• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portuguese Coastal - route ok?

Ann-MarieG

Time of past OR future Camino
March 2018
Hi, Myself and some friends are planning on doing the first part of the Portuguese Coastal route next June and then I will continue onto Santiago with my husband for the second stage. I wonder does this itinerary look ok?

Walking day 1 Porto - Povoa de Varzim,
Day 2 PdV - Esposende,
Day 3 Esposende - Viano Do Castelo,
Day 4 V do C - Vila Praia de Ancora,
Day 5 V P de A to Oia,
Day 6 Oia - Baoina

Day 7 Baoina - Vigo
Day 8 Vigo - Redondela
Day 9 Redondela - Ponteveda
Day 10 Ponteveda - Caldas de Reis
Day 11 C De R - Padron
Day 12 Padron - Santiago

I think I'd like to make day 11 a bit longer to shorten the last day into Santiago - any advice?

Thanks in advance for any help
Ann-Marie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Exactly what we did in 2016 except we stopped in Caminha rather than Vila Praia de Ancora to balance the sections. Started at Matosinos rather than the city centre of Porto (you catch a Metro to Matosinhos Mercado).

All went well but hated Vigo, big, smell port.

The walk from Padron is a bit of a slog but it was 31deg the day we did it - I'm sure you'll manage!

BTW it's Baiona not Baoina - not being picky but if you get the wrong spelling locked in your head . . . I still have problems with Betzanos! ;)

Good luck!

Greetings.
Your itinerary is pretty much what we did. In answer to your question, we pushed on about 5.5 km past Padron to the town of A Esclavitude and stayed at the hotel called Casa Grande de Capellanio. It was lovely, and cost about 40 Euro for a private room and bathroom. They offered breakfast and laundry service. There was an old church next door and a fantastic restaurant (Casa Eduardo) across the street.

Bom Caminho!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It looks fine. I did it as a ten-day trip, with legs as follows:-

1. Vila do Conde
2. Esposende
3. Carreço
4. A Guarda
5. Baiona
6. Vigo
7. Pontevedra
8. Caldas de Reis
9. A Escravitude
10. SdC

All were pretty easy legs, with very little climbing involved; only the first day was much past 30 km, and even then along unchallenging terrain. VdC, Esposende and Pontevedra are most attractive night-stops. I found Baiona a little too touristy, and would try not to stay there again given my druthers. Vigo is best seen from a distance. The little fishing village of Oia is charming but tiny. If you're staying at A Escravitude or the vicinity, bring your own eats: the only place I found open at seven in the evening was the petrol station, which had a tiny but adequate grocery attached.

Bear in mind that although albergue accommodation on this route is adequate, you'll rarely have a wide selection from which to choose—or, in some places, any choice at all. I found the overall standard to be lower than on better-travelled caminos, and the prices higher. And in the summertime, when you're going, the cost of private accommodation in hotels or pensions is likely to be prohibitive, Vigo alone excepted. Losing the bed-race may well have expensive consequences.

My two cents worth is be aware that it can be very hot and humid in June, then again it might be cool and dry. But if the former long days can really sap your strength and take the fun out of it. I would consider having a rest day in there somewhere which you might well be plannng given you are losing some of your companions part way through. There are no prizes for rushing and a lit to be said for slowing down and really taking in the experience

Exactly what we did in 2016 except we stopped in Caminha rather than Vila Praia de Ancora to balance the sections. Started at Matosinos rather than the city centre of Porto (you catch a Metro to Matosinhos Mercado).

All went well but hated Vigo, big, smell port.

The walk from Padron is a bit of a slog but it was 31deg the day we did it - I'm sure you'll manage!

BTW it's Baiona not Baoina - not being picky but if you get the wrong spelling locked in your head . . . I still have problems with Betzanos! ;)

Good luck!
Why skip the walk out of Porto? It was lovely.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Why skip the walk out of Porto? It was lovely.
Had been on the double decker tourist bus the day before and didn't really fancy a two hour trudge through a major urban area first thing in the morning! I don't like Burgos or Vigo either!

Hello there! This is the first time that I'll be doing a multi-say solo walk. I would love any advice and suggestions. I am doing the Camino Senda Litoral starting on May 20th. I am planning to start at Caminha, Oia, Baiona, Vigo, Redondela, Pontevedra, Caldas Reis, Padron, Santiago. Any suggestions in places to stay with private room and bathroom? Luggage transfers?

Skip Vigo. Bus from Baiona. Then second bus from Vigo bus station out of town or as far as Redondela.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I thought that in order to get the last 100 km to get the Compostela, you needed to start from Vigo! No?

Where is most northern part of porto can you start the camino and get a stamp to say you started their and eat?
And what is best on a bike inland or coastal?
Which has more history?
And finish in Santiago de compostela
How long ? Im thinking 8 riding days as i want to enjoy the trip

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back