• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portuguese Coastal Route - Mountain or Touring bike

daniel colombo

Time of past OR future Camino
POrtugues (2018)
Dear all,

I should cycle the Portuguese Coastal Route starting from Coimbra in April. I was wondering whether it would be better to use a Mountain or a touring bike. Can anyone who knows this path share any thoughts on the issue?

Thanks,
Daniel

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would recommend a touring bike but be aware the boardwalks are narrow and there is lots of cobblestone paving.

I've never done this route. But for many years, I was an avid cycle tourist. I spent six months riding around Europe when I was in my early twenties, and more short trips than I could count. I've toured on touring bikes (Mercian King of Mercia, Dawes Galaxy) and various old mountain bikes.

It really comes down to the distance you're planning to travel per day, and whether or not you have company. When I've toured with mountain bikes, the daily distances were lower, but I had fewer punctures and roadside repairs (tyres should wear out faster on an MTB, but in practice that's never been an issue because I rode with good tyres. Also, a mountain bike (at least the kind that works best for touring) has the advantage that it fits into the environment and attracts less attention, as the best ones are now quite old.

If your friends want to ride a touring bike, you should have one too. You will have to work harder to cover the same distances, which is no fun.

On reflection, I would stick with the MTB, and keep my daily distances lower. Give yourself time to stop and explore. Don't go clipless, platform pedals and walking shoes or Teva sandals are better for walking around. Buy an old, steel framed bike in good condition, and build strong wheels for it. Oh, and buy a Brooks saddle. And spend the money you save on more travel time! You will thank me later. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I thank you both for your valuable thoughts. I'm renting the bike for me and my friend, so there's no problem with that. We should be cycling around 40km per day, so not really a challenge.

But I guess the touring bikes would give us some extra time to enjoy the cities and villages.

See you at the Camino, guys!

I cycled this route 2016 and this year late august20160825_172241.jpg with a MTB hardtail

DSC00740a.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

I have walked several caminos since 2013 and am hoping to experience the Primitivo in September. Recently I have developed a nasty intermittent pain in the ball of my feet, especially the left...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back