• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

portuguese camino

karintyler

I am thinking of walking the Portuguese camino from Porto in September. The friend that was going to accompany me probably will not be able to come. Could I do it by myself? With no Portuguese? Though I will purchase a phrase book and try to learn a bit! I am an over 50, reasonably fit female. Any comments and advice would be very welcome. Thanks.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, Karin
My wife and I made the same walk last September. We speak a little French and a little Spanish, but no Portuguese. We had no trouble at all. Many Portuguese speak English and many also speak French. And gestures work well, too. We were standing near the N13 in front of Residencial Santa Marinha, looking for someplace to eat lunch when a truck driver pulling away from the curb waved, made gestures as if he was eating and pointed to a cafe just up the road! (Cafe Somar.. good basic food).
Bom Caminho
Chris (in Vermont)

Karin:

Not sure when you are planning to walk in September but that is when we are making the journey from Porto to Santiago--beginning September 12th (we arrive in Porto on the 10th but taking until Monday to actually begin walking). Already have our reservations for a hostel in Porto so we are EXCITED! We are in our late 50's into late 60's so no spring chickens here!

From my experience on the Frances as a woman walking alone, I can only assume that all will be well. A few words, hand motions and a smile will get you where you need to be. Perhaps we'll run into you. This time there is a group of us so I am looking forward to seeing how the walk changes.

Bom Caminho!
Portia (near Wash DC)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Karin
This is Karin - same name!

It's the first time I am walking the Camino too. From what I've heard its very safe and fine to go as a woman alone. I travel all over the world alone and had never had any problems, and my language skills are just smatterings of basics to get by.

I'm walking the Camino de Frances late August (prob starting around 22-24 August+) from Roncevalles.

I'm arriving via London, then flying to Verona, Italy and driving to Tuscany with a friend, then fly verona to london. Then London to Bilboa.

From Bilboa (gotta see the Gugenheim Museum) bus or train to Roncevalles. At the end of the Caminoi, I fly to Majorca for some time of rest and rec. Might see you along the journey, no doubt.
:D

Hi Karin

I've just walked from Santiago to Valenca and back. (I wanted to walk to Oporto, but the frustrations of going against the waymarking forced me to turn around.)

To begin with, it's a great hike in Galicia, and I'm told it's as good or better on the Portuguese side. Not too strenuous, and the climate is maritime. Rain might be the only downer, but it stayed dry for me this spring.

On the return trip, between Caldas and Padron, I walked with a German lady who had been going it alone. She'd had no problems apart from the inevitable snorer, and was simply enjoying her Caminho.

So I get the impression you'll be fine. If you are tempted to take a rest day, think Pontevedra!

Rob

Here's another late 50 lady walking (alone) the portguguese way early September. Landing in Porto the 29th. of August.
I thought I would take a bus or a train to Barcelos and start there, as several people has given me that advice. The camino from Porto is on roads with heavy traffic for the first two days.

I hope I will feel as safe as I did on the French way, but I think I will. I am a bit concerned about the weather though, will it be hot even in September, I am not very fond of walking in the heat. Well, just have to take everything as it comes.

Maybe I will see some of you there! :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This route in September should be fine, both weather wise and for no-lingistic female travelers. My daughter and I did it in November last year (which I would not recommend as it rained just about every day). But Scott and I usually travel in September and the weather is great then, not so hot and you get to Santiago before the major Autumn rains come.

The only Portuguese I know is "Optimo" and my lingo only improved slightly on the trip. Thanks to the British history in the region English is petty wide spread, even in the remote areas.

Starting in Lisboa can be tricky as the route isn't as well set up - but it is waymarked and easy walking (even if a lot of it is on or near the road). Albergues start form Oporto and are pretty good all the way up from there.

robertt said:
I wanted to walk to Oporto, but the frustrations of going against the waymarking forced me to turn around.)

Robert has my sympathies, we actually walked this route backwards too - having started in Ferrol, we kept of heading south from Santiago to Lisboa. It was frustrating following the arrows backwards but the blue arrows to Fatima are useful. You should have a much smoother trip heading north, have a great walk.

