• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portuguese Central Camino

arleneo

Time of past OR future Camino
El Camino de Santiago French Way
Portuguese Camino - Central Route
Approximate time to walk Central Portuguese from Porto to Santiago?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Approximate time to walk Central Portuguese from Porto to Santiago?
It is usually 10 days if you follow the stages as laid out in the various guide books like Brierleys guide book for example. Good to have a day or two in hand if you want a rest day or do a few shorter days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you interested in the Central or Interior? You are posting in the Interior sub-forum.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Depends on how fast you want to walk. It's 10 days in the Brierley's guide. I did it in 9 days, was lucky to meet a companion who liked fast walking as well so it helped. Had enough time and energy in the evening to walk around towns on the way. Potentially could have done it in 8 if only I had the right boots. The good thing is there are plenty of options where to stay on the way from Porto, so it could be very flexible, not like the way from Lisbon to Porto.

Interior route...12 Days. Closely follows Roman roads...many still rural and beautiful. Others now paved over and fast moving traffic a concern at times. All that...very doable at a moderate pace.
Buen Camino
Arn

The usual route is 10 days. You can start along the coast and cut in, either in Portugal or wait until you get to Spain. Or, you can start and walk the inland route.

Use the search function to find out more about the part of the Camino Portuguese from Porto to Santiago.

Hope this helps.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Most of the 10-day itineraries in the various guides are based on taking the metro or bus out to the fringes of Porto. If you have time, an alternative is a very pleasant walk from the Cathedral in Porto down the hill to the River Duoro, along the river to the Atlantic shore, then up the broad sea-side avenue to Matoshinos or even farther on the boardwalks to Vila Chã. From Vila Chã it's an easy one-day walk through Vila do Conde and then inland to Rates where you'll join the central route (actually joining the central route at the medieval bridge at Arcos).

I plan on doing the Portuguese camino from Porto starting around April 23. Will I be walking mostly by myself then? I really hope not!

I plan on doing the Portuguese camino from Porto starting around April 23. Will I be walking mostly by myself then? I really hope not!
This is something I am worried about too. I will be starting in early May at Porto. I was thinking of doing the coastal route, but I don't want to be too lonely. Any guidance or suggestions"

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

My wife and I hope to be hitting Porto by April 26.

This is something I am worried about too. I will be starting in early May at Porto. I was thinking of doing the coastal route, but I don't want to be too lonely. Any guidance or suggestions"
Hi, i`m also planning myself to do the portuguese coastal way around 4th or 5th may 2018.... It will be my 1st experience and I would love to meet and join someone or a group. Cheers from Switzerland, IG

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
A small family group of us ( five of us ) will be starting from Porto in September. It should be interesting, experience ranging from two Camino Francis by my wife and I, one cousin has Camino Francis experience and two other cousins with no experience. Any recommendations on hotels in Porto? Or for that matter, places along the way for a group our size.

Hi, i`m also planning myself to do the portuguese coastal way around 4th or 5th may 2018.... It will be my 1st experience and I would love to meet and join someone or a group. Cheers from Switzerland, IG
I think I am starting the 6th or 7th. Depending on pace we might cross paths.

I think I am starting the 6th or 7th. Depending on pace we might cross paths.

Hello!

we can keep in touch and try to meet and start the camino together...
From where will you arrive?

IG

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello!

IG
I think I land in Lisbon early morning on the 7th and immediately take the bus to Porto. Depending on how I feel when I get Porto, I might walk to Povoa de Varzim or I might take another bus there.

Hello!

IG
I think I land in Lisbon early morning on the 7th and immediately take the bus to Porto. Depending on how I feel when I get Porto, I might walk to Povoa de Varzim or I might take another bus there.

ok,
i have a couple of friends who live in lisbon who might be interested in too. If you want to keep in touch we can arrange ourselves to meet at lisbon and go together to Porto.

IG

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Are you interested in the Central or Interior? You are posting in the Interior sub-forum.
I believe it's the Central - via Tui. Trails' names are confusing. Plan is Lisbon - Tomar-Porto - onward!

Plan is Lisbon - Tomar- Porto and then onward twds. Tui and on to SANTIAGO!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
list the 10 Brierley overnight stops from Porto?

Brierley has 11 stages:

Vilarinho, 27.6kms
Barcelos, 29.6
Ponte de Lima, 34.7
Rubiaes, 18.6
Valenca / Tui, 16.9 / 20.3
Porrino, 18.4
Redondela, 16.1
Pontevedra, 20.2
Caldas de Reis, 22.2
Padron, 19.1
Santiago, 25.6

Jill

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back