• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portuguese Camino:Vila do Conde to Rates

Katycamino

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances St Jean to Leon Sept 2013; Leon to Santiago May 2014; Santiago to Muxia and Finisterre Sept 2015; Camino Ingles May 2017
Can anyone advise on the best way to get from Vila do Conde to rejoin the Camino Central?
Brierley says not to take the road via Beiriz and proposes the road via Junqueira and Arcos. However the Johnny Walker guide says this route is not well marked so am a bit nervous about getting lost or ending up as road kill! Is it better just to bus or taxi to Vilarinho and join there? Prefer to walk of course!
Your advice welcome! Looking forward to the Portugues!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Can anyone advise on the best way to get from Vila do Conde to rejoin the Camino Central?
Brierley says not to take the road via Beiriz and proposes the road via Junqueira and Arcos. However the Johnny Walker guide says this route is not well marked so am a bit nervous about getting lost or ending up as road kill! Is it better just to bus or taxi to Vilarinho and join there? Prefer to walk of course!
Hi Katy
It wasn't very well marked in 2016 - I followed the aqueduct as Brierley suggests, but did end up getting lost and in an industrial area called something like Toughina! Busy traffic and not so pleasant. However a kind local pointed me in the right direction, and once I saw the cafe mentioned in the guide on a crossroads, I was fine. This was my only time getting lost and wasn't really such an issue so I'd do it again and take the risk. The aqueduct is pretty cool and impossible to miss. Bom Camino

Hi Katy
It wasn't very well marked in 2016 - I followed the aqueduct as Brierley suggests, but did end up getting lost and in an industrial area called something like Toughina! Busy traffic and not so pleasant. However a kind local pointed me in the right direction, and once I saw the cafe mentioned in the guide on a crossroads, I was fine. This was my only time getting lost and wasn't really such an issue so I'd do it again and take the risk. The aqueduct is pretty cool and impossible to miss. Bom Camino

Thanks Kazles.... great to know it’s do-able with a bit of care!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked from Vila do Conde to Barcelos. Didn't take the route along the aqueduct though. At the end of the day in Vila do Conde I couldn't make up my mind if I still wanted to follow the ocean or to go inland. Decided to sleep on it. In the evening I asked around in the albergue if anone else was thinking about going to the central way the day after and many people said yes. So in the morning when I decided to do it I just joined one German man who was walking there. We started very early, probably were the first to leave the argergue, walked together till Barcelos. He had a good german guide book but the locals did help at the begining pointing us in the right direction. I am sure there were many more people following our steps later in the day. You just need to ask around if you feel safer to walk in a company.

I got hopelessly lost. Locals tried to help and everytime I went wrong. I remember thinking where are the arrows? I just couldn't see any. After 3 hours I gave up at a café and they called a taxi. I felt soo defeated. In Barcelos I joined up with 2 Italien peregrinas, we had such fun. This was 2015. Still shaking my head that I never saw an arrow that day.

Thanks Ingrid.... sounds like I should find a friend and also practice how to say ‘thank you’ in Portuguese! At least it didn’t spoil your Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hey Kathy,
We walked this route just last spring. Although I had to ask directions a couple of times getting out of Vila do Conde, it proved to be pretty straight forward. Yes, it could have been better marked. We followed the route on up to Arcos where we caught the Caminho Central. My one recomendation is to watch carefully for cars. When walking against traffic, there were a few blind corners that demand your attention when cars are approaching. Although there is a fair amount of road walking, it proved to be another good day on the Caminho!

My wife and I walked the route through Junqueira to Arcos (the green route in the Brierley guidebook) in May of last year. I don't recall having difficulty finding markers, but there is a lot of road walking on this route, some of which has no shoulders. I'd recommend wearing a safety orange or green vest or at least something bright and visible. Just stay to left facing oncoming traffic, and walk single file. Many people have commented on the granite pavers being hard on the feet, but the upside is that even the smallest of cars sound like a locomotive approaching, so you'll have plenty of warning as a car approaches. If you enjoy walking with earbuds and music blaring in your ears, walking these roads is probably a good time to remove the ear obstructions.
Bom Caminho!

My sister and I walked into Vila do Conde from Laburge where we spent the night. We then proceeded to take the bus to Arcos where we stayed at Quinta do San Miguel. OMG.what a beautiful pension. We figured we deserved it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Not sure if this wîle help, but I actually ended up on the detour by accident. Saw some yellow arrows near the river that goes through the centre, and followed them thinking I was going on the coastal, but they were in fact for the detour to the central.

Not sure if this wîle help, but I actually ended up on the detour by accident. Saw some yellow arrows near the river that goes through the centre, and followed them thinking I was going on the coastal, but they were in fact for the detour to the central.
Hi, which town are you talking about.