I'll start my Camino Portuges on 8th of September 2011 from Porto. Have to be back to Porto on 27th September. It's my first camino. Already got a lot of tips from that forum :wink:
Probably/maybe meet somebody of you on the way!
Cheers,
Alla (Estonia)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My friend and I will be walking the Portugese Camino in September. We fly from the USA on the 1st and we will be spending a couple of nights in Porto and then start walking on the 4th. This will be my fifth Camino and I cannot wait to do this one..we are very excited. We were known as "The Golden Girls" on the French Camino in 2009 (we are in our late sixties). Hope to meet some of you on the road. Buen Camino

Late arrival to the thread...I should be starting from Barcelos on or about October 16th. Trying to work in a week stay on both ends. Portugal the second week and Malaga the last week of October.

I'm currently in the Atlantic Ocean on a sailboat with a bunch of disabled veterans and having a fantastic time. Will get into port in Maine...then travel with my son down to Newport, RI for a disabled sailing regatta and on home to Virginia.

Ready for a break and being back on the Camino is the best tonic.

Buen Camino,

Arn

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hallo Amnausa, I'll start my camino from Porto on the 04.Sept, too :) . Are you starting from Porto or from a smaller village ? I was advised to start farther from the city .

I'm planning to walk the CP for the Second Time at the end of October (German Holidays are Late this Year) - anybody else there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Famone and Erika7,

Looks like you will bookend me as I should be on the CP by the 16th.

I will most likely start in Valenca or possibly Braga. I have found that metro walking isn't pleasant so skipping Oporto allows a more leisurely pace to SDC.

I will be near Faro the week prior so it's fairly easy to get the bus North.

Check out the Pilgrim's Calendar at the bottom right of the page to seee whom else may be on the Way at the same time. Add your start/finish dates for others.

Buen Camino

Arn

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We start walking from Porto on the 12th and plan to arrive in Santiago on the 23rd. Looking forward to meeting any forum members along the way! I have the forum patch on the back of my pack so please introduce yourself. Arn, it would be great to run into you as we too are from the DC area (Maryland) and a fellow AT'r.

How interesting to read all these posts about the Portuguese Camino! We're thinking of doing it late August 2012 or late September. We haven't found information about the distance or a good guide book yet. I'll be in Spain with a symphony chorus singing and traveling from Sept. 14 (Barcelona) to 23rd (Madrid). My buddy will join me whenever we can figure out what's best. We did part of the Chemin de Sant Jacques in SW France last September and then over to Pamplona. That was a wonderful walk.

Any ideas or advice on the Portuguese route?

Obrigada.
Patty

pwsmitherman said:
We haven't found information about the distance or a good guide book yet.
The Confraternity of St James have a couple of free downloadable guides (in Word or PDF format) to the Camino Portugues. One covers Lisbon to Porto and the other Porto to Santiago. They detail information on route, suggested stages, distances, accommodation, ameneties etc. and can be downloaded here. A donation to the Confraternity is suggested in return for the guide(s). There are also a couple of update sheets added in September 2011 for each guide, downloadable from the same web page.

I'm not sure how long you have set aside to walk but as a guide, to Santiago it is roughly :
- 5/6 days from the Portuguese border at Tui\Valenca
- 10/12 days from Porto
- 23/25 days from Lisbon

Buen Camino
Mig

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I also am thinking seriously about walking from Porto in September 2012. It seems it might be the most realistic route for me since I plan on approximately a 12 - 14-day walk alone, and friends have told me that there was no extreme walking along the way. I'll continue reading this forum and other sites for information, and will be glad to have comments of others' experience, especially from those similar to me: I'm a 67-year-old female in already reasonably fit condition (and continuing to get more fit every day at my local Y). :)

I hope to walk the Portuguese along the coastal route from Oporto, starting 13 May. I would love to hear from anyone who´s done this newly waymarked path, and would welcome other travelers ... there could be a new guide in the making!

Rebekah

Hi everyone

Just been reading posts and wondered if any of you encountered any problems along the way. I am a 61 year female hoping to do Oporto to Santiago some time this year. Is it safe for a lone (older) female. With family I did from SJJP last September which was a wonderful experience, but due to them getting married cannot accompany me this year.

