A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Portuguese Coastal Camino. Porto to Santiago.

Sheena

Camino(s) past & future
Camino de France (2015), Portuguese Coastal (2016), Ingles (2017), Senda Littoral (2018)
As it's a significant birthday for me next year, I'm hoping that next May, my husband and I, and some of our walking buddies, will be returning to beautiful Portugal to walk the Coastal Route from Porto to Caminha. We will then be finding a route from A Guarda to Pontevedra along the Vigo River and of course finding a way to end our journey in Santiago!

It will be our fourth Camino and I'm already planning a route even though we've not long come back from walking the Camino Ingles! That's probably because we couldn't walk the route in 2016 as my husband had injured his back and couldn't walk a step. This year it was my turn for problems - I was diagnosed with shingles on Day Two! If we don't encounter any other problems (hips and knees are getting quite dodgy now) we will then have walked nearly all the way, tip to toe of the Iberian peninsula!

Keeping my fingers crossed! And toes! Maybe not my eyes though!

Advertisment

Devon Mike

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Finisterre & Muxia (2014, 2015, 2016 & 2018), Primitivo & Ingles (2017)
Hi Sheena

I will be on the Camino Portuguese in October/November this year starting in Lisbon and walking the main route to Porto then the coastal route to Caminha, a ferry to A Guarda then continuing along the coastal route through Mougas, Baiona and Vigo to rejoin the main route at Redondela. Then walk to Pontevedra where I will go west to the coast on the Variante Espiritual which rejoins the main route at Padron for the final day to Santiago.

Buen Camino

Mike

stevov

Camino(s) past & future
walked the portuguese way (senda littoral). from porto, vila do conde via viana and redondela Jun 17
I have just completed the coastal route/senda from porto to Santiago. As Mike above I went via Vila do Conde, esposende, viana, caminha (be advised...no ferry on Mondays!), a Guarda, oia, Baiona, Vigo, redondela, pontevedra, caldas, patron (inland route), and Santiago. It took me 17 days inc a day to see porto, and rest days in baiona and pontevedra and a extra day in santiago (the latter is a must do). Some parts of the senda are poorly signposted and other parts are incomplete. My weather was very hot and bear in mind that parts of the walk on the Portuguese coast are very windy and often there is coastal fog. Other parts taking you somewhat inland are hilly and can include very difficult uneven granite pavement in the forested parts especially. Basic advice, leave early, around dawn especially if it's going to be hot...take reasonable stock of food and water...at least a litre...as you can walk a long time without coming across shops / cafes. You will need a pole or stick. I saw few pilgrims in portugal. Otherwise enjoy...it's a beautiful route.

Mike Savage

So many friends to meet . . . so little time
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés,Inglés
Muxia/Finisterre
Português Coastal
Português Central
Sanabrés
I have just completed the coastal route/senda from porto to Santiago. As Mike above I went via Vila do Conde, esposende, viana, caminha (be advised...no ferry on Mondays!), a Guarda, oia, Baiona, Vigo, redondela, pontevedra, caldas, patron (inland route), and Santiago. It took me 17 days inc a day to see porto, and rest days in baiona and pontevedra and a extra day in santiago (the latter is a must do). Some parts of the senda are poorly signposted and other parts are incomplete. My weather was very hot and bear in mind that parts of the walk on the Portuguese coast are very windy and often there is coastal fog. Other parts taking you somewhat inland are hilly and can include very difficult uneven granite pavement in the forested parts especially. Basic advice, leave early, around dawn especially if it's going to be hot...take reasonable stock of food and water...at least a litre...as you can walk a long time without coming across shops / cafes. You will need a pole or stick. I saw few pilgrims in portugal. Otherwise enjoy...it's a beautiful route.
Congratulations Stevov!

