• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portuguese or Frances?

LynneR

Time of past OR future Camino
CF '16, '18
Hello, after two partial CF trips (from Cebreiro in 2016, then from Burgos in 2018), I am considering a walk from Porto this summer. I would also walk to Finisterre then to Muxia since Porto is a shorter walk and I've never walked to those towns.

My questions for you experienced Camino walkers is if I will be disappointed by CP or is the new scenery worth the trip? New challenge, new towns? Or stick with what I already know that I love? My other option would be to do a longer CF, probably from France. I keep thinking that I've been through those towns twice now and I don't want them to lose the magic and charm I experienced in the past.

I read a couple comments about cobblestones and lack of scenery on CP. Is this so?? Someone even commented that it is a bit depressing. I certainly don't want to go all that way and be disappointed.

All I know is the Camino keeps calling me back....but which way?
Thank you,
Lynne

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I loved the CP and highly recommend the route.
Scenery is beautiful, food is amazing and there is a lot of History to explore.
It is surely very different from CF, but different in a good way. It is easy to fall in love with CF, but if you never try other routes, how will you know if CF "is really your thing" or if CF "is the thing you are not afraid anymore"?

Porto itself is a marvellous city - I recommend spending 2 days there before you start walking :)

I loved the CP and highly recommend the route.
Scenery is beautiful, food is amazing and there is a lot of History to explore.
It is surely very different from CF, but different in a good way. It is easy to fall in love with CF, but if you never try other routes, how will you know if CF "is really your thing" or if CF "is the thing you are not afraid anymore"?

Porto itself is a marvellous city - I recommend spending 2 days there before you start walking :)

Good advice. Thank you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello, after two partial CF trips (from Cebreiro in 2016, then from Burgos in 2018), I am considering a walk from Porto this summer. I would also walk to Finisterre then to Muxia since Porto is a shorter walk and I've never walked to those towns.

My questions for you experienced Camino walkers is if I will be disappointed by CP or is the new scenery worth the trip? New challenge, new towns? Or stick with what I already know that I love? My other option would be to do a longer CF, probably from France. I keep thinking that I've been through those towns twice now and I don't want them to lose the magic and charm I experienced in the past.

I read a couple comments about cobblestones and lack of scenery on CP. Is this so?? Someone even commented that it is a bit depressing. I certainly don't want to go all that way and be disappointed.

Thank you,
Lynne
There is no such thing as an ideal trail.
Ever. Anywhere.
You will always have to compromise on something, somewhere.
To know you love the CF, you had to get out there & give it a go.
How do you know you won't feel the same about another path unless you take the same chance?
A number of different people have responded to you & shared their experiences of the CP but we can't say what YOU will like or dislike. Only you can do that.
If think you already have your answer...so go with your instincts.
I wish you all the very best. 👣 🌏

Last edited:

Thank you,
Lynne

I'd go for the CP. If it doesn't meet your expectations you'll return to the CF with 'muchas ganas'.
and yes, there are some sections on the CP in galicia which don't exactly make the cut for outstanding beauty.
good luck and buen camino!

Thank you,
Lynne
82% is on the cobblestones or other hard surfaces; some is along highway with speeding cars. Glad to have done it once, but wouldn't again. I could do the F over and over again.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
82% is on the cobblestones or other hard surfaces; some is along highway with speeding cars. Glad to have done it once, but wouldn't again. I could do the F over and over again.

Hello-
In regards to your comment, did you walk the central route or the coastal route.
Thanks again!
Lynne

82% is on the cobblestones or other hard surfaces;

What a precise number!
So many people talk about the cobblestones... they are there, indeed, but I was probably one of the lucky one that never felt any trouble walking on them. Comfortable shoes were surely worth wearing :)

I walked Central in 2017, and would surely repeat the experience if the opportunity was there. It's just that i like to experience different trails, so I will go for other ones before i start repeating the ones I already know :)

I walked both the CF and the CP last year and noticed a huge difference..
The main thing was the CF being much longer gave a sense of detachment that the shorter CP couldn't offer.. after ten days on the CP I was still under halfway and it felt like an adventure.. the CP from Porto felt like 100km leaving Porto and 100km arriving at Santiago if that makes any sense?
I found the CF much more social too.. again maybe the extra time spent on CF brings people out of their shell more.. who knows?
That being said, I'm glad I did the CP. I enjoyed it, met some nice people, experienced my first francesinha saw some fantastic towns, villages, scenery.
The CP was a live changing adventure, the CP was an incredibly enjoyable walk..

And it only felt like 81% cobbles at most..
(To be honest it didn't feel anywhere near that.. I had no issues at all)

If I do two caminoes this year I'll do them both. If I only have time for one it will be the CF..

After rereading this post I notice how uselessly ambivalent it is.. however it took a while to type out so it's staying...
Wherever you go you'll have a fantastic walk.. why worry?
Buen Camino!!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Thank you,
Lynne
I've walked the Camino Frances