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Xara712 said:
Hi everyone

Just been reading posts and wondered if any of you encountered any problems along the way. I am a 61 year female hoping to do Oporto to Santiago some time this year. Is it safe for a lone (older) female. With family I did from SJJP last September which was a wonderful experience, but due to them getting married cannot accompany me this year.

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks

Hello Xara,

I, too, am an older woman pilgrim (73).

Perhaps you would find this thread written by other older Forum members to be of interest.
60 and over [url=http://www.caminod...ml]frequently-asked-questions/topic12014.html[/url]

Last December after finishing my 7th Camino Frances I continued to Finisterre, per usual, and then walked to the Portuguese border at Tui. This involved going " backward " along the Camino Portuguese from Santiago. To go backward is more complicated than you might think; since this path is hardly well marked, searching for the famous yellow arrows pointing opposite my direction wasn't easy. Viewed backwards the arrows resembled anchors. Thus it all was a bit of a treasure hunt! However, everyone I met was most helpful including the police. At timers passers-by even stopped in their cars to offer assistance. The Galician albergues were comfortable and heated with friendly hospiteleros. However I was often alone due to the season.

I should imagine that walking the Portuguese Camino you will have another "wonderful experience".

Buen Camino!

Margaret

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am thinking of walking the Portuguese camino from Porto in September. The friend that was going to accompany me probably will not be able to come. Could I do it by myself? With no Portuguese? Though I will purchase a phrase book and try to learn a bit! I am an over 50, reasonably fit female. Any comments and advice would be very welcome. Thanks.
although this is 2014 we are looking at walking back to porto from santiago... at least part way... any advice on albergues, or parts that are really nice would be appreciated. we are currently walking the Camino Frances and are past Leon.
thanks
nigel and marilyn

Hello

I am planning to walk from Porto/Vila do Conde in May 2015

I just arrived yesterday in Lisbon to start on the 23rd sept. I'm on my own. Excited nervous a little scared. But hey they are the feelings of a great adventure ahead. Hope to see some pilgrims along the way.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I just arrived yesterday in Lisbon to start on the 23rd sept. I'm on my own. Excited nervous a little scared. But hey they are the feelings of a great adventure ahead. Hope to see some pilgrims along the way.

Hi Michryan
Yesterday saw three pilgrims on the way, one in Santarem to Fatima and two of the Santarém to Golegã.
It's an easy way, the big problem is the second stage (Alverca to Azambuja) and the Pombalinho Golegã (Santarém to Golegã). Lots of road.
Bom caminho
AMSimoes

Hi Karen
Do you mean this September or September 2015? I'm planning to do the same walk September 2015, not sure if I'll do Porto to Santiago or Baiona to Santiago, via the coast. I'm learning Portuguese but everyone says the people are wonderful & English is their second language. I'm a 62 year old female, fit but tiny & if I can aim for it, so can you.

My question to the wider forum is about accommodation. I don't want to stay in communal places, would prefer to pay more & have my own room. Does anyone know the rough cost of hotels along this northern end of Portugal/ Spain route?
I have had quotes from tour companies who transport your luggage & prebook hotels & that comes to about $180.00 Aussi dollars a night, which seems expensive. Is it?
Also does anyone have thoughts about doing this walk with the unguided tour people doing your bookings etc? I travel very lightly, so luggage is not an issue for me.
Obrigada. Fadfan

The average of a hostalroom in Spain or Portugal is about 30€ per night

If you start in Baiona do not know if you can apply for an Compostela certificate. it will be less than 100 kms to Santiago

When you go in september you easily can walk from one place to the other without booking on beforehand. If you have a list of addresses just call ahead in the morning that you are arriving during the day and that will be enough.

Bom caminho

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Michryan
Yesterday saw three pilgrims on the way, one in Santarem to Fatima and two of the Santarém to Golegã.
It's an easy way, the big problem is the second stage (Alverca to Azambuja) and the Pombalinho Golegã (Santarém to Golegã). Lots of road.
Bom caminho
AMSimoes
Thanks. Hope to see some others. Saw two in the cathedral yesterday getting their stamps but didn't look as though they were about to walk so hope today they start as well. As for the roadway yuk. But you take the good with the bad just scary.