Camino(s) past & future
Portugese
How frequent are ferries?... or how early ... thank you

Advertisment

jsalt

Jill
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Portugués, Francés, Le Puy, Rota Vicentina, De Soulac, Norte, Madrid-Salvador-Primitivo
How frequent are ferries?... or how early ... thank you
Hi, the ferry runs every hour on the hour, from about 9am to 7pm, but NOT at low tide. I missed one at 11am and had to wait until 3pm for the next one. The schedule changes according to the tides.
Jill

stevov

Camino(s) past & future
walked the portuguese way (senda littoral). from porto, vila do conde via viana and redondela Jun 17

Sheena

Camino(s) past & future
Camino de France (2015), Portuguese Coastal (2016), Ingles (2017), Senda Littoral (2018)
As it's a significant birthday for me next year, I'm hoping that next May, my husband and I, and some of our walking buddies, will be returning to beautiful Portugal to walk the Coastal Route from Porto to Caminha. We will then be finding a route from A Guarda to Pontevedra along the Vigo River and of course finding a way to end our journey in Santiago!

It will be our fourth Camino and I'm already planning a route even though we've not long come back from walking the Camino Ingles! That's probably because we couldn't walk the route in 2016 as my husband had injured his back and couldn't walk a step. This year it was my turn for problems - I was diagnosed with shingles on Day Two! If we don't encounter any other problems (hips and knees are getting quite dodgy now) we will then have walked nearly all the way, tip to toe of the Iberian peninsula!

Flights booked!
Due to unexpected family commitments, we're only walking as far as A Guarda now though, then spending a couple of days in Vigo before we come home to beautiful Ireland.
Not long to wait now!

Please can I ask you all two questions?

1. What is the best way to get from A Guarda to Vigo City, bus?

2. If you have any information about the buses to Vigo Airport from the city, early on a Sunday morning?
I'm having great difficulty understanding the websites and would be very grateful if you could help.

Thanks very much.
Sheena

stevov

Camino(s) past & future
My daughter caught the atsa bus in vigo to join me in baiona which is on a route that I believe goes thru to a Guarda....so i checked for you in reverse and on their site http://www.automovilesdetuy.es/horarios.html it does appear there are quite a few atsa buses from a guarda to vigo by slightly different routes. The most direct is possibly the first on the list below (all these are the 'baiona route'...the translation says Bayonne but they mean baiona ) as its via Oia and mougas ie which is directly north up the coast road (the Senda camino). You could try tourist office email to double check but it looks like you should get one or other bus. As far as vigo airport ix concerned vigo has an excellent bus service and there is a station at the airport. Buen camino

THE GUARD - GO TO BAIONA
Main itineraries:

A Guarda - Sanxian - Oia - Viladesuso - Mougás - Mariñas - Rocamar - Baiona - Sabarís - Ramallosa - Mallón - Nigrán - Priegue - Saians - San Miguel de Oia - Rotes - Coruxo - San Andrés - Caramuxo - Florida - Vigo.
Identification in the schedules: Bayonne .

A Guarda - Pancenteo - News - Fornelos - O Rosal - A Guarda - Sanxian - Oia - Viladesuso - Mougás - Mariñas - Rocamar - Baiona - Sabarís - Ramallosa - Mallón - Nigrán - Priegue - Saians - San Miguel de Oia - Roteas - Coruxo - San Andres - Caramuxo - Florida - Vigo.
Identification in the schedules: Bayonne (tour of O Rosal) or Bayonne - O Rosal .

Camposancos - A Guarda - Sanxian - Oia - Viladesuso - Mougás - Mariñas - Rocamar - Baiona - Sabarís - Ramallosa - Mallón - Nigrán - Priegue - Saians - San Miguel de Oia - Roteas - Coruxo - San Andrés - Caramuxo - Florida - Vigo.
Identification in the schedules: Bayonne (route through Camposancos)

Attachments

Sheena

Camino(s) past & future
My daughter caught the atsa bus in vigo to join me in baiona which is on a route that I believe goes thru to a Guarda....so i checked for you in reverse and on their site http://www.automovilesdetuy.es/horarios.html it does appear there are quite a few atsa buses from a guarda to vigo by slightly different routes. The most direct is possibly the first on the list below (all these are the 'baiona route'...the translation says Bayonne but they mean baiona ) as its via Oia and mougas ie which is directly north up the coast road (the Senda camino). You could try tourist office email to double check but it looks like you should get one or other bus. As far as vigo airport ix concerned vigo has an excellent bus service and there is a station at the airport. Buen camino

THE GUARD - GO TO BAIONA
Main itineraries:

A Guarda - Sanxian - Oia - Viladesuso - Mougás - Mariñas - Rocamar - Baiona - Sabarís - Ramallosa - Mallón - Nigrán - Priegue - Saians - San Miguel de Oia - Rotes - Coruxo - San Andrés - Caramuxo - Florida - Vigo.
Identification in the schedules: Bayonne .

