• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portugues or return to Frances ; woman alone

Gillyweb

Time of past OR future Camino
Villafranca - Santiago (2013)
SJPP - Santiago (2014)
Portugues (2017)
Hi all. I'm heading back to the Camino toward the end of August and am totally undecided. I am looking for some time to 'be' and not have to think too much so my initial idea was to walk from Logrono to León. However I know I will struggle to stop at that point and will feel I should be carrying on to Santiago. I could stop there and then take the bus to Santiago and walk to Finisterre which I haven't done yet, so that would be a closure period for this walk I suppose. I also really want to walk the Portugues and with two weeks free could do Porto to Santiago (flight booked) but am worrying about accommodation, expense and stress. I do suffer from anxiety and always feel totally at home, safe and relaxed on the Francés. So my questions are
1. How safe will I feel alone on the Portugues ?
2. How hard is it to find affordable accomodation in August, Coastal or Interior ?
3. Is it possible to walk mindfully or is it concentration territory ?
At the end of the day it's my own decision I know, but many more experienced pilgrims than I may have thoughts I haven't had, or simple advice to give. Any feedback positive or negative most welcome.
Thanks Guys

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi all. I'm heading back to the Camino toward the end of August and am totally undecided. I am looking for some time to 'be' and not have to think too much so my initial idea was to walk from Logrono to León. However I know I will struggle to stop at that point and will feel I should be carrying on to Santiago. I could stop there and then take the bus to Santiago and walk to Finisterre which I haven't done yet, so that would be a closure period for this walk I suppose. I also really want to walk the Portugues and with two weeks free could do Porto to Santiago (flight booked) but am worrying about accommodation, expense and stress. I do suffer from anxiety and always feel totally at home, safe and relaxed on the Francés. So my questions are
2. How hard is it to find affordable accomodation in August, Coastal or Interior ?
At the end of the day it's my own decision I know, but many more experienced pilgrims than I may have thoughts I haven't had, or simple advice to give. Any feedback positive or negative most welcome.
Thanks Guys

I walked alone last summer Lisbon to SdeC. Porto to Santiago is lovely. Lots of accommodation and safe, some rolling terrain but easily negotiated. Lisbon to Porto is very gruelling with long days between albergues but this changes at Porto with plenty of amenities. Porto is spectacular. Particularly enjoyed the border towns between Portugal and Spain, Valencia/Tui. Relax and enjoy. Bom Caminho!

Gillyweb, my wife and I walked from Porto in April this year and loved it. We walked via the central (what some call the interior route). The only thing I would suggest is that in hindsight we wish we had walked day 1 on the coastal route due to a lot of the first day walking along the narrow shoulders of the busy N-306 highway. Also a lot of walking on cobble stones and the granite setts which are hard on the feet. Once you reach Vila do Conde you can branch back to the central route and rejoin the central route at Arcos. We enjoyed all of our days in Portugal, except as mentioned our first day out of Porto.
As far as safety, I think their is no difference between Portugal and Spain. As you know, you can always walk with others or at least keep other walkers in sight to improve your feeling of security. The Portuguese people are lovely and helpful and seem genuinely happy to see you.
Overall we found the trails very well marked and literally did not put a foot wrong our entire time in Portugal. We will certainly be back at some point for another Camino in Portugal.
Staying with the familiar (Camino Frances) has it's attractions, but as they say, variety is the spice of life!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks Guys
I concur with JRR. I just returned from the Camino Portuguese on June 19th. Started in Porto, took the coastal to Vila do Conde then cut across to Arcos. I had no problems. It's a lovely route. It will probably be quite warm when you're there. It was in mid june.

I walked alone last summer Lisbon to SdeC. Porto to Santiago is lovely. Lots of accommodation and safe, some rolling terrain but easily negotiated. Lisbon to Porto is very gruelling with long days between albergues but this changes at Porto with plenty of amenities. Porto is spectacular. Particularly enjoyed the border towns between Portugal and Spain, Valencia/Tui. Relax and enjoy. Bom Caminho!
Thanks - It's good to know accommodation isn't too much of a problem even in Summer. Perhaps I'll stick with Portugues after all.

Gillyweb, my wife and I walked from Porto in April this year and loved it. We walked via the central (what some call the interior route). The only thing I would suggest is that in hindsight we wish we had walked day 1 on the coastal route due to a lot of the first day walking along the narrow shoulders of the busy N-306 highway. Also a lot of walking on cobble stones and the granite setts which are hard on the feet. Once you reach Vila do Conde you can branch back to the central route and rejoin the central route at Arcos. We enjoyed all of our days in Portugal, except as mentioned our first day out of Porto.
As far as safety, I think their is no difference between Portugal and Spain. As you know, you can always walk with others or at least keep other walkers in sight to improve your feeling of security. The Portuguese people are lovely and helpful and seem genuinely happy to see you.
Overall we found the trails very well marked and literally did not put a foot wrong our entire time in Portugal. We will certainly be back at some point for another Camino in Portugal.
Staying with the familiar (Camino Frances) has it's attractions, but as they say, variety is the spice of life!
Thanks for this. I had already pretty much decided to do the first section along the coast so it's good to know that I'd be making the right choice.....and that it's well waymarked. Were there many other pilgrims around ? I'm not looking for the same social aspect as we find on the Francés but it would be nice to know there are other pilgrims around. I'm rarely anxious in the Camino but company when you need it is always good. And you are very right - variety is good. Really appreciate your reply. Thank you !!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I concur with JRR. I just returned from the Camino Portuguese on June 19th. Started in Porto, took the coastal to Vila do Conde then cut across to Arcos. I had no problems. It's a lovely route. It will probably be quite warm when you're there. It was in mid june.
Thanks - I'm beginning to feel this may be the right decision. Was the cut across easy to find and follow ? I expect it might be warm but I've coped with the Meseta in July and August so I should be ok even if it's hot. Thanks so much for your reply.

you won't be disappointed. I'm trying to remember bit the last alburge we stayed in before santiago was a bit of a dump
somebody might know which one it was. Everywhere else was lovely. You can also get the metro out of Porto to lessen but not eliminate the road walking on the first day. yes the granite cobbles are a killer! Another tip would be that the metro had a branch line near the end
if there doesn't appear to be a metro to the final destination get one to the fork and pick another one up. Cut an hour from my journey out.

I did Porto to SdC with my husband in April as well. We passed by a fair amount of people doing their Camino by themselves. Majority were duos, and only once we met a group (a family) of four.
After doing a nice walk in the city and around the cathedral, we took the metro out of Porto as we were constrained in time and did not want to spend the first day walking through the industrial area. We chose the Central route, but pilgrims we talked to said Coastal was amazing! I was born in an island and do not like wind, so Central was just right for us.
There is plenty of accomodation, albergues or other types. And the food. Omg, the food. It's amazing. Every day a new feast in Portugal. If you go to thatroute, please eat a Pastel de Nata for me! :D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked the Portugues in spring 2016 with my wife - the normal route from Lisbon-Porto and the coastal route from Porto, so here's my impression...
Others have answered this better than I can...

No problem with accomodation on the coastal - have a look here https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...df-route-portugues-route-monacal-coastal.404/

Depending on what interrupt your mindful walking....if it's other pilgrims, then there's not a lot om them on the route so that would give room for contemplation. If you mean that you have to spend energy on finding the path/markers then ...... well.....the coastal isn't hard to find your way on (just keep the ocean to the left side..), but it isn't waymarked as well ad Camino Frances and you might go on the wrong paths sometimes. We had the route as a gps-track on a phone as safetynet and that worked quite well.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back