• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portuguese coastal 2022 tips

Caminonewbie86

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese Coastal 15th May 2022!
Hey folks 😊

I leave Porto 15th May and was hoping for a few tips and a little advice. I've been thinking about this for quite some time so I'm relatively prepared. Was planning to do it last year but then borders closed again, so I did the West Highland Way in Scotland! Whilst it was shorter, I'm definitely happy not to be carrying my tent this time! (or the rain, so much rain...I walked 3 miles in the wrong direction because the path and a stream were indistinguishable...I walked through the stream thinking it was the path, they were identical 😂) It was tough, but amazing!

I have a couple of questions I was hoping for a bit of help with:

Has anyone done the coastal route recently and can comment on any albergues that are still closed? Also, due to Covid, do you still get blankets/pillows etc.

I read somewhere that many albergues don't have cubicles and communal showers are common?! Is this true? I can handle cold showers, cramped noisy dorms, limited facilities, but I draw the line at getting naked with strangers 😅

One of my major concerns is Vigo. Well not Vigo itself, I'm quite looking forward to visiting, but not looking forward to the idea of walking through the suburbs/industrial areas to get there. Anyone done the Senda Litoral to Vigo from A Ramallosa/Baiona?

Favourite place to stay in Santiago de Compostela?

I love walking solo and taking my own pace, but if anyone else is due in Santiago 19th May, please let me know. Would love to celebrate (if I make it 😅) with other pilgrims.

Any comments on best/worst legs of the Portuguese coastal would also be greatly appreciated

Buen Camino/Bom Caminho!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Welcome!

I can't help you with most of your requests but I have collected other pilgrims recommendations for accommodation in Santiago de Compostela over the past couple of years and these are available at this Google Maps public list, see: https://maps.app.goo.gl/2PupYyh3aXzmJscp6

The list also includes some recommendations for good places to eat.

I hope that you enjoy your Camino.

Hey folks 😊

I leave Porto 15th May and was hoping for a few tips and a little advice. I've been thinking about this for quite some time so I'm relatively prepared. Was planning to do it last year but then borders closed again, so I did the West Highland Way in Scotland! Whilst it was shorter, I'm definitely happy not to be carrying my tent this time! (or the rain, so much rain...I walked 3 miles in the wrong direction because the path and a stream were indistinguishable...I walked through the stream thinking it was the path, they were identical 😂) It was tough, but amazing!

Has anyone done the coastal route recently and can comment on any albergues that are still closed? Also, due to Covid, do you still get blankets/pillows etc.

I read somewhere that many albergues don't have cubicles and communal showers are common?! Is this true? I can handle cold showers, cramped noisy dorms, limited facilities, but I draw the line at getting naked with strangers 😅

One of my major concerns is Vigo. Well not Vigo itself, I'm quite looking forward to visiting, but not looking forward to the idea of walking through the suburbs/industrial areas to get there. Anyone done the Senda Litoral to Vigo from A Ramallosa/Baiona?

I love walking solo and taking my own pace, but if anyone else is due in Santiago 19th May, please let me know. Would love to celebrate (if I make it 😅) with other pilgrims.

Any comments on best/worst legs of the Portuguese coastal would also be greatly appreciated

Buen Camino/Bom Caminho!
LOL... Communal showers are rooms with multiple shower stalls - I didn't get naked with anyone on my last Camino LMAO (I suppose that might be disappointing to some - but not the purpose of my Camino LMAO). But it isn't like the old gym locker rooms that had multiple showers without division between each shower - if that is what you were thinking (and yes - communal showers kind of implies that - but you have your own shower stall).

And I wouldn't count on every place having blankets but I did have pillows at every place last year (Frances). I am doing Porto to Santiago in June/July. And gronze.com had a pretty accurate list of albergues showing what was closed/open.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi @Caminonewbie86 ! I think you're going to love the Portugués Coastal Route- I just walked from Porto to Vigo a few weeks ago (mid-April), and I thought it was incredible.

It seems that most albergues are open; I use Gronze.com to look at the towns/villages and lodging options, the site is typically pretty up to date with what's open/closed. I did stay in a couple hostels (not quite albergues, but of course very similar!), but I also stayed in a few really, really fabulous albergues. All but one provided a blanket! I do think that depends on where you stay, but compared to when I walked (in Spain) last summer, there seem to be more blankets again this year.

I walked the Senda Litoral from A Ramallosa to Vigo and it was really beautiful! A good way to enter the city. It's not too hard to follow, and there are green arrows marking the way but I was pleasantly surprised to see a bunch of Camino yellow arrows as well!

I've just finished posting videos of the walk on my YouTube channel, and here's the video where I started on the Senda Litoral towards Vigo (that will give you a sense of what you can expect... there was even a map that helped show the different route options!)

Last thing- I totally relate to walking the wrong way on a path because of the rain! My first day of the Pennine Way was a WET one, and I definitely went a mile in the wrong direction, walking in a little stream thinking it was the path. Ha!

Bom Caminho, I hope you have a wonderful journey!

