• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portuguese coastal route safe going solo?

Olivia2012

Hi im thinking about doing the camino Portuguese coastal route end sept this year. Just wondering how safe it is for a solo female woman? Ive done the camino frances and was never on my own. Is the Portuguese coastal way very popular?
Thanks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked the coastal alone last fall and not once did I feel unsafe. I saw on average 12-15 pilgrims a day for the first week and once the routes merged the number of pilgrims increased significantly. I’m so glad I chose the route I did.

I'm also doing the coastal route, solo, end of September. Perhaps we'll see each other.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi im thinking about doing the camino Portuguese coastal route end sept this year. Just wondering how safe it is for a solo female woman? Ive done the camino frances and was never on my own. Is the Portuguese coastal way very popular?
Thanks

I am also walking solo in September, deciding on either the Portuguese interior or central. Maybe we will all meet up along the way! Bom caminho

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Check out "Adventures with Amie" on YT. She is on day 9 of vlogging her solo Portuguese Camino. Not sure if she is on the coastal of interior.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked the coastal alone last fall and not once did I feel unsafe. I saw on average 12-15 pilgrims a day for the first week and once the routes merged the number of pilgrims increased significantly. I’m so glad I chose the route I did.

I am planning to walk this route in June, solo woman. Can you provide me with your 3 best pieces of advice as I plan for this trip. (packing, foot care, etc)

I walked it solo in three weeks of rain, just Incase you never walked along the Atlantic, it can be pretty stormy. Just gorgeous.
Walked in shoes.
Cash on you.
Ocean to the left and land to the right and you going the right direction.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I always felt safe...but I did encounter a flasher who yelled at me and then followed for awhile. While this has unfortunately also happened at home, it was harder on the CP. After 30+ km in 30C+ I had very little left to hobble quickly away. This also occurred to a fellow peregrina and the hospitalera insisted we report it. The officer came to the alburgue and took a description. My opinion? The CP IS SAFE. Unfortunately this can happen anywhere. With less traffic than the CdF there are more chances for a misogynistic jerk to find you solo.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back