• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portuguese central way

Richard A Stead

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino France's (2016) Portuguese 2017
Last year I walked from SJPP to Santiago and found Sarria onwards crowded and a little overwhelming. Is the Portuguese central quieter and especially the last 100ks ?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes! You can start in Valenca do Minhon in Portugal and walk across the bridge /border into Tui, Spain. Then it's pretty much straight up to Santiago (Valenca, Tui, Porino, Redondela, Pontevedra, Caldas, Padron, Santiago). It's 115 km. Otherwise you can start in Tui. There is a book here for sale on the Portuguese Camino. Buen Camino/Ultreia

Much quieter. Even the last hundred.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Last year I walked from SJPP to Santiago and found Sarria onwards crowded and a little overwhelming. Is the Portuguese central quieter and especially the last 100ks ?
Actually there are several routes in Portugal and the route that they describe as 'central' goes up the middle of Portugal and through Chaves to Verin then joins one of the Sanabres variants, either the low route to Allariz or up to Laza. I did Chaves to Verin and up to Laza and didn't see a soul until Ourense but it would be different in summer. On the other hand for that central route the last 100k would be from Ourense!

Last year in September coming in to Santiago on the Portuguese route was very quiet. It did not even compare to the previous year coming in to Santiago on the Francés. The walk in to the city was nicer and shorter too.

Bom Caminho!

Richard,

What period are you gonna do the Camino Portugues?

Marcel

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ok Richard,
I am just reading your post about it....

Thnx

Marcel

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.