• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portuguese Coastal Camino 2016

Sheena

Time of past OR future Camino
C de F (2015), P.Coastal (2016), CamIngles (2017), Senda Littoral (2018), CP Lisbon - Coimbra (2019)
My husband and I are making our second Camino starting on 08 June 2016. Walking from Porto to Santiago. Initially along the coast to A Guarda, then inland to meet friends in Tui and north from there. Hoping we bump into some of you out there! Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My husband and I are making our second Camino starting on 08 June 2016. Walking from Porto to Santiago. Initially along the coast to A Guarda, then inland to meet friends in Tui and north from there. Hoping we bump into some of you out there! Buen Camino!
Ola, Sheena,

Maybe you should put your starting date in Forum Calendar:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/calendar/
This way more of the forum members will see it. I think you can put already existing OP in the Calendar otherwise you'll have to write another one to enter the dates.

Bom Caminho!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ola K.O, y gracias / e obrigado!
Hope we don't get the two languages too mixed up while we're away!
I'm very new to this site, so your information is very valuable! I've managed to add our existing post to the calendar - looks like the first for June 2016!
I see you're a seasoned walker so I wish you well if you have plans for next year.
Adios / tchau.

Hello Sheena,
I will be leading a group of grandparents with their grandchildren along with a few blind students and their teacher along the Caminho Portugês Via Costeira beginning from Porto on July 9th, 2016. I love this route, it is beautiful. Will you be in Santiago for the feast of St. James? My tour group will be arriving in SdC on the 24th! It should be great fun.

It looks as though we may be a day or two behind you, we will actually begin walking from Matosinhos on the 11th of July after a day to get acclimated to the time change and jet lag. Look for us along the way or in SdC, everyone in the group will be wearing a light blue bandana.

www.choosehappinessadventures.com

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I start from Lisbon on May 12 but I think I will be a little ahead of you still. Hopefully I will run into (walk into??) other pilgrims along the way...

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hello Sheena,
I will be leading a group of grandparents with their grandchildren along with a few blind students and their teacher along the Caminho Portugês Via Costeira beginning from Porto on June 9th, 2016. I love this route, it is beautiful. Will you be in Santiago for the feast of St. James? My tour group will be arriving in SdC on the 24th! It should be great fun.

It looks as though we may be a day or two behind you, we will actually begin walking from Matosinhos on the 11th of July after a day to get acclimated to the time change and jet lag. Look for us along the way or in SdC, everyone in the group will be wearing a light blue bandana.

Hello Sheena,
I will be leading a group of grandparents with their grandchildren along with a few blind students and their teacher along the Caminho Portugês Via Costeira beginning from Porto on June 9th, 2016. I love this route, it is beautiful. Will you be in Santiago for the feast of St. James? My tour group will be arriving in SdC on the 24th! It should be great fun.

Ola amourier!
Sorry I'm a little confused by the dates in your post, would you be starting off in June or July? If it is June - I think you'll be a little while behind us as we set off on the 8th June, but we will look out for you all! From your post, it sounds like you've walked this route before - I've been watching some of the videos about it and it does indeed look very beautiful! If you're walking in July - we hope you enjoy the St. James celebrations - sadly we'll be home on 25th June, so will miss them completely. Bom Caminho / Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I start from Lisbon on May 12 but I think I will be a little ahead of you still. Hopefully I will run into (walk into??) other pilgrims along the way...

Ola! Did you add your starting point to the forum calendar yet?

Ola, y gracias / e obrigado!
I found your friend Luis's maps some time ago by accident - they look wonderful. Over the winter I'll be printing and sticking them together!

You can also have a look at my collection of internet map resources of the Camino Portuguese under the "Version and info"-sheet of the document I refer to on the list of accomodations along the route

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-route-portugues-route-monacal-coastal.35534/

Bom caminho!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked the costal Camino last year. The way north is beautiful and If you goggle there's a local who has provided extra way marks and arranged accommodation in his local village hall a wonderful experience

I walked the costal Camino last year. The way north is beautiful and If you goggle there's a local who has provided extra way marks and arranged accommodation in his local village hall a wonderful experience
The hostel is AGuarda is great and take a trip to the top of the mountain the views are amazing

Hi Hugh. Do you have a link to the 'extra waymarks' information please? I tried googling but haven't found what you describe as yet. Obrigardo, Sheena.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Hugh. Do you have a link to the 'extra waymarks' information please? I tried googling but haven't found what you describe as yet. Obrigardo, Sheena.
I have searched but cannot find. By memory it was Frexico and his marks were green. I will have another search and get back to you

I have searched but cannot find. By memory it was Frexico and his marks were green. I will have another search and get back to you
May I suggest you get in touch with a Portuguse guide mr Zeca Pereira. He regularly walks the route and was very helpful to me. You can find him on Facebook

May I suggest you get in touch with a Portuguse guide mr Zeca Pereira. He regularly walks the route and was very helpful to me. You can find him on Facebook

Thanks Hugh. Next time I'm on there I'll have a look for him. I think with the walking guide from our travel company, our own guide book and maps, we shouldn't go too far wrong. Anyway we shall keep to the best bit of advice we were given is 'keep the sea on your left!'

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Sheena,

Hello Arlene. Anne Maddock from Oz here. I am currently planning Lisbon - Santiago for next year, possible September. We will miss meeting yet again. [ October 2013] Still following your blog.