A Guarda - Pancenteo - News - Fornelos - O Rosal - A Guarda - Sanxian - Oia - Viladesuso - Mougás - Mariñas - Rocamar - Baiona - Sabarís - Ramallosa - Mallón - Nigrán - Priegue - Saians - San Miguel de Oia - Roteas - Coruxo - San Andres - Caramuxo - Florida - Vigo.
Identification in the schedules: Bayonne (tour of O Rosal) or Bayonne - O Rosal .

Camposancos - A Guarda - Sanxian - Oia - Viladesuso - Mougás - Mariñas - Rocamar - Baiona - Sabarís - Ramallosa - Mallón - Nigrán - Priegue - Saians - San Miguel de Oia - Roteas - Coruxo - San Andrés - Caramuxo - Florida - Vigo.
Identification in the schedules: Bayonne (route through Camposancos)
Thanks so much.
I saw those itineraries but wasn't totally sure they meant what I though, so it's great to have confirmation. It would be lovely to take the bus on the coastal route while we are not able to walk it this year.
I will try and contact ATSA for more information.
Sheena

stevov

Camino(s) past & future

Barbara06

Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy - Pamplona (2011-14)
VDLP (2015)
Portuguese (2015)
Francigena (2016)
Primitivo (2017)
Hi Sheena

I will be on the Camino Portuguese in October/November this year starting in Lisbon and walking the main route to Porto then the coastal route to Caminha, a ferry to A Guarda then continuing along the coastal route through Mougas, Baiona and Vigo to rejoin the main route at Redondela. Then walk to Pontevedra where I will go west to the coast on the Variante Espiritual which rejoins the main route at Padron for the final day to Santiago.

Buen Camino

Mike
Hello Mike,
Did you finally do this camino as you describe it above ? It is exactly what I would like to do in February.
Do you have any tips or suggestions from your experience ? (hostels to stay in or not,.. boats schedules,.. etc..).
Thanks
Barbara

Sheena

Camino(s) past & future
Hello Mike,
Did you finally do this camino as you describe it above ? It is exactly what I would like to do in February.
Do you have any tips or suggestions from your experience ? (hostels to stay in or not,.. boats schedules,.. etc..).
Thanks
Barbara
Good afternoon Barbara.
We are due to set foot in Portugal this May!
Flights booked!
Accommodation reserved!
Due to an unexpected family event, my husband and I will not have the time to walk as far as Redondela. We will now be traveling home from Vigo with the rest of our friends.

Our itinerary will therefore be as follows -
Day 1. Porto – Matoshinos (Hotel Porto Mar) – 12kms

Day 2. Matoshinos – Vila Cha/Angeiras (Campismo Orbitur Angeiras) - 10kms

Day 3. Vila Cha – Povoa de Varzim (Grande Hotel) – 15kms

Day 4. P do V – Estella/Criaz(Hotel Contriz) – 15kms

Day 5. Estella – Esposende (Soave Mar)- 12kms

Day 6. Esposende – O. Castelo do Neiva (Qunita do Monteverde) - 13kms
This is a special treat!

Day 7. C do N – Viana do Castelo (Hotel Laranjeira) – 12kms

Day 8. V do C – Vila Praia de Ancora(Hotel Meira) – 18kms.

Day 9. VP do A – Caminha – 6kms, then take the ferry across river.
This ferry doesn't sail on Mondays or at low tides, so you have to plan carefully!
Continue to walk around the headland to A Guarda – distance here depends on route taken.
There is a shorter more direct route cutting across the headland.
Staying at the Hotel Eli Mar for two nights.

Day 10. Day free to explore Santa de Tecla and the mountain.

Day 11. A Guarda – Vigo by bus.
We're still exploring the available bus routes.
Staying for a very special early birthday treat at the NH Collection, Vigo for two nights.

