A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Portuguese Credential Has ARRIVED!!!

peregrina2000

Staff member
After many years of waiting, the Via Lusitana has issued its own credential. It can be used by anyone on any Camino, but I know it will be welcomed by many peregrinos who are walking the Portugues. The credential has been approved by the Cathedral. Some have pictures of the Santiago cathedral (as this one), some have pictures of the Porto Cathedral, and still others of the Lisbon cathedral. Great news! It will take a while for them to make their way to the Cathedral of Lisbon, but they are coming soon.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
SJPDP-Finisterre X 2 - 2016 & 2017, El Norte - Irun to Vilalba 2018
I like it! I don't suppose that it can be ordered ahead?

Last edited:

PK Smit

Camino(s) past & future
(015)Irun to Santiago
(017)Lisboa to S
2018Caminha to Santiago
(2018) Camino English Ferrol Santiago
I will deffinately pic mine up in Porto, April this year. Thanks for informing us

Elle Bieling

Elle Bieling, PilgrimageTraveler
Camino(s) past & future
Inglés, '14 '17 Finisterre, '14 '17 '18 Primitivo, '15 '18 Portuguese, '17, '18 San Salvador, '18
Ditto! Do you know when they might be available at the cathedral?

Albertinho

ninguém disse que era fácil !
Camino(s) past & future
2013 Lisboa - Sant.
2014 Ferrol -Sant.
2015 Porto -Sant.
2018 Porto -Valença
2019 Valença -Sant.
So is it for sure when we arrive in Porto that we can find this new credential for our journey?
No , from a Portuguese caminho friend ( who is well informed) I heard the Vialusitana has a stock of the "old" Spanish type"credential. When they will be sold out ,they will issue the Portuguese type credential

sopranocorry

Camino(s) past & future
CP 2019
After many years of waiting, the Via Lusitana has issued its own credential. It can be used by anyone on any Camino, but I know it will be welcomed by many peregrinos who are walking the Portugues. The credential has been approved by the Cathedral. Some have pictures of the Santiago cathedral (as this one), some have pictures of the Porto Cathedral, and still others of the Lisbon cathedral. Great news! It will take a while for them to make their way to the Cathedral of Lisbon, but they are coming soon.
View attachment 52049
Could someone please tell me a little mire about why thus credential is sought after? We will be at Porto Cathedral to start our journey on March 20, will it be available then, what us the cost and hiw is it different from the €2 standard one? Many thx for your response and buon Caminho

peregrina2000

Staff member
Could someone please tell me a little mire about why thus credential is sought after? We will be at Porto Cathedral to start our journey on March 20, will it be available then, what us the cost and hiw is it different from the €2 standard one? Many thx for your response and buon Caminho
Hi, sopranocorry,

I am guessing that by “standard one” you mean the one issued by the Santiago cathedral. There are many camino organizations around the world that issue their own credential, usually bought by people from that country who are going to walk. I get mine every year from the US group APOC. A few years back there was a big kerfuffle about “unofficial credentials” being issued by tour operators (who were making a lot of $$$ from the sales). The cathedral put a stop to that by saying it would only issue compostelas to people who arrived with approved credentials. Many of the national camino organizations got approval for their credentials. The Portugal amigos association designed their own credential and got the approval of the cathedral. Since several caminos goes through Portugal, a lot of peregrinos have been asking about a Portuguese credential, and it has finally arrived. It will serve exactly the same purpose as any other official credential, but I think it’s very pretty and can understand how people walking the Portugues might want to use it.

And here’s a link to a thread with pictures of the different ones out there. Collect them all!!!

sopranocorry

Camino(s) past & future
CP 2019
These different credentials are so cool! Thank you Ivar for providing this thread with the different pictures. We will be getting ours from the Porto cathedral, but will check about this new Portuguese one for availability. Once we complete CP from Porto and get to Santiago we are also planning in this trip to go to Finisterre. Would we then get a’new’ credential for this from Santiago de Compostela cathedral? Is there a requirement again for multiple stamps each day and another compostela either in Finisterre or back in Santiago? Thank you so much for your response. Sorry we are just new to this, and our departure from Porto on 20 March will be our very first camino.

JLuis

The new credencial from the Portuguese association Via Lusitana is now available at the Lisboa Cathedral.
Not at Porto Cathedral. Maybe if pilgrims keep asking them about this credential they will start to stock them. It's a decision that must be made by the Porto Cathedral, not from the Via Lusitana association.

JL

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Past: (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018)-Frances, Baztan, San Salvador, Primitivo, Fisterra,VdlP, Madrid
These different credentials are so cool! Thank you Ivar for providing this thread with the different pictures. We will be getting ours from the Porto cathedral, but will check about this new Portuguese one for availability. Once we complete CP from Porto and get to Santiago we are also planning in this trip to go to Finisterre. Would we then get a’new’ credential for this from Santiago de Compostela cathedral? Is there a requirement again for multiple stamps each day and another compostela either in Finisterre or back in Santiago? Thank you so much for your response. Sorry we are just new to this, and our departure from Porto on 20 March will be our very first camino.
You can use the same one.

jungleboy

Nick
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (Spring '17)
Primitivo (Spring '18)
Madrid (April '19)
I got the new credencial from the Lisbon cathedral today for my Camino de Madrid. It's nice to have a different one from my two previous caminos!

FLEUR

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2012 - 2016
Is there any way we can apply for the Portuguese credential by post? We hope to start walking from Porto in May. For other routes I've walked I had different credentials. It would be great if we could have the special Portuguese credentials.

FLEUR

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I read that credentials in Porto are now issued by an office opposite the cathedral. Is this correct? What are the opening hours and how late does the office stay open?

Albertinho

ninguém disse que era fácil !
Camino(s) past & future
2013 Lisboa - Sant.
2014 Ferrol -Sant.
2015 Porto -Sant.
2018 Porto -Valença
2019 Valença -Sant.
I read that credentials in Porto are now issued by an office opposite the cathedral. Is this correct? What are the opening hours and how late does the office stay open?
The office opposite the entrance of the cathedral is the tourist office

jungleboy

Nick
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (Spring '17)
Primitivo (Spring '18)
Madrid (April '19)
Is there any way we can apply for the Portuguese credential by post? We hope to start walking from Porto in May. For other routes I've walked I had different credentials. It would be great if we could have the special Portuguese credentials.
I would have been happy to buy them and send them to you but I only have a handful of days in Lisbon in the next two months and a lot of tasks to get through.

FLEUR

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I would have been happy to buy them and send them to you but I only have a handful of days in Lisbon in the next two months and a lot of tasks to get through.
If you had time that would be amazing but I appreciate you're busy.
Could you perhaps PM me with details if this is possible. Thanks in advance.

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 140 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 234 25.1%