• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portuguese Coastal Camino

Peter Ray

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino 2017
My wife and I are thinking about biking the Portuguese Coastal Camino, spring 2017. I purchased John Brierley's book which is a start and I have been watching YouTube videos as well. It seems to me that the route ( Porto to Santiago ) is not that bike friendly and I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.
From what I have seen on videos, the wooden side-walks look fine,but the trails are narrow, somewhat overgrown and rocky. On one time lapse video on YouTube there seems to be a lot of busy road biking.
I would be grateful for any advice on this...thanks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi: When I walked the Coastal Way in July, I was not looking at it from a biking perspective, but I do remember thinking that about 75% of it would have been on boardwalk, cobbles or pavement. The cobbles in Portugal might make for a bumpy ride, but it would be doable. There was one section, on the way into Baiona, where we stuck to the main road along the ocean, but there was a fairly wide bicycle/pedestrian path that made for a pleasant walk. When we got into Spain we repeatedly saw an extended family walking the route with two physically impaired members that were non-walkers. The non-walkers were in a one-wheeled device that could be pushed from the rear and pulled from the front. It was truly inspiring to see the love and caring within the family. If they could get up and down the trails, I believe you could do most of it on a bicycle.

Hi: When I walked the Coastal Way in July, I was not looking at it from a biking perspective, but I do remember thinking that about 75% of it would have been on boardwalk, cobbles or pavement. The cobbles in Portugal might make for a bumpy ride, but it would be doable. There was one section, on the way into Baiona, where we stuck to the main road along the ocean, but there was a fairly wide bicycle/pedestrian path that made for a pleasant walk. When we got into Spain we repeatedly saw an extended family walking the route with two physically impaired members that were non-walkers. The non-walkers were in a one-wheeled device that could be pushed from the rear and pulled from the front. It was truly inspiring to see the love and caring within the family. If they could get up and down the trails, I believe you could do most of it on a bicycle.
Thank-you for getting back to me so soon. When you say cobbles or pavement, are these roads, paths or sidewalks ? Get back to me when you can...thanks again.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi: I hope my comment above does not dissuade anyone from walking this route. It is a great walk. The vast majority of the cobbles and pavement are on small, local roads. There are a few reasonably short sections on busier roads, but nothing that was a problem.

Hi: I hope my comment above does not dissuade anyone from walking this route. It is a great walk. The vast majority of the cobbles and pavement are on small, local roads. There are a few reasonably short sections on busier roads, but nothing that was a problem.
Thank-you Doogman,,,,you did not dissuade me in fact you have now encouraged me to reconsider the Camino Coastal. I watched a very recent Youtube video by a Rodrigo F....a bike time lapse....and it appeared they spent a great deal of time on busy roads...made me and my wife go WOW little crazy for us. We began thinking about Leon to Santiago. Anyway thanks again for your insights and helpfulness. Ciao.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back