Day 12. Free to explore Vigo.

Are you still planning the same Camino for February Barbara?
How's your planning going?

There are so many people who just go on a Camino with no planning what-so-ever and have a wonderful experience.

We only plan this way because there are a group of us and we're not as flexible or able to walk longer distances as the youngsters!

I'm looking forward to hearing what you decide to do!
Bom Caminho / Buen Camino!
Sheena

Barbara06

Camino(s) past & future
VDLP (2015)
Portuguese (2015)
Francigena (2016)
Primitivo (2017)
Thank you Sheena for your detailed message !
Yes I am still planning to do this Camino in February. I never book my reservations in advance but I sort of have a guideline plan and then just go as it comes. I usually get there by bus from my home town.
My guideline plan is very different to yours, here is what it looks like :
day 1 : Porto (Albergue de peregrinos. Nossa Senhora de Rosário de Vilar)
day 2 : Vila de Conde (Albergue de Santa Clara)
day 3 : Marinhas (just after Esposende) (Albergue de São Miguel)
day 4 : Carreço (just after Viana do Castelo) (Albergue Casa do Sardão)
day 5 : A Guarda (Albergue Peregrinos municipal)
day 6 : Mougas (Albergue Turístico Aguncheiro)
day 7 : Ramallosa (Pazo Pías) or Vigo (find a hostel..)
day 8 : Redondela (Albergue de peregrinos Casa da Torre)
day 9 : Pontevedra (Albergue de peregrinos de Pontevedra)
day 10 : Monasterio Armentiera (Albergue municipal de Armentiera)
day 11 : Villanova de Arosa (Albergue municipal de Villanova de Arosa)
day 12 : Pontecesures or Padron (by boat, foot or train...)
day 13 : Santiago ..
Have a nice Camino Sheena !
Barbara

Spduncan

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese Coastal (May 2018)
I have a pretty similar to Barbara06, but I have also decided not to book accommodations. I am counting on my future Camino family to help me decide if I want to cross over to the central route part of the way through. I have gathered that that is a fairly common thing to do on the Portuguese.

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF011, CF012, CP013, CF014, CA015, S.Anton015, CF015, CI015
Ditch Pig016, CF017, CP017, CdN(018)
It was a lovely walk last year in July and the accommodations were easy to come by. My only hiccup was a beer festival in Caminha which meant the ferry worked on Sunday to bring festival goers there but did not work on Monday.

Ian76

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese Coastal way (Porto-Santiago) may 2018

Hi, do you mean may 2018? i am also panning myself to do the portuguese coastal way.... Its my 1st experience and I would love to meet and join a group if it s possible.
Cheerts from Switzerland, IG

Hi, do you mean may 2018? i am also panning myself to do the portuguese coastal way.... It will be my 1st experience and I would love to meet and join a group, if it s possible.
Cheers from Switzerland, Ian

Sheena

Camino(s) past & future
Hi, do you mean may 2018? i am also panning myself to do the portuguese coastal way.... Its my 1st experience and I would love to meet and join a group if it s possible.
Cheerts from Switzerland, IG

Hi, do you mean may 2018? i am also panning myself to do the portuguese coastal way.... It will be my 1st experience and I would love to meet and join a group, if it s possible.
Cheers from Switzerland, Ian
Good morning Ian.
Welcome to the forum!

Yes, my friends and I will be walking the Senda Littoral THIS May.
Setting off from Porto along the River Douro.

When do you think you will be arriving in Porto?
Sheena

Ian76

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese Coastal way (Porto-Santiago) may 2018
Good morning Ian.
Welcome to the forum!

Yes, my friends and I will be walking the Senda Littoral THIS May.
Setting off from Porto along the River Douro.

When do you think you will be arriving in Porto?
Sheena
Thank you for answering me! I have flight ticket Geneva - Lisbon on saturday 4th may so on sunday i could be at Porto. And you guys?
IG

Sheena

Camino(s) past & future
Hi Ian.
I think you will be well ahead of us as we only begin walking on the 15th May.
Bom Caminho anyway.
Sheena

VictorE

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francis twice
This is very helpful . I did the interior route and am now planning the coastal. do you have a map recommendation? Vic

stevov

Camino(s) past & future
I referred to the Brierley Guide off and on and found i wandered a bit which wasnt a problem but there is better detail on Luis Freixos site at http://www.caminador.es and Martin Flannery has recently posted an excellent map on his Facebook page. Hope that helps. Ultreia!

