• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portuguese Camino starting late November

RachelK

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese from Porto Dec 2022
Hi Everyone.
I am planning a long awaited Camino with my daughter starting from Porto at the end of November 2022. We know the weather won't be great but as this is the only time we can go together it's a compromise we've decided to make. This Camino has been booked and rebooked many times since 2020 but reading and rereading threads on this forum have kept my enthusiasm high. Thank you all :)

We have around 21 days to walk; at this stage we plan to leave from Porto on the Senda Littoral to Vila do Conde then head over to the Central route. I'm assuming the Central Route will be better in terms of open infrastructure and more pleasant if it's cold and rainy plus this is the route I'd choose anyway for tradition and culture. We can use our abundance of time to bunker down if the weather is awful or, things going well, continue to Finisterre and Muxia.

So, a couple of questions...

I would love to do the Spiritual Variant but looking at earlier threads I suspect the boat will be unavailable (I'd say we'll be there around December 10). Is anyone able to comment on this? If the boat is unavailable is it worth walking instead or better to stick to the traditional route?

Also, I have a shoe quandary. After reading much shoe advice re cobblestones etc I have bought a pair of Hoka Bondi 8's, which I love. My plan was to take a pair of Teva sandals for nightwear and resting. However, now I'm second guessing myself because of the rain and I'm thinking I may have cold, wet feet for the whole walk and if it's raining at night Teva's, albeit with some nice warm socks, will also ensure wet feet. I'm thinking either I need to rethink shoes and get a waterproof pair, maybe Hoka Speedgoats, or take a second pair of old runners so I can at least have a dry pair at night. Can anyone share their wisdom on this?

Any other advice or feedback gratefully received. Thank you!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’ve booked to Lisbon the end of November to walk to Coimbra. From what I’ve researched, I expect moderate temps, but wet. It’s a marine climate, so I hope the rain is sporadic, not continuous. In any case, I can’t wait to get on the Camino!

You might be interested in looking at historic weather patterns

Thanks for posting that weather link. I used it for a few other places too, e.g. Edinburgh and found it informative and well laid out.
Ena

Hi Everyone.
I am planning a long awaited Camino with my daughter starting from Porto at the end of November 2022. We know the weather won't be great but as this is the only time we can go together it's a compromise we've decided to make. This Camino has been booked and rebooked many times since 2020 but reading and rereading threads on this forum have kept my enthusiasm high. Thank you all :)

We have around 21 days to walk; at this stage we plan to leave from Porto on the Senda Littoral to Vila do Conde then head over to the Central route. I'm assuming the Central Route will be better in terms of open infrastructure and more pleasant if it's cold and rainy plus this is the route I'd choose anyway for tradition and culture. We can use our abundance of time to bunker down if the weather is awful or, things going well, continue to Finisterre and Muxia.

So, a couple of questions...

I would love to do the Spiritual Variant but looking at earlier threads I suspect the boat will be unavailable (I'd say we'll be there around December 10). Is anyone able to comment on this? If the boat is unavailable is it worth walking instead or better to stick to the traditional route?

Also, I have a shoe quandary. After reading much shoe advice re cobblestones etc I have bought a pair of Hoka Bondi 8's, which I love. My plan was to take a pair of Teva sandals for nightwear and resting. However, now I'm second guessing myself because of the rain and I'm thinking I may have cold, wet feet for the whole walk and if it's raining at night Teva's, albeit with some nice warm socks, will also ensure wet feet. I'm thinking either I need to rethink shoes and get a waterproof pair, maybe Hoka Speedgoats, or take a second pair of old runners so I can at least have a dry pair at night. Can anyone share their wisdom on this?

Any other advice or feedback gratefully received. Thank you!
Hi Rachelk

My partner and I set off from Porto late Nov 2019. We did the Central Route and loved it notwithstanding several very wet days where we got drenched. You should have seen the alberge with drying clothes everywhere. We've done 4 weeks in France and a week from SJPdP to Estella. All were magical in their own ways.

