A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Portuguese Coastal Way - Porto to Santiago

Camino(s) past & future
Plan to walk September 2018
My partner and I are planning our first Camino in September 2019...… super excited. Would it be ok to wing it with accommodation and book along the way? I am really not sure how we will do with the walking so want to just stay over when we have done our day quota...…? but with not too much pressure. Any and all advice welcome as I will be asking LOADS of questions...…. 🆒

KariC

Camino(s) past & future
Caminho portugûes (2016)
The crowds drop off during September - when I did it, starting in mid-September, I only felt the need to book ahead once I was almost to Santiago - the last night out and in Santiago. Staying flexible is a good thing.

KJFSophie

My Way, With Joy !
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2014 & 2015 ),Via San Francesco, Italy (2017 )Camino Portugese (2018 )Camino Ingles(
I don't think you can predict year to year or even week to week activity on any camino. The previous poster states 'the crowds drop off during September", however, I walked this past Sept 2018 and it was very very busy. There were a few days where alburgues, both municipal and private, were filled early in the afternoon and were turning pilgrims away. It was hot last year and I was starting my days' walk early in the dark mornings and finishing by 2:00pm...places were full. I was glad I had made reservations ahead as there seem to be fewer accommodations on his route. ( I was traveling with a tumor in my knee, so could not risk having to walk any extra on any given day ) The alburgue owners felt badly having to turn walkers away and said they had been seeing an increase in September. Staying flexible, grabbing a bed early to secure one or planning to walk much further ahead are options...as is taking a taxi to lodging then back to resume walking...good luck!

Camino(s) past & future
Plan to walk September 2018
I don't think you can predict year to year or even week to week activity on any camino. The previous poster states 'the crowds drop off during September", however, I walked this past Sept 2018 and it was very very busy. There were a few days where alburgues, both municipal and private, were filled early in the afternoon and were turning pilgrims away. It was hot last year and I was starting my days' walk early in the dark mornings and finishing by 2:00pm...places were full. I was glad I had made reservations ahead as there seem to be fewer accommodations on his route. ( I was traveling with a tumor in my knee, so could not risk having to walk any extra on any given day ) The alburgue owners felt badly having to turn walkers away and said they had been seeing an increase in September. Staying flexible, grabbing a bed early to secure one or planning to walk much further ahead are options...as is taking a taxi to lodging then back to resume walking...good luck!
thanks so much for your feedback - we will see how it goes. Would booking a day or two in advance work better then?

KJFSophie

My Way, With Joy !
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2014 & 2015 ),Via San Francesco, Italy (2017 )Camino Portugese (2018 )Camino Ingles(
One thing to keep in mind is that along the ocean is not only a camino walk but still very much a vacation destination for Portuguese/Europeans, even in September. Fewer alburgues mean pilgrims are having to find accommodations elsewhere, and even those are filled, especially on weekends ( which sometimes require three day stays ) I would call two days ahead to be safe and allow more options for planning. It will all work out...just be a bit forward thinking :)

KariC

Camino(s) past & future
Caminho portugûes (2016)
No disagreement, KJFSophhie - perhaps folks are figuring out September at least used to be quieter and temperature-wise is a good time to go, but I think it's always going to be true that the later in the season one goes, the lighter the crowds. A 9/5 starter and a 9/25 starter would have different experiences. You could certainly start out without booking, and if that seems problematic start booking in advance. Or vice versa; book a couple of nights out, and if you see it wasn't necessary, stop booking in advance. Bom caminho!

Harlan Sager

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2015
Camino Portugal 2016 and on to Finisterre
My partner and I are planning our first Camino in September 2019...… super excited. Would it be ok to wing it with accommodation and book along the way? I am really not sure how we will do with the walking so want to just stay over when we have done our day quota...…? but with not too much pressure. Any and all advice welcome as I will be asking LOADS of questions...…. 🆒
Walked from Lisbon to Porto then coastal route to Santiago. Booked all accommodations in advance so we could use luggage transfer service.

Walking Lover

Camino(s) past & future
CdS from Leon to Santiago, June 16, 2016 to June 30, 2016.
Yes, you can wing it. We did in '17.

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 142 14.9%
  • May

Votes: 236 24.8%