I am planning on walking from Vila do Conde and overnight at the following places:
Pedra Furada
Lugar do Corgo (Casa da Feranda)
Ponte de Lima
Sao Roque /Rubiaes
Tui
Redondela
Pontevreda
Caldas de Reis
Faramello/O Faramello (Teo)

Any recommendations of place to sleep or avoid?

Still confused about Coastal vs Interior routes.

Thank you.

Ho Johan, what are you confused about?

And what kind of places do you want to stay in, for recommendations. Albergues or hotels/pemsions ect..

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Dutch,

I am confused about where is the coastal route and where is the interior route?

I just know the coastel route is along the coast for some distance, does it then join the interior route somewhere?

I am comfortable with Albergues.

There are 3 routes in Portugal.
Interior - which goes from Farminhao and goes into Spain after chaves and then goes via the camino sana res to Santiago

Then there is the central way, which goes from Porto (or first lisbon to porto) to vilarinho, rates, barcelos, ponte de lima ect....

And finally the coastal. From porto to vila do conde, viana do castelo, caminha vila nova de cerveira. You then go inland to valenca or stay on the coast and go via vigo to pontevedra and then Santiago.

Looking at your plan, you are walking the central route. For this i would advise to walk from porto via matosinhos to Vila do conde (so first day on the coastal) and then on the second day go in inland to Rates, Barcelos ect

I did not stay in casa da fernanda and not sure where exactly it is, but lots of people here rave about it, so i am sure you'll enjoy that :)

In Rubias i can higly recommend a private house, quinta das leiras (it is also in brierley). Ir is not an albergue, but a private house where the woman that owns it rents out several rooms with or without private bathroom (also to share) to pilgrims. It is all very clean and nice. She serves breakfast and has a fantastic pool in the garden which is really nice after the climb you've had that day.

In Tui i stayed in albergue el camino and in caldas de reis in albergue o cruceiro. Both were just fine to stay in. In all the other places i stayed in hotels/pensions, so cant help you out with more albergues.
In Teo is only one albergue and most people only stayed in Teo because they wanted to be in Santiago early enough the next morning to go to pilgrim mass. I looked at this albergue, but was not impressed by it at all.
Fuether more, When people arrived the door was open, but the hospitalero would only come at 4 or 5pm. People already claimed a bed, made their bed, showered ect so they thought all would be good once the hospitalero would arrive, but he said he everybody had to get in line to get a bed. He was going to hand out bednumbers and if you already claimed that bed, then you had to get your stuff and move to another bed. The bed you got assigned.
Some people that had already claimed their beds early that day, went for drinks and did not know about this system until they came back and found out that the hospitalero had given away the bed that they claimed to somebody else.
They had to go to the back of the line and get a number and yes.....some were so unlucky that they did not get a number because it was already full.
It was a very confusing situation :) I got to watch it from a distance as i and another pilgrim got private rooms about 1km further on.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There are 3 routes in Portugal.
Interior - which goes from Farminhao and goes into Spain after chaves and then goes via the camino sana res to Santiago

Then there is the central way, which goes from Porto (or first lisbon to porto) to vilarinho, rates, barcelos, ponte de lima ect....

And finally the coastal. From porto to vila do conde, viana do castelo, caminha vila nova de cerveira. You then go inland to valenca or stay on the coast and go via vigo to pontevedra and then Santiago.

Looking at your plan, you are walking the central route. For this i would advise to walk from porto via matosinhos to Vila do conde (so first day on the coastal) and then on the second day go in inland to Rates, Barcelos ect

I did not stay in casa da fernanda and not sure where exactly it is, but lots of people here rave about it, so i am sure you'll enjoy that :)
Coastal or.... Viana do Castelo, Caminha, A Guarda, Oia ,Baiona, Vigo to Redondela and on to Pontevedra on the interior, the real caminho da Costa !

Casa da Fernanda is coming from Barcelos, about 18 kms direction Ponte de Lima -3 kms beyond Balugaēs on the camino ! In a hamlet called Vilhadiz. From there to Ponte de Lima is 14 kms.
Give Fernanda a call on before hand. It can be busy. !

Hi Michryan
Bom caminho
AMSimoes

We just finished the coastal Camino Portugese and stayed at Hostal del Mar in A Guarda.
The host Rafi was amazingly hospitable!
We stayed in Arcade at O Lar de Pepa

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back