• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portuguese Coastal Camino: Where are the guidebooks?

peterot

Hi. We're walking from Vila Do Conde to Santiago in June. Can anyone suggest a decent detailed guide to the route? Having done the Frances, I am spoiled with the Brierley guide - I know there is a Portuguese Way version he has produced but it only takes a few pages at the end to cover the coastal route. All suggestions welcome - thanks!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I've heard some good things about The Portuguese Way To Santiago de Compostela - MY WAY by Sergio Fonseca

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Johnnie Walker's guide has some info, too, I believe. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...rto-to-santiago-2017.124/download?version=411

And there's a map on this website showing you the many possible combinations of Central Route plus Coastal Route.

http://www.caminador.es/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/1a-preambulo-corregido-04012011.pdf

Which way are you thinking of walking?
Thanks very much! I'll check those out. We are aiming to hug the coast from Vila do Conde as far as Vigo. To be honest, I had originally thought there was just one route. Its become a little more complex now it seems - so I think we are going to be walking the "Senda Litoral" rather than the Caminho Coastal proper. From Vigo we head inland to eventually rejoining the traditional route at Pontevedra.

Hi there, we are planning on doing the Portuguese camino from Porto to Santiago and are undecided as to which route to take. Coastal or interior. We prefer less highways and roads and more gravel and path. Historical and scenery. Any suggestions or tips would be great !!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi. We're walking from Vila Do Conde to Santiago in June. Can anyone suggest a decent detailed guide to the route? Having done the Frances, I am spoiled with the Brierley guide - I know there is a Portuguese Way version he has produced but it only takes a few pages at the end to cover the coastal route. All suggestions welcome - thanks!

There is a guide book from Sérgio Fonseca. Price is 12 € + 2 € or a bit more shipping cost:

http://www.fromportugal.com/en/book...ortuguese-way-santiago-compostela-my-way.html

It´s also sold on Amazon UK

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi We are on the Camino and wanted to warn our fellow travellers to stay away from O MUINO camping/ bungalow Park. They have signs on the road from Mougas saying pilgrim breakfast available...
Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hello fellow Pilgrims☺️ I am planning to do the my first Caminho ( Portugese coastal route) in September. I have been reading in various posts that you can ask for a pilgrim’s discount for...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back