Hey folks 😊

Buen Camino/Bom Caminho!
Hi
I am not sure how much I can put your mind at rest. I did Camino da Costa in April 2019. It was my 4th Camino and also my wettest. On the good days it is beautiful but, on the days, when the storms come in off the Atlantic the rain can be of biblical proportions. A couple of day I considered building an ark. I always warn people about Vigo. The signage both in and out is poor and the town is busy. A group of us all arrived at the alberque together having teamed up lost in the centre of town. My arrival was on a Saturday afternoon and not only was there the huge Peugeot plant and industrial area to negotiate Celta Vigo were playing at home so there was also the football crowd to pass through. Having said all this, it is worth all the effort to enjoy the old town and the port area. I am sure you will enjoy this Camino it really is great fun,
Buen Camino
Vince

Hey folks 😊

Buen Camino/Bom Caminho!
Hello. We have just completed the coastal route which was beautiful. I would recommend a buff or scarf as it can be quite windy on the coastline and glasses. We experienced a lot of sand dust on the way to Mougas. There is a lot of board walking on this early stretch as well. Best places I advise to take rest days are Vila da Conde and Viana de Castelo and try and find time to take the the Funicular up to the church and also see the Celtic village remains, truly beautiful with a view over the town.
We also had a couple of days in Porto to begin with which was great sightseeing particularly the old historical part near the Cathedral and managed to do a round circular walk crossing the two main bridges.
We avoided Vigo, it was very busy and congested and stayed on the outskirts in Hotel O Pazo which was basic but very reasonable and not far from the Camino path.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Caminonewbie8 we have not done the Portuguese Coastal route recently but you can read more about our Portuguese Camino of 2018 on our block here: https://wetanddustyroads.com/category/caminos/camino-portuguese-april-2018/

Wet did the entire Portuguese Camino form Lisbon and took the coastal route from Porto. There is not much albegues on this stretch but rather hostels and you will indeed meet fellow pilgrims but there might also be other tourists at the hostels.

From Lisbon to Porto was not a lot of pilgrims but more from Porto. The coastal route is very nice and you walk on timber walkways most of the time. The Portuguese Camino is known for its cobble roads which are not so nice after a while but the timber walkways are heaven compared to the cobble roads.

We have met a number of solo pilgrims on the coastal road and it should not be a problem in fact we did not see a lot of people like in Spain. The Spanish Camino can be quite busy now towards July.

Hi @Caminonewbie86 ! I think you're going to love the Portugués Coastal Route- I just walked from Porto to Vigo a few weeks ago (mid-April), and I thought it was incredible.

It seems that most albergues are open; I use Gronze.com to look at the towns/villages and lodging options, the site is typically pretty up to date with what's open/closed. I did stay in a couple hostels (not quite albergues, but of course very similar!), but I also stayed in a few really, really fabulous albergues. All but one provided a blanket! I do think that depends on where you stay, but compared to when I walked (in Spain) last summer, there seem to be more blankets again this year.

I walked the Senda Litoral from A Ramallosa to Vigo and it was really beautiful! A good way to enter the city. It's not too hard to follow, and there are green arrows marking the way but I was pleasantly surprised to see a bunch of Camino yellow arrows as well!

I've just finished posting videos of the walk on my YouTube channel, and here's the video where I started on the Senda Litoral towards Vigo (that will give you a sense of what you can expect... there was even a map that helped show the different route options!)

Last thing- I totally relate to walking the wrong way on a path because of the rain! My first day of the Pennine Way was a WET one, and I definitely went a mile in the wrong direction, walking in a little stream thinking it was the path. Ha!

Bom Caminho, I hope you have a wonderful journey!
Beautiful photography and editing. I’m so glad you took the time to record the beauty of walking a Camino along the ocean. It brought back so many memories of my Camino in 2018, but I don't remember seeing so many arrows. I checked out your next video, and walking along the coast on the Senda Litoral would have been a better option for me, since entering Vigo on the main Camino route is not pleasant.

Hey folks 😊

Buen Camino/Bom Caminho!
I am leaving out of Porto on May 14, I hope to see you along the way. You will probably pass me. I am walking the tradition route with one exception; I will take the boat from Caminha and walk to Oia. Then a short walk to Mougas; Talaso Atlantico; It is my non pilgrim spurge. In Oia, I plan to stay at La Cala Inn which comes highly recommended by many pilgrims from my local Camino Chapter.

Bom Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi,

I did the coastal litoral last year end of october, and it's was all good. it may be busier now but even then lots of places to stay and for 15e you had blankets, pillows and towels. luxury.

Vigo is interesting, yes certainly big and bustling and quite busy after those quiet camino days, but fun too, eclectic choice of restaurants (yeah sushi), i quite liked it. the way in and out was well signed i thought, i didnt have any problems. it must have changed in the last couple of years because i'd been warned beforehand, but I thought it was really good, just need to pay attention.

Enjoy, I loved it!!

buon camino.

ps. I second la cala in oia, lovely

Most read last week in this forum

Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back