• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portuguese Camino

Olivia2012

Hi, I was just wondering whether anyone could help me? I am hoping to walk some of the Portuguese Camino at the beginning of June this year and would like some suggestions as to where I should start. I don't necessarily have to walk to Santiago as I have already walked some of the Saint James route last year. I have roughly 12 days to spare and want a section which is scenic, well marked and has albergues to stay in along the way. Can anyone help?
Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Olivia,

For a pleasurable 12 day walk, consider starting in Porto, walk from the Cathedral, thru town to the Metro station...take the metro to the end of the line Vilar do Pinheiro. In town, go to the main bus station (plenty of buses every 10 minutes or so). Bus to Barcelos. Stay overnight and set out in the morning. This gives you an opportunity to stay at the Casa de Dona Fernanda...a MUST visit on the CP. From then on you will see much of the beautiful Portuguese countryside crossing over the Minho River at Valenca and into Spain at Tui. (the CSJ downloadable guide is really good and accurate).

I walked the CP last October and, although I walked much of the Oporto section, I found the Tui to SDC section well marked, scenic and populated with albergues at reasonable distances.

Bom Caminho,

Arn

Hey Arn,
Thank you for that, it was really useful! Did you pick your credential up in Porto? I talked to someone who did it a while ago and she said that no one really seemed to know about the Camino there and it wasn't well marked. That was a few years ago so maybe things are better now?
Also is there a lot of road walking on that route?
Cheers
Olivia

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Olivia,
Johnnie Walker authored the downloadable CSJ guide on the CP, Portia updated it and Sue redid some arrows.
You can pick up your credential at the Cathedral.
Update your info by reading the CP entries.
You will have a great camino.
Bom Caminho,
Arn

I agree, Porto is a good place to start...plus the city itself is lovely. Spend a day or two there visiting the breweries and eating grilled sardinhas on the river! YUM!

My partner and I did the Portuguese Camino just a few weeks ago and did pretty much what Arn advises. We spent a 2 days in Porto then took the train to Barcelos and spent another 2 days there (Festival of the Crosses) before setting out on our camino. We did stay at Casa Fernanda and agree that it should be on the top of everyone's list (a highlight of our pilgrimage), good will and hospitality at it's highest level. We also took a day off in Caldas de Reis to enjoy the thermal mineral springs. The albergues (except for Caldas de Reis) were very comfortable and well kept. We're already planning to go again ... thinking of doing the coastal route from Porto next time.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Greetings from Jerusalem and Shalom Olivia
Porto is a lovely place to start and the Camino is well marked all the way to Santiago a very good reason to leave the beaten track and see what you might find. Vila do Conde is an interesting stop, the church is lovely if you can find it open! Consider a day trip from Barcelos to Braga (24k) the town itself is just another place but Bom Jesus is a place you should see & Guimares (another 20k) the old capital of Portugal and a beautiful stop. Catch the market at Ponte de Lima and do the side trip to Viana do Castelo to see church and Municipal museum with ceramics. Cross into Spain and move your watch! Pontevedra is a lovely town with a side trip to the village Comarro and then…goodness what an adventure awaits you!!
Bom Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back