• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portuguese Camino Coastal Route This May!

CaminoGong

Time of past OR future Camino
5/1/2023-5/15/2023
Hi Everyone
My name is Mark, I am from California
I am planning to walk The Portuguese Camino Coastal Route
From April 27-May 15. My travel partner just bailed out on me, so I am thinking about joining a tour. Anyone has a good tour company to recommend? Thanks!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Everyone
From April 27-May 15. My travel partner just bailed out on me, so I am thinking about joining a tour. Anyone has a good tour company to recommend? Thanks!
Rather than joining a tour, I urge you to consider walking the camino solo. There will be plenty of people to meet up with along the way. This would be more flexible, depending on your interests and pace.

Thanks for your encouragement. I am physically very fit, has been a trail runner all my life. I just never done overseas solo travel .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Mark,
There are some tours that are self guided, but where arrangements are made for you each night. I am sure others can chime in here.

It is also quite easy and cheaper just to go on your own.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for your encouragement. I am physically very fit, has been a trail runner all my life. I just never done overseas solo travel .
The Camino is perfect for your 1st solo traveling experience. You will meet plenty of people but will be able to go at your own pace without having to worry about a partner. I did the Frances last Fall solo and met tons of great people. I've read that the Portuguese Central route has more pilgrims than the coastal. I want to meet people. So, I'm doing the central route in a couple of weeks. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The Camino is perfect for your 1st solo traveling experience. You will meet plenty of people but will be able to go at your own pace without having to worry about a partner. I did the Frances last Fall solo and met tons of great people. I've read that the Portuguese Central route has more pilgrims than the coastal. I want to meet people. So, I'm doing the central route in a couple of weeks. Buen Camino!
I am going in 3 weeks, hope to see you there. Buen Camino!

Rather than joining a tour, I urge you to consider walking the camino solo. There will be plenty of people to meet up with along the way. This would be more flexible, depending on your interests and pace.

Hi Mark!
The Coastal from Porto is pretty straightforward !
Leaving Porto keep the river and the sea on your left side and walk and the rest will be a story to tell!

Porto is a wonderful place to stay a couple of days;great atmosphere there.

I had the WisePilgrim app on my phone (which is so easy to follow) and yill get you to Santiago!

You will meet people on the path no probs! ( all going the same way)

I hadn't walked 800mtrs before a french female pilgrim came along and we started chatting for a while;she had been walking for 40 days already!
You don't need to have a buddy (unless you want one)to walk with but if you want one you will find company!
Don't worry about never traveling abroad it will be a lot easier than you imagine.
The Portuguese and Spanish people are amazingly helpful and generous (the Portuguese went above and beyond my expectations by a mile)
Here is my 5 cents worth.
When you walk alone all the choices are your's and you don't have to worry about anyone else's Camino!
If you get in a fix: working it out is part of the adventure don't panic!
Jump in and have a blast
You will love it!
Unless it rains 🤣
Woody

Hi Mark!
Leaving Porto keep the river and the sea on your left side and walk and the rest will be a story to tell!

I had the WisePilgrim app on my phone (which is so easy to follow) and yill get you to Santiago!

I hadn't walked 800mtrs before a french female pilgrim came along and we started chatting for a while;she had been walking for 40 days already!
You don't need to have a buddy (unless you want one)to walk with but if you want one you will find company!
Don't worry about never traveling abroad it will be a lot easier than you imagine.
The Portuguese and Spanish people are amazingly helpful and generous (the Portuguese went above and beyond my expectations by a mile)
When you walk alone all the choices are your's and you don't have to worry about anyone else's Camino!
Jump in and have a blast
You will love it!
Unless it rains 🤣
Woody
This is so helpful! I now feel it’s a blessing that I will be traveling solo! Can’t wait! Maybe see you on the trail one day

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Neither had I until last year. I won’t say it’s a piece of cake but it is doable and as per above you will meet others all along the way doing the same walk. And if all you’re doing is the camino and nothing else it’s fine. Yes, you’ll be nervous, we all are. That’ll go after the first few days.

Neither had I until last year. I won’t say it’s a piece of cake but it is doable and as per above you will meet others all along the way doing the same walk. And if all you’re doing is the camino and nothing else it’s fine. Yes, you’ll be nervous, we all are. That’ll go after the first few days.
Thank you for your encouragement!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Everyone
I volunteered at an albergue one day out of Porto and I met a 75 year old American lady traveling by herself, because two weeks prior to starting, her friend canceled.
She turned up late and stressed because she had got lost but wanted to be in a monastery on the first night. So I put her up the stone tower where the light floods in and you look over the local country side. Her window was above the where the locals came out of the church and formed below her. They were singing and had candles and were off to walk the flower strewn streets for village fiesta. Her stress levels went way down and I learnt that you get back more than you give when volunteering.

Hey, Mark, Karen from Colorado here. I'll be starting in Porto on May 1 arriving in Santiago on May 13. Maybe we'll run into each other along the way! I've been working with Santiago Ways for helping with our arrangements and they've been pretty responsive. Good luck!

This is so helpful! I now feel it’s a blessing that I will be traveling solo!
I agree - walking the Camino solo is great! And you will meet many other solo pilgrims on your way, particularly if you are staying in albergues.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Mark!

Jump in and have a blast
You will love it!
Unless it rains 🤣
Woody
Thank you so much for the encouragement and information, sorry for the late response
Yes, I will be go solo and I will have fun!

I volunteered at an albergue one day out of Porto and I met a 75 year old American lady traveling by herself, because two weeks prior to starting, her friend canceled.
She turned up late and stressed because she had got lost but wanted to be in a monastery on the first night. So I put her up the stone tower where the light floods in and you look over the local country side. Her window was above the where the locals came out of the church and formed below her. They were singing and had candles and were off to walk the flower strewn streets for village fiesta. Her stress levels went way down and I learnt that you get back more than you give when volunteering.
That was a such moving story! Thanks for sharing

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done Vézelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.