Thanks Hugh. Next time I'm on there I'll have a look for him. I think with the walking guide from our travel company, our own guide book and maps, we shouldn't go too far wrong. Anyway we shall keep to the best bit of advice we were given is 'keep the sea on your left!'
Yes keep the sea on your left ..... but there are long periods without sight of it and in the ecuaplatus forests they have marked many trees with an arrow, problem is ecuaplatuas trees she's there bark all the time. Take care and look for little arrows painted on small rocks

Hello Arlene. Anne Maddock from Oz here. I am currently planning Lisbon - Santiago for next year, possible September. We will miss meeting yet again. [ October 2013] Still following your blog.
Anne, surely one of these days we will meet up along the Way. Until then we will simply have to keep returning ~ Arlène

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ola amourier!
Sorry I'm a little confused by the dates in your post, would you be starting off in June or July? If it is June - I think you'll be a little while behind us as we set off on the 8th June, but we will look out for you all! From your post, it sounds like you've walked this route before - I've been watching some of the videos about it and it does indeed look very beautiful! If you're walking in July - we hope you enjoy the St. James celebrations - sadly we'll be home on 25th June, so will miss them completely. Bom Caminho / Buen Camino!
Hi Sheena, my mistake, we meet up in Porto on July 9th and begin walking on July 11th from Matosinhos to arrive on the Eve of St. James Day in Santiago. Yes, I've walked the Camino Portuguese many times. It is one of my favorite routes. I choose to lead tours on this route as it is not as crowded as the Francés and private accommodations are relatively easy to obtain. ~ Arlène

I am well on my way to planning my first Camino in August 2016 from Lisbon to Porto and then the coastal route from Porto re-joining the main route at Arcade. I will be watching you who are going before me and hanging out for your comments.

I am well on my way to planning my first Camino in August 2016 from Lisbon to Porto and then the coastal route from Porto re-joining the main route at Arcade. I will be watching you who are going before me and hanging out for your comments.
Have you looked at the you tube clips of the Portuguese costal some of them show the route very well and the Hostels

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Have you looked at the you tube clips of the Portuguese costal some of them show the route very well and the Hostels
Yes. I have been looking at you tube clips, videos, reading books, dreaming and planning for some time now. I can't quite believe it is really going to happen after all these years. I will continue to follow others adventures an gain from the valuable information you all provide.

The route along the Soanish coast is quite specular, well worth considering. There is s local expert on the route Luis Frexio you can find him on the Internet. In his village they have converted an upstairs room in the village hall to accomadate six pilgrims. There is also a bar and food in the hall. When I got intouch he and his wife were amazingly hospitable as were the locals. I also did the Eapritual variant which was very beautiful also. There is one guide book on the Costal route which has all the hostels in it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My wife and I are planning to do the Camino Portuguese in Aug-Sep 2016. After Porto, I wanted to do the Central Route and my wife wanted the Coastal Route. We are considering a compromise that is somewhat similar to yours. However, we would follow the Coastal Route as far as Caminha (just before you cross the rio Minho into Spain) and taking a route along the Portuguese side of the Minho to Valenca, where we would rejoin the Central route and on to Tui. We have seen this route on various websites, with maps. Has anyone tried this route? Is it (well) waymarked? My wife is concerned that there might be no other pilgrims on this route and that we might meet up with local dogs (and people) that aren't used to having pilgrims walk through. Any advice?

My wife and I are planning to do the Camino Portuguese in Aug-Sep 2016. After Porto, I wanted to do the Central Route and my wife wanted the Coastal Route. We are considering a compromise that is somewhat similar to yours. However, we would follow the Coastal Route as far as Caminha (just before you cross the rio Minho into Spain) and taking a route along the Portuguese side of the Minho to Valenca, where we would rejoin the Central route and on to Tui. We have seen this route on various websites, with maps. Has anyone tried this route? Is it (well) waymarked? My wife is concerned that there might be no other pilgrims on this route and that we might meet up with local dogs (and people) that aren't used to having pilgrims walk through. Any advice?

There is so much advice here on the web-site, people have been so generous, I don't think there's anything more to be said. Other than, Bom Caminho to you both. Whichever route you finally decide on will be fabulous I'm sure!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Go for it. It's a wonderful Camino very beautiful and the villages are lovely. No problems when I did it with accomadation. The route is well marked just follow the river ro the se at via de Conde and the path until you leave the last small town and the arrows are very good. I didn't have a map or guide book and had absloutly no problems. It's so much nicer than the central route. Do the Eapritual variant as well

...we would follow the Coastal Route as far as Caminha (just before you cross the rio Minho into Spain) and taking a route along the Portuguese side of the Minho to Valenca, where we would rejoin the Central route and on to Tui. We have seen this route on various websites, with maps. Has anyone tried this route? Is it (well) waymarked? My wife is concerned that there might be no other pilgrims on this route and that we might meet up with local dogs (and people) that aren't used to having pilgrims walk through. Any advice?

I did this route in 2014 using the Freixo maps. The Caminha to Valenca link is well marked and the Freixo map was easy to follow. I was the only one walking this route that day and had no concerns. The locals will recognize you as pilgrims. I ran into a road crew that was digging on the marked path, so I was started to detour around their work site when they called out to me, moved their truck and stopped digging so I could continue my walk without delay.

Even if there are no other pilgrims it is still a great day's walk and I highly recommend it.

Sadly my husband hurt his back/hip the day before we flew out to Portugal. It was too late to cancel by the time we realised how bad he was. So a week into our Camino we arrived in A Guarda and he's still unable to walk. We've been travelling by public transport whenever we can and taxi otherwise. We're going to have to return next year to walk the Coastal route properly, but at least I'll be walking to Santiago, when our friends arrive to meet us in Tui on Tuesday. Keeping our fingers crossed Alan will be able to walk at some point.

PS.
As is turned out Alan was unable to walk at all, though I managed to complete the second half of the journey we planned with our friends. Our GP here in Ireland has diagnosed injury to the sacroiliac joint and muscles in Alan's back, so it will be a while before he's back walking. El Camino de Costa will have to wait until next year! S

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back