LouiseW

Camino(s) past & future
2016 Camino Frances from Burgos to Santiago dC from May first until 5th of June
2017 Camino Frances from St. Jean PdP to Burgos in September
Thank you Sheena for your detailed message !
Yes I am still planning to do this Camino in February. I never book my reservations in advance but I sort of have a guideline plan and then just go as it comes. I usually get there by bus from my home town.
My guideline plan is very different to yours, here is what it looks like :
day 1 : Porto (Albergue de peregrinos. Nossa Senhora de Rosário de Vilar)
day 2 : Vila de Conde (Albergue de Santa Clara)
day 3 : Marinhas (just after Esposende) (Albergue de São Miguel)
day 4 : Carreço (just after Viana do Castelo) (Albergue Casa do Sardão)
day 5 : A Guarda (Albergue Peregrinos municipal)
day 6 : Mougas (Albergue Turístico Aguncheiro)
day 7 : Ramallosa (Pazo Pías) or Vigo (find a hostel..)
day 8 : Redondela (Albergue de peregrinos Casa da Torre)
day 9 : Pontevedra (Albergue de peregrinos de Pontevedra)
day 10 : Monasterio Armentiera (Albergue municipal de Armentiera)
day 11 : Villanova de Arosa (Albergue municipal de Villanova de Arosa)
day 12 : Pontecesures or Padron (by boat, foot or train...)
day 13 : Santiago ..
Have a nice Camino Sheena !
Barbara
Hi Barbara,
I'would like to know or you were satisfied by this scheme and if it was easy to find your way. Is the coastal route well marked? I suppose it was easy to find sleeping places in January?
I'm planning for next year (may) and walked Camino Frances before. Far to busy by now.

Barbara06

Camino(s) past & future
VDLP (2015)
Portuguese (2015)
Francigena (2016)
Primitivo (2017)
Hi Barbara,
I'would like to know or you were satisfied by this scheme and if it was easy to find your way. Is the coastal route well marked? I suppose it was easy to find sleeping places in January?
I'm planning for next year (may) and walked Camino Frances before. Far to busy by now.
Hello Louise,
Yes I was satisfied, but didn't do exactly as written, it was just a guideline : day 1, I stayed at Matosinhos and not at Porto, and I never got to Vilanova de Arosa because it was raining very hard that day and the way was flodded. Yes very easy to find my way, well marked and easy to find sleeping places in February.

LouiseW

Camino(s) past & future
2016 Camino Frances from Burgos to Santiago dC from May first until 5th of June
2017 Camino Frances from St. Jean PdP to Burgos in September
Hello Louise,
Yes I was satisfied, but didn't do exactly as written, it was just a guideline : day 1, I stayed at Matosinhos and not at Porto, and I never got to Vilanova de Arosa because it was raining very hard that day and the way was flodded. Yes very easy to find my way, well marked and easy to find sleeping places in February.
Thanks for your reply Barbara!!

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francais 2014
Camino Portuguese 2016
Hi Sheena

Buen Camino

Mike
Mike, Try the lobster in A Guarda. It was terrific.

Camino(s) past & future
November, 2018
Hi Sheena

Buen Camino

Mike

Hi Mike, how was your camino last year? Did you end up doing it in Oct/Nov, as you planned? Was there a ferry from Caminha to A Guarda? Thank you!

Evelina

Last edited:

Devon Mike

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Finisterre & Muxia (2014, 2015, 2016 & 2018), Primitivo & Ingles (2017)
Hi Evelina, my plan was to walk the Primitivo from Oviedo, then a bus to Ferrol to walk the Ingles and finally a bus to Lisbon to walk the Portuguese. Unfortunately due to a medical problem, I had to just walk the Primitivo and the Ingles, so now plan to walk the Portuguese next year.

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 22 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 76 16.0%
  • May

Votes: 131 27.6%
  • June