• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portuguese Camino pics

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, Heather,
Loved those pictures! BTW, what's the name of the place that looks like a B&B around Picture 110, soon after your Tomar pictures? Looked very nice, and I don't think I saw it or have it down in my guide. Thanks so much, Laurie

Hi Laurie
I think you mean the beautiful private home on the Camino just outside Condeixa-A-Nova. It was our one rainy day and I went into a cafe in Rabacal to ask about the opening time of the Casa de Turismo. A couple sitting nearby heard me speak English(Scottish) and after a brief conversation insisted that my amigo and I come home with them for the night. Persuaded me by saying they missed being able to have conversations in English. Our Angels of the Camino,Joao and Marjolijn, treated us to a 5 star night in their lovely converted mill house.Even insisted on getting up at 630 to make us a sit down breakfast . We picked up the arrows a short distance from their door and felt really blessed.
I am sure Marjolijn will one day walk to Santiago now that she knows what the yellow arrows mean at the end of their road.
Heather

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That's a great story, Heather. I guess the fact that someone can live a few feet from the arrows and not know what they represent says a lot about how much visibility the Camino has in Portugal south of Porto. I found that to be the case as well. I remember going into a pharmacy in Azinhaga, right next to two big yellow arrows on street lamp posts, and had the same reaction from the pharmacist.

I thought Rabacal was a nice little town, their cheese is quite famous in Portugal. And the mosaics out at the Roman villa are stunning. Ah, fond memories of the Caminho Portugues! Laurie

Lovely photos, I just returned from the CP in September (Porto - Santiago- Porto) Loved every step. Your beautiful 5star was quite a catch. The people are lovely in Portugal and Spain, my experience.
I did the CF last year. It was such a perfect trip that I don't think I want to do it again, the memories are so special of the First Camino. I also loved the CP and WOULD do it again. It is easy and brief (2 weeks) if you leave from Porto which is now my new favorite city.

Blessing for the New year

Bev from Canada

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I so enjoyed looking at your photos; it brought the Camino Portuguese back so well. Thanks for the link. I am currently writing about one of my characters walking the CP and so it was perfect to see the places that I too had photographed but from a different perspective. It's a lovely route.
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot.com

I just watched this 42 minute Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIO2fjbEhH8 presentation on the the Camino Portuguese. Since I am walking this Way next year, I was excited by the viewing. It is very professionally done with wonderful original music and a comic Looney Tunes segment. Kudos to Robin from Italy.

This is a great video for those who are contemplating walking from Lisbon. The first five minutes are all in Lisbon, showing you why a few days there before you start would be a great idea. The next 15 minutes are all Lisbon to Porto, the less traveled part of the Camino Portugues.

You'll see lots of eucalyptus forests, but what's different about my adventure is that I see lots of markings in those forests! Seems like getting lost is at least more difficult. The other thing I was surprised to see was how local people all knew exactly where the Caminho went and could point the way. In 2009, I spoke with many people who had no idea there was a Caminho to Santiago from Lisbon, even when the yellow arrows were right outside their door.

Bom caminho, Laurie

And p.s. Heather, I enjoyed looking at your pictures again!

Delicious pics, Heather. I'll never forget Pontevedra and Rias Baixas. One day I'll get there for a holiday, just flop around in water and eat fish. Then I'll come back to Oz and do the same again. Rob

Hi Heather,
thanks for posting. That's a very nice set of pics. Interesting for me having just returned to see some pics very similar to my own and others quite different. I only encountered 8 pilgrims until the last few days so a bit of a shock to see all those bags gathering at Ponte de Lima. I liked seeing the tomato fields on the flood plain before the harvest and it's a revelation to see Tomar in sunlight, without rain! You've got some great tiles in there too, which seems to be a Portuguese speciality. Love that yellow arrow in a burnt-out field, with a some stones balanced on top - that's wild. Hope to post mine quite soon, cheers, tom

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks all. :) I would like to return one day in cooler weather though. It was too hot for me by 11am in the early days at the beginning of September. I will never forget day 3 to Santarem almost collapsing from heat exhaustion,I lay down on a shady bench and my Canadian buddy went off to get a taxi or something. I could have died of embarrassment went he came back in a Bombeiros Ambulance . There was a little aerodrome around the corner and after telling them of my predicament they insisted on coming to get me. After taking my BP and blood sugar we were taken to the aerodrome ,sat in front of an aircon and plied with ice water and snacks. they then phoned for a taxi to take us the last few kms. Such caring ,wonderful Camino Angels. At least after that my buddy slowed down a bit and agreed to more frequent shady rests. We didn't know the route so needed to stick together. Things were great after that. We met only 4 French Canadian pilgrims who were good company in the evenings for a few stages. After Porto it was so good to find albergues and a friendly pilgrim family.
Bon caminho to all
Heather

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back