• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portuguese Camino started from Lagos

steve cole

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting the french way today
Hi All ,4th Portuguese Camino, but this time started in Algarve. Walking Ruta Vincentina /fishermens trail first up to Lisbon,the left to Sintra and on to coast and carry on North.

Portugal is much more relaxed than Spain at the moment especially in Algarve. I know the coast route isn't actually a camino; but there is affordable accommodation open all along the way ( coast of Portugal is a surfers paradise).

Not in any hurry as waiting for Galicia to me more "open" . The further north you go in Portugal the cheaper it gets so it a good plan for me.

If you are interested in this camino, then I am on Instagram steve1963cole. Plan to be in Santiago early November 🙏🙏

Attachments

• IMG_20200918_154416_663.jpg
    IMG_20200918_154416_663.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20200918_154247_065.jpg
    IMG_20200918_154247_065.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 20200918_115659.mp4
    1.1 MB
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Now I guess I have to sign up for Instagram. I have had interest in starting there for a while. Want to hear all about it. Especially about where to sleep and markings. I am a budget pilgrim and if I have to stay in 30 or 40€ pensions especially if they don’t include dinner for 10 or 12 days breaks my budget. Sure it is beautiful. I know there are some websites that offer some guides for the route. Wonder if you can collect sellos? It is fun to get them.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In 2018, I left on July 12 from Cape St Vincent near Sagres to reach Santiago on July 21. I tried to stay as close as possible to the sea. I first walked on the Rota Vicentina then I joined Lisbon and Porto. After Vigo, I used an undocumented variant where GPS is mandatory.

I made some short videos of this ride which you can find on my youtube channel: he.panpub
Here is the 1st video that goes from Cape St Vincent to Odeceixe :
Part 1 : Cabo Sao Vicente - Odeceixe

I have my GPX tracks and also my stages, my accomodations. If you are interested, contact me via a nex conversation

Now I guess I have to sign up for Instagram. I have had interest in starting there for a while. Want to hear all about it. Especially about where to sleep and markings. I am a budget pilgrim and if I have to stay in 30 or 40€ pensions especially if they don’t include dinner for 10 or 12 days breaks my budget. Sure it is beautiful. I know there are some websites that offer some guides for the route. Wonder if you can collect sellos? It is fun to get them.
There are hostels at each stage of the Fisherman's Trail. You need to book ahead. I paid about 20E a night for a bed in a dorm. All good.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There are hostels at each stage of the Fisherman's Trail. You need to book ahead. I paid about 20E a night for a bed in a dorm. All good.
Thanks so much I will do my research and check it out. If you have any other info to share about the Trail I would love to hear it. Take care and stay safe.

There are hostels on the Fisherman's trail...20 euro for a dorm bed. All good and central.

Most expensive hostel so far has been 20 euro, but price will go down from October (low season). No stamps, but some people write name of hostel on their credential and date. In lagos I had hostel for 10 euro ,so walked a few stages from their and used the bus to get back to hostel.
You can walk it in 10 days the Ruta Vincentina, but it's so beautiful I am taking my time. Once past Lisbon via coast up to Porto it should be cheaper also as the algarve is more expensive than rest of Portugal.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Oh Please post here occasionally on the Rota Vicentina section as that is my plan also for hopefully 2021.
The way is well marked and even now there are people walking it. . Its cheaper if you are traveling with a friend as a room off season is cheaper normally than 2 dorm beds..I will try and remember to post ,but will always respond to messages.

In 2018, I left on July 12 from Cape St Vincent near Sagres to reach Santiago on July 21. I tried to stay as close as possible to the sea. I first walked on the Rota Vicentina then I joined Lisbon and Porto. After Vigo, I used an undocumented variant where GPS is mandatory.

I made some short videos of this ride which you can find on my youtube channel: he.panpub

I have my GPX tracks and also my stages, my accomodations. If you are interested, contact me via a nex conversation
Nine days from Cape St Vincent to Santiago!?! I couldn't even walk it from Porto in nine days. I can't imagine the condition you must have been in when you arrived. Maybe you left on June 12 instead?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Not all places have stamps on the Rota Vicentina, but some have a business stamp. Here is my credential from the winter of 2016.
039.jpg

I am not superman, I plan to arrive in early November, I am taking it slowly as Spain is mostly red at the moment. Normally walk between 25km -35km a day on rare occasions might do 50km a day especially between Astorga and Santiago.

Thanks for offer re GPS, a lot of info is available, so it's not a problem. Currently in aljezur for a couple of days.. beautiful walk 🙏👍

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Most expensive hostel so far has been 20 euro, but price will go down from October (low season). No stamps, but some people write name of hostel on their credential and date. In lagos I had hostel for 10 euro ,so walked a few stages from their and used the bus to get back to hostel.
You can walk it in 10 days the Ruta Vincentina, but it's so beautiful I am taking my time. Once past Lisbon via coast up to Porto it should be cheaper also as the algarve is more expensive than rest of Portugal.
That sounds good. A few years ago I walked from Lisbon and did the interior route after Porto.
Next time I will do the coastal route. What you are all describing sounds fantastic.

Nine days from Cape St Vincent to Santiago!?! I couldn't even walk it from Porto in nine days. I can't imagine the condition you must have been in when you arrived. Maybe you left on June 12 instead?
Do you know what the total length to Santiago from Cape St. Vincent?