As for wet feet. For me I have found using my stiff cycling shoes work best as arthritis in my big toe means I have to avoid it bending. If you are a cyclist you'll know they have holes in the bottom to attach cleats. I taped over the holes and this kept most mud and water out except on those very wet days. No blisters at all.

We had warm to hot weather and it got quite cold at times too. Be prepared for whatever.

We arrived at SdC mid Dec and we took our time to get our compostellas arriving after 11am. I was the 10th to receive it that day so don't expect too many other pilgrims on your way. We did see a few but they were mostly going south.

We stayed in an alberge called The Last Stamp which closed for winter after we left. It was the last one to close. I would recommend it too.

I would do it again so don't let the talk of being wet put you off.

Buen camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Rachelk

My partner and I set off from Porto late Nov 2019. We did the Central Route and loved it notwithstanding several very wet days where we got drenched. You should have seen the alberge with drying clothes everywhere. We've done 4 weeks in France and a week from SJPdP to Estella. All were magical in their own ways.

As for wet feet. For me I have found using my stiff cycling shoes work best as arthritis in my big toe means I have to avoid it bending. If you are a cyclist you'll know they have holes in the bottom to attach cleats. I taped over the holes and this kept most mud and water out except on those very wet days. No blisters at all.

We had warm to hot weather and it got quite cold at times too. Be prepared for whatever.

We arrived at SdC mid Dec and we took our time to get our compostellas arriving after 11am. I was the 10th to receive it that day so don't expect too many other pilgrims on your way. We did see a few but they were mostly going south.

We stayed in an alberge called The Last Stamp which closed for winter after we left. It was the last one to close. I would recommend it too.

I would do it again so don't let the talk of being wet put you off.

Buen camino
Thanks so much for the info and encouragement Trevor. It's great to know that you had an enjoyable time despite the unpredictable weather. I checked out The Last Stamp - looks like it closes 15/12 so may make it there in time before heading to the coast.

You might be interested in looking at historic weather patterns

This is great, thank you trecile. I've compared the weather in Porto to where I live to get some perspective on both rainfall and temperatures. Looks pretty wet in December I must say bit at least not seriously cold.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I returned a few days ago from walking the CP from Lisbon. Between Porto and Santiago it rained everyday except one (12 out of 13 days, central route). It wasn't continuous, but it was frequent and pelting and unavoidable. Sometimes the trail was a veritable river. I had waterproof (Goretex) shoes, and although some water managed to get into them via my pant legs and socks, my feet were mostly dry. I recommend taking one waterproof pair and a large poncho as opposed to a pack cover. That way, if you encounter torrential rain and can't find shelter, you can stand with the poncho shielding your shoes until the worst of it blows over. Also consider a pair of lightweight gaiters, as they may solve the problem of rain seeping in via your socks. Good to be prepared, but I do hope you will have better weather than I had!

I returned a few days ago from walking the CP from Lisbon. Between Porto and Santiago it rained everyday except one (12 out of 13 days, central route). It wasn't continuous, but it was frequent and pelting and unavoidable. Sometimes the trail was a veritable river. I had waterproof (Goretex) shoes, and although some water managed to get into them via my pant legs and socks, my feet were mostly dry. I recommend taking one waterproof pair and a large poncho as opposed to a pack cover. That way, if you encounter torrential rain and can't find shelter, you can stand with the poncho shielding your shoes until the worst of it blows over. Also consider a pair of lightweight gaiters, as they may solve the problem of rain seeping in via your socks. Good to be prepared, but I do hope you will have better weather than I had!
Thank you so much for this info gml. Since I made the post I have bought Gortex trail runners for this very reasons so I'm pleased its the right decision.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Waterproof over-pants might be a good idea. They're pretty light. I once lived in Porto. It rains a lot.
Wish I'd know that! I would have sought your recommendations before my last visit. Although we did really enjoy it anyway. Love Porto.

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back