along the coast to Vila do Conde is a delightful start to the trip. Sure, the Portugues doesn't have the dramatic vistas of the Primitivo but to get dramatic views you do need to climb up the odd mountain.

I'm actually thinking of going back to Portugal but doing the coastal route as a variation. There are too many un-walked caminos for me to think about repeating any trip yet!

Hi all,

I am a fit and active 36 year old but my knees, back, hammies, calves and ankles behave more like cranky 80 year olds.

I had intended to walk the Camino Primitivo in end-June to mid-July (giving myself 16 days) but i badly sprained my ankle 2 days ago. I completed the Camino Frances last year, albeit with some knee pain and many rest days.

Would any forum members be able to advise on the difficulty of the terrain of the Camino Portugues vs the Camino Primitivo?

Hi Katie,
Sorry about your problems. My sympathy.
I'm 63 and did both Primitivo and Portugues last year in May and November.
CP definitely easier physically but I don't think you sacrifice anything for that. Nothing terribly steep and no real slogs. Infrastructure excellent. Portugal significantly cheaper than Spain and more English spoken which are both nice!
More importantly I really enjoyed the walk. Some spectacular scenery. Nice churches.
Oporto a beautiful city. Give yourself a day to explore it.
I walked along littoral route for first two days and loved that. I moved in to coastal route after.
It's horses for courses. The Primitivo was fantastic. Some people are sceptical about CP. I'm not!
Read what others say. Some complain about cobbles. I don't! ;) Tim
I'm happy to answer further specific questions. I'm on Camino Madrid at the moment and won't always have wifi.

Hi all,

Dear katie,
I and my wife just finalized on 15 may the Camino Primitivo.
A beautiful trip for us in 9 days but: In this 9 days we walked around 225 km and around 5,5 km up and down! At the end we were "tired". Most people said the most heaviest Camino. In 2015 October we walked the Camino Portugues from Porto to Santiago. Based on your information I suggest to do the Portugues. Very beautiful but less intens.
Succes with your decision.
Nutstree

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Dear katie,
I and my wife just finalized on 15 may the Camino Primitivo.
A beautiful trip for us in 9 days but: In this 9 days we walked around 225 km and around 5,5 km up and down! At the end we were "tired". Most people said the most heaviest Camino. In 2015 October we walked the Camino Portugues from Porto to Santiago. Based on your information I suggest to do the Portugues. Very beautiful but less intens.
Succes with your decision.
Nutstree
Nustree, thankyou very much, i really appreciate you taking the time to offer some guidance. Your post has sealed my decision to do the Camino Portugues. I hope you are able rest, recover and rejuvenate from what sounds like a gruelling camino.

Hi Katie,
Sorry about your problems. My sympathy.
I'm 63 and did both Primitivo and Portugues last year in May and November.
CP definitely easier physically but I don't think you sacrifice anything for that. Nothing terribly steep and no real slogs. Infrastructure excellent. Portugal significantly cheaper than Spain and more English spoken which are both nice!
More importantly I really enjoyed the walk. Some spectacular scenery. Nice churches.
Oporto a beautiful city. Give yourself a day to explore it.
I walked along littoral route for first two days and loved that. I moved in to coastal route after.
It's horses for courses. The Primitivo was fantastic. Some people are sceptical about CP. I'm not!
Read what others say. Some complain about cobbles. I don't! ;) Tim
I'm happy to answer further specific questions. I'm on Camino Madrid at the moment and won't always have wifi.
Thankyou for your reply timr, especially while you were walking Camino Madrid! How was your pilgrimmage? I am looking forward to the Camino Portugues, start in about 3 weeks.
I have one more question - what sort of shoes do you thinknwould be adequate for the Camino Portugues? I had planned on buying another pair of the sort i wore on the CF, didnt get blisters wearing them. But they have quite a thick tread and was wondering if they would ve suitable for the CP, which seems to have a flatter, harder terrain?

@katie@camino I take a not very technical approach to shoes. If they are comfortable, I stick with them. I wear the same shoes wherever I go - walking. Just as I wear the same shoes wherever I go running. So I wore same for CF as for CP - "approach shoes" or "trail walking shoes" - as opposed to boots. They look a bit like runners on top (but they are waterproof), but they have thick vibram soles. I used to wear North Face Hedgehogs, but changed to Keen's. If you have shoes that don't give you blisters, I would uld be inclined to stay with them! "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
Buen camino. Tim

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@katie@camino I take a not very technical approach to shoes. If they are comfortable, I stick with them. I wear the same shoes wherever I go - walking. Just as I wear the same shoes wherever I go running. So I wore same for CF as for CP - "approach shoes" or "trail walking shoes" - as opposed to boots. They look a bit like runners on top (but they are waterproof), but they have thick vibram soles. I used to wear North Face Hedgehogs, but changed to Keen's. If you have shoes that don't give you blistes, I would be inclined to stay with them! "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
Buen camino. Tim
Thankyou timr, this is what i was thinking!

I just got home last night. I finished the Primitivo a week ago. Definitely need to have your feet and legs in good condition. Most of it is a real hike, not a "walk". The ascents are steep and long and a couple of the descents are equally tough. I would not recommend it if you have a new ankle injury. We did it in 14 days and I wish I had planned for 16 in order to cut down on some of that mileage. Good luck! Buen Camino.

I just got home last night. I finished the Primitivo a week ago. Definitely need to have your feet and legs in good condition. Most of it is a real hike, not a "walk". The ascents are steep and long and a couple of the descents are equally tough. I would not recommend it if you have a new ankle injury. We did it in 14 days and I wish I had planned for 16 in order to cut down on some of that mileage. Good luck! Buen Camino.
Thank you so much and congratulations! It sounds really hard, you deserve some good r'n'r, including tapas of course, now!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thankyou for your reply timr, especially while you were walking Camino Madrid! How was your pilgrimmage? I am looking forward to the Camino Portugues, start in about 3 weeks.
I have one more question - what sort of shoes do you thinknwould be adequate for the Camino Portugues? I had planned on buying another pair of the sort i wore on the CF, didnt get blisters wearing them. But they have quite a thick tread and was wondering if they would ve suitable for the CP, which seems to have a flatter, harder terrain?

Hi Katie, have last minute two weeks in September and debated between Primitivo and Portugues Coastal or rather seaside.... The latter won for now due to my love of the ocean.... So, how busy was it in November and did you book accommodation ahead of time? Also, did you stay in Albergues and did you take a sleeping bag or sac? Need hiking shoes? Lots of questions I know ;)

Hi Katie, have last minute two weeks in September and debated between Primitivo and Portugues Coastal or rather seaside.... The latter won for now due to my love of the ocean.... So, how busy was it in November and did you book accommodation ahead of time? Also, did you stay in Albergues and did you take a sleeping bag or sac? Need hiking shoes? Lots of questions I know ;)
Hi Cecilia. I walked the Camino Port in June/July in 2017 and 2018 so am unsure of the weather in November - i imagine quite windy and rainy but @Albertinho is better placed to comment on weather.

Yes, i always stay in albergues - i love the camino comraderie and the excitement of meeting new pilgrims. In July i took a sleep liner but if i was walking in November i would probably take a sleeping bag. And my hiking shoes were Altra Timps - absolutely fabulous, loved them (zero drop and wide toe box). For November i don't know if you would need waterproof shoes. @davebugg has some excellent and informative posts on how to care for feet in wet weather.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful on the November aspect of the Camino Port. I think @Albertinho is your person on this one

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back