The way is well marked and even now there are people walking it. . Its cheaper if you are traveling with a friend as a room off season is cheaper normally than 2 dorm beds..I will try and remember to post ,but will always respond to messages.
I may be walking with a couple of my college buddies will definitely bunk together.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked the Rota Vicentina Fisherman's Trail in April 2019 before starting the Portuguese out of Porto. It is stunningly beautiful, but definately does not have a camino "feel"...and you should definately book ahead.

I walked the Rota Vicentina Fisherman's Trail in April 2019 before starting the Portuguese out of Porto. It is stunningly beautiful, but definately does not have a camino "feel"...and you should definately book ahead.
[/QUO
Your right about the camino feel, but I think in 2020 it will be hard to find it especially in Spain. But its swings and roundabouts, plenty of stunningly beautiful walks and no problem with accommodation ,plus great weather at the moment. When I get to Porto I am sure i will Santiago calling me.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I will probably average a little less than that a day. Early on I do about 20-22 then I move up to about 25 but at age 66 it goes up and down as my body goes up and down.:)
Nice to know your age.... at 62 I’m looking to future caminos given my 2019 VDLP was cancelled due to a family tragedy then my 2020 Autumn LePuy Cancelled due to covid. I recently flew back from Europe in June after my 1st “snowbird” winter in the Algarve (was stranded 3 additional months In Slovakia in the lockdown) and had to leave my beloved canine. Quaratine upon arrival for 14 days.....tough. Then I flew from Montreal to Vienna Sept 12th, Quaratined 5 days, covid tested negative so freed from Quaratine, got my pooch, drove 900 km to Frankfurt (could only fly my dog on 1 direct flight ) then flew us to Montreal....now day 9 of 14 day mandatory isolation......even tougher as winter is on its way. Travelling now is missing the JOY of the unknown adventure.

Nice to know your age.... at 62 I’m looking to future caminos given my 2019 VDLP was cancelled due to a family tragedy then my 2020 Autumn LePuy Cancelled due to covid. I recently flew back from Europe in June after my 1st “snowbird” winter in the Algarve (was stranded 3 additional months In Slovakia in the lockdown) and had to leave my beloved canine. Quaratine upon arrival for 14 days.....tough. Then I flew from Montreal to Vienna Sept 12th, Quaratined 5 days, covid tested negative so freed from Quaratine, got my pooch, drove 900 km to Frankfurt (could only fly my dog on 1 direct flight ) then flew us to Montreal....now day 9 of 14 day mandatory isolation......even tougher as winter is on its way. Travelling now is missing the JOY of the unknown adventure.
That is for sure. I was planning to do the VDLP this year.
In fact I would have probably been starting about now. Thought about a late Febrstart but that is probably not going to happen. Now looking at a year from now. If you can do the Le Puy Camino do it. It is beautiful to say the least and forget about the food. A fire dinner makes any pilgrim meal I ever had seem like fast food dining. Do t know which Caminos you have done but Le Puy can be tough for a while like the Norte. Did Le Puy at 60 and Norte when I was 64. Both are much tougher than the Frances or Portugues. I never listen to pilgrims who say they are not difficult when their photos show someone from about 20 to their 40’s. When I was 25 the Norte would not have been very tough either. But I was 64. 😃 Having said that the pain and breathlessness of the uphills and the zig zagging downhill to avoid hip and knee pain pales in comparison to the vistas, oceans, meadows and sounds of nature. Buen camino

That is for sure. I was planning to do the VDLP this year.
In fact I would have probably been starting about now. Thought about a late Febrstart but that is probably not going to happen. Now looking at a year from now. If you can do the Le Puy Camino do it. It is beautiful to say the least and forget about the food. A fire dinner makes any pilgrim meal I ever had seem like fast food dining. Do t know which Caminos you have done but Le Puy can be tough for a while like the Norte. Did Le Puy at 60 and Norte when I was 64. Both are much tougher than the Frances or Portugues. I never listen to pilgrims who say they are not difficult when their photos show someone from about 20 to their 40’s. When I was 25 the Norte would not have been very tough either. But I was 64. 😃 Having said that the pain and breathlessness of the uphills and the zig zagging downhill to avoid hip and knee pain pales in comparison to the vistas, oceans, meadows and sounds of nature. Buen camino

thanks, did the Norte alone end of February 2018 age 60 and found it ok. Weather was the biggest challenge. I can climb but just take the steep climbs slow and steady. I look forward to the Le Puy, VDLP and Portuguese as my first post pandemic. Meanwhile practice hiking in our National Park near Ottawa.

thanks, did the Norte alone end of February 2018 age 60 and found it ok. Weather was the biggest challenge. I can climb but just take the steep climbs slow and steady. I look forward to the Le Puy, VDLP and Portuguese as my first post pandemic. Meanwhile practice hiking in our National Park near Ottawa.
I hate hills!!!!y But love the view when I get to the top. I walked the Norte from the end of September to beginning of November. Great weather on the coast. Never remember it being too hot. Some rain and cold the last couple of weeks. Nothing I couldn’t handle although some nights in some albergues it was colder inside than outside. I too am ready to put on my pack and get to Sevilla. I really hope we get a really really effective vaccine soon.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I hate hills!!!!y But love the view when I get to the top. I walked the Norte from the end of September to beginning of November. Great weather on the coast. Never remember it being too hot. Some rain and cold the last couple of weeks. Nothing I couldn’t handle although some nights in some albergues it was colder inside than outside. I too am ready to put on my pack and get to Sevilla. I really hope we get a really really effective vaccine soon.
I’m a retired doc with a long career in drug development/drug approvals.....none of my colleagues nor I believe an efficacious, publically available vaccine will come “soon” or will be the answer.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back