• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portuguese in early March

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (July 2016), Primitivo (July 2018), Portuguese (March 2019)
Hi, I’d appreciate some advice re the Camino Portuguese. I’m flying with my wife and two friends to Porto on 12th March, leaving for Santiago the next morning. The flight home is booked for Saturday 23rd March which gives us 10 full days of walking. Depending on what one reads, the central route is around 240km while the coastal route is perhaps 30km further. Both are fine from a distance point of view but with no experience of the Portuguese I’m interested in people’s views on both routes. Having found deep snow and ice on O Cebreiro last April I’d also appreciate any thoughts re likely conditions on the Portuguese in March. Many thanks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, I’d appreciate some advice re the Camino Portuguese. I’m flying with my wife and two friends to Porto on 12th March, leaving for Santiago the next morning. The flight home is booked for Saturday 23rd March which gives us 10 full days of walking. Depending on what one reads, the central route is around 240km while the coastal route is perhaps 30km further. Both are fine from a distance point of view but with no experience of the Portuguese I’m interested in people’s views on both routes. Having found deep snow and ice on O Cebreiro last April I’d also appreciate any thoughts re likely conditions on the Portuguese in March. Many thanks

The highest point on the central Portuguese caminho is about 420 meters and the caminho Português central is situated relatively close by the Atlantic Ocean you probably will not face any snow. The snow appears more in the higher mountains situated at the north eastside of Portugal.
Be prepared for rain and wind The northern area is very green .

The coastal

Day 1 Porto to Angeiras 25 kms
2 Angeiras to Estela 20 kms
3 Estela to Esposende 21 kms
4 Esposende to Viana do Castelo 24 kms
5 Viana to Caminha 24 kms
6 Caminha to Santa Maria de Oia 21 kms
7 Oia to Ramalhosa 22 kms
8 Ramalhosa to Redondela 30 kms
9 Redondela to Pontevedra 20 kms
10 Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis 20 kms
11 Caldas to Padrón 20 kms
12 Padrón to Santiago 24kms

The central

1 Porto to Vairão. 20 kms
2 Vairão to São Pedro de Rates 15 kms
3 São Pedro to Barcelos 20 kms
4 Barcelos to Vitorino dos Piães 18 kms
5 Vitorino to Ponte de Lima 15 kms
6 Pde Lima to Rubiães 18 kms ( highest poit 420 mtrs)
7 Rubiães to Valença do Minho 20 kms
8 valença to O Porriño 22 kms
9 O Porriño to Redondela 20 kms
See above Redondela to Pontevedra

Advice ,take the train from Porto to Viana do Castelo and start walking from there along the coast
Or take the same train ,go out at the station of Barcelos and start walking from there on the central route.

It can be an easy 240 kms devided by 10 but so it does not work.
The 18 kms between Ponte de Lima and Rubiães is a lot of climbing on an off road path. You will be happy to be in Rubiães that day.
If you have rain or strong winds at the coast your pace will go down .

Passa bem e bom caminho

That sounds like very good advice. I tend to push ahead and walk longer distances but my friends are older and are likely to be happier walking less rather than more. I’d very much like them to make it comfortably to Santiago so I’ll take your advice re the train and we’ll either walk the coastal route from Viana do Castelo or the central route from Barcelos. Many thanks for your help.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Be prepared for sore feet and legs. We found walking on cobblestones, found during the first three legs of the central route, to be very difficult.

Buen Camino

Be prepared for sore feet and legs. We found walking on cobblestones, found during the first three legs of the central route, to be very difficult.

Buen Camino
From Viana do Castelo nor from Barcelos cobblestones are an issue .
The cobblestones are part of an antique Roman road .

Seashell be open and flexible to changing your planned itinerary based on the weather and, of course on how you or those in your group feel. Don't overdo it, public transportation is prevalent and if you have to move forward don't hesitate to use it! You'll be glad you did and everyone will appreciate it:)

I'll be following in your footsteps on the 16th:)

Ultreïa!

Mary

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back