• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portuguese Camino Spiritual Variente - trouble finding accomodation

JaneMB

Time of past OR future Camino
7 May
Hi all hoping to get some advice please. We have decided very last minute ( 2 weeks notice leaving from Australia) to walk the Portugues camino spiritual variant starting in Vigo. Because of the short time frame and worry about fitness levels we are breaking it up into manageable sizes around 10 - 15km per day. Was hoping to walk Pontevedra - Combarro - Armenteira - Ribadumia - Vilanova staying over in each of these places. However I've been unable to secure accomodation in either Armenteira or Ribadumia. We are using a luggage transfer company so limited to their pickup accomodations. I have thought of basing us in Cambados where I can get accomodation and taxi to and from where we want to walk but not sure how available taxis are? Definitely keen to walk out of Armenteira as that sounds the most beautiful. Any suggestions greatly appreciated at this late stage. Many thanks

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Screenshot_20230424-184036-250.pngProvided pickup to and from the monastery in Armenteira.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I did this recently staying in Combarro, Os Castanos and Vilanova de Arousa. While I had always intended to walk this route, the staging was adjusted on the day coming into Combarro, where I was delayed sufficiently not to want to attempt the climb from Combarro across to Armenteira. The accommodation in Combarro was on Booking.com. After that it was a matter of making phone calls during the day to find a place to stay that night. I know that doesn't help if you are using a pack transport service, but it does indicate that places aren't completely booked out yet, but might require some effort. For example, the cafe/hostel at Os Castanos didn't appear anywhere other than a short entry in my Brierley guide and then on Google Maps when I went looking in more detail. I wish you luck with your search.

Depending on your budget, there are a number of “Casa rural” accommodations in the area. Some are full house rental, others might be rooms/rooms with bath. The hospedería at the Armenteira albergue sent me a list of these a few days ago when I couldn’t get a bed there. I’ve attached a couple of images so you can google the names and find these (don’t know exactly where they are located or IMG_7030.pngif they are on booking.com). I ended up staying at the Nuestra Señora albergue in Combarro, which was a great spot in an absolutely beautiful town. I got up early for the hike up to the monastery and had that pretty walk, the church, and the “ruta da piedra e da agua” all to myself on a Saturday before rain began. It was worth the effort:) ! Check the monastery hours for tours.

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done VĂ©zelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.