• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portuguese Coastal Way - Porto to Santiago

BunduGirl

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk September 2018
My partner and I are planning our first Camino in September 2019...… super excited. Would it be ok to wing it with accommodation and book along the way? I am really not sure how we will do with the walking so want to just stay over when we have done our day quota...…? but with not too much pressure. Any and all advice welcome as I will be asking LOADS of questions...…. 🆒

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The crowds drop off during September - when I did it, starting in mid-September, I only felt the need to book ahead once I was almost to Santiago - the last night out and in Santiago. Staying flexible is a good thing.

I don't think you can predict year to year or even week to week activity on any camino. The previous poster states 'the crowds drop off during September", however, I walked this past Sept 2018 and it was very very busy. There were a few days where alburgues, both municipal and private, were filled early in the afternoon and were turning pilgrims away. It was hot last year and I was starting my days' walk early in the dark mornings and finishing by 2:00pm...places were full. I was glad I had made reservations ahead as there seem to be fewer accommodations on his route. ( I was traveling with a tumor in my knee, so could not risk having to walk any extra on any given day ) The alburgue owners felt badly having to turn walkers away and said they had been seeing an increase in September. Staying flexible, grabbing a bed early to secure one or planning to walk much further ahead are options...as is taking a taxi to lodging then back to resume walking...good luck!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I don't think you can predict year to year or even week to week activity on any camino. The previous poster states 'the crowds drop off during September", however, I walked this past Sept 2018 and it was very very busy. There were a few days where alburgues, both municipal and private, were filled early in the afternoon and were turning pilgrims away. It was hot last year and I was starting my days' walk early in the dark mornings and finishing by 2:00pm...places were full. I was glad I had made reservations ahead as there seem to be fewer accommodations on his route. ( I was traveling with a tumor in my knee, so could not risk having to walk any extra on any given day ) The alburgue owners felt badly having to turn walkers away and said they had been seeing an increase in September. Staying flexible, grabbing a bed early to secure one or planning to walk much further ahead are options...as is taking a taxi to lodging then back to resume walking...good luck!

thanks so much for your feedback - we will see how it goes. Would booking a day or two in advance work better then?

One thing to keep in mind is that along the ocean is not only a camino walk but still very much a vacation destination for Portuguese/Europeans, even in September. Fewer alburgues mean pilgrims are having to find accommodations elsewhere, and even those are filled, especially on weekends ( which sometimes require three day stays ) I would call two days ahead to be safe and allow more options for planning. It will all work out...just be a bit forward thinking :)

No disagreement, KJFSophhie - perhaps folks are figuring out September at least used to be quieter and temperature-wise is a good time to go, but I think it's always going to be true that the later in the season one goes, the lighter the crowds. A 9/5 starter and a 9/25 starter would have different experiences. You could certainly start out without booking, and if that seems problematic start booking in advance. Or vice versa; book a couple of nights out, and if you see it wasn't necessary, stop booking in advance. Bom caminho!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My partner and I are planning our first Camino in September 2019...… super excited. Would it be ok to wing it with accommodation and book along the way? I am really not sure how we will do with the walking so want to just stay over when we have done our day quota...…? but with not too much pressure. Any and all advice welcome as I will be asking LOADS of questions...…. 🆒
Walked from Lisbon to Porto then coastal route to Santiago. Booked all accommodations in advance so we could use luggage transfer service.

Yes, you can wing it. We did in '17.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Walked from Lisbon to Porto then coastal route to Santiago. Booked all accommodations in advance so we could use luggage transfer service.
On coastal route now and having issues with Tuitran transferring my pack. Seems they will not pick up from some hostels or pensions if they do not have full time reception. Also quoted 7E then changed it to 8E.

We used Tuitrans but not until after Porrino. One day we didn't have a reservation but sent our big bag to hotel aveninda Pontevedra. It was there ready and waiting. We had planned to stay at the municipal Albergue but in the end we were tired and happily crashed out in a three bed, en suite room at the Avenida. Pure bliss! (Especially after our previous night!)
5€ a bag on Tuitrans. I mostly booked bag transfer on line and they confirmed, and we never had a problem.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If starting in last week in May from Porto - is it best to start during the week or weekend - does it matter? First stop would be Matosinhos.

Most read last week in this forum

Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...
Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back