I think Vila do Conde
Entering VdC over the bridge, there are waymarks directly to the right but after 3 (three !) meters-yards is another waymarker to the right . If you follow I hat waymarker,you will go underneath the bridge to the other side of the road and end up in front of some restaurants and hotel Belamar and the way to the center of VdC and the coastal route direction Póvoa de Varzim and Esposende.
But if you go right over the bridge and keep the river at your rigth untill you cross the metroline you are on your way to Arcos and São Pedro de Rates.
Somebody else will tell you to find the alternative way along the aquaduct. I don't know however I followed the aquaduct once that alternative way but know this from the oppostite way and ended up at the sanctuary on top of the hill, you will face when you enter VdC from the bridge. By then I was a tourist. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think Vila do Conde
Entering VdC over the bridge, there are waymarks directly to the right but after 3 (three !) meters-yards is another waymarker to the right . If you follow I hat waymarker,you will go underneath the bridge to the other side of the road and end up in front of some restaurants and hotel Belamar and the way to the center of VdC and the coastal route direction Póvoa de Varzim and Esposende.
But if you go right over the bridge and keep the river at your rigth untill you cross the metroline you are on your way to Arcos and São Pedro de Rates.
Somebody else will tell you to find the alternative way along the aquaduct. I don't know however I followed the aquaduct once that alternative way but know this from the oppostite way and ended up at the sanctuary on top of the hill, you will face when you enter VdC from the bridge. By then I was a tourist. :)
Thank you. Is the way to Arcos and São Pedro de Rates waymarked or just on the road?

Thank you. Is the way to Arcos and São Pedro de Rates waymarked or just on the road?
The way to Arcos and São Pedro de Rates is waymarked .
Because there is roadwalking-tarmac and cobblestones-I advice you to wear fluorescent safety jackets. Always walk in the direction of upcoming traffic and keep an eye on overtaking traffic from behind you. Portuguese are very kind people but once behind the steeringwheel the devil in them comes alive ! They drive fast and not aggresively but risky. Keep as left as you can and Do not walk next to each other but one after the other at mainroads with no sidewalk.Use your poles to pay attention to drivers that you are there too !
In São Pedro is an albergue with-I hope they still have-a nice bi-coloured stamp for your credential. Also if you just pass by, pop in and ask for the stamp.

Once past São Pedro, walking into the direction of Barcelos at a certain moment you will walk on the national road N306.that will be just before the hamlet of Pedra Furada.
There are big signs to warn drivers for pilgrims walking on the road. If you notice these signs, be warned. Although these signs are meant for drivers you better are warned for these drivers so be prepared.

In Pedra Furado at the left side of the road is the bar-restaurant-hostal Pedra Furado. Antonio rents some rooms with two beds, one with four and I thought one with three beds. Advice is to book in advance by phoning him .the number is in Brierley's guide. You can stop there for a coffee or a sandwich or a meal. And ask for a stamp on your credential.

An other notorious part of the N306 just before Barcelos including the narrow bridge into Barcelos with a very small pavement. Just before the medieval bridge to the left is the albergue from Barcelinos on the bank of the river with a nice view on the town .the other albergue is in Barcelos center.
Once on the Barcelos bridge you face a ruin of a castle. It is a kind of museum with things from the past but also contemporary art sculptures. The entrance is free and on top you have a nice view on the river .during daytime there is a guard, walking around .try to find him and ask him for a stamp on your credential. It is a beautiful one. One of the best on my various credentials. A stamp in Portuguese is called
um carimbo- in Spanish "un sello"

Don't be afraid about the traffic but be warned and take care.better warned on beforehand than not to be prepared. Bom caminho

The way to Arcos and São Pedro de Rates is waymarked .
Because there is roadwalking-tarmac and cobblestones-I advice you to wear fluorescent safety jackets. Always walk in the direction of upcoming traffic and keep an eye on overtaking traffic from behind you. Portuguese are very kind people but once behind the steeringwheel the devil in them comes alive ! They drive fast and not aggresively but risky. Keep as left as you can and Do not walk next to each other but one after the other at mainroads with no sidewalk.Use your poles to pay attention to drivers that you are there too !
In São Pedro is an albergue with-I hope they still have-a nice bi-coloured stamp for your credential. Also if you just pass by, pop in and ask for the stamp.

Once past São Pedro, walking into the direction of Barcelos at a certain moment you will walk on the national road N306.that will be just before the hamlet of Pedra Furada.
There are big signs to warn drivers for pilgrims walking on the road. If you notice these signs, be warned. Although these signs are meant for drivers you better are warned for these drivers so be prepared.

In Pedra Furado at the left side of the road is the bar-restaurant-hostal Pedra Furado. Antonio rents some rooms with two beds, one with four and I thought one with three beds. Advice is to book in advance by phoning him .the number is in Brierley's guide. You can stop there for a coffee or a sandwich or a meal. And ask for a stamp on your credential.

An other notorious part of the N306 just before Barcelos including the narrow bridge into Barcelos with a very small pavement. Just before the medieval bridge to the left is the albergue from Barcelinos on the bank of the river with a nice view on the town .the other albergue is in Barcelos center.
Once on the Barcelos bridge you face a ruin of a castle. It is a kind of museum with things from the past but also contemporary art sculptures. The entrance is free and on top you have a nice view on the river .during daytime there is a guard, walking around .try to find him and ask him for a stamp on your credential. It is a beautiful one. One of the best on my various credentials. A stamp in Portuguese is called
um carimbo- in Spanish "un sello"

Don't be afraid about the traffic but be warned and take care.better warned on beforehand than not to be prepared. Bom caminho
Obrigado Senor. Mucho Gracias. My portugese and Spanish is rather limited.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I just returned home from the Portuguese camino. My least favorite day, truth be told, was the walk from Vila de Conde to Rates via Arcos. Narrow, busy road and all the many cars zooming by made so much noise as their tires bounced over the cobbles and nothing much to see, imo. I was so happy the following day as it all improved so much...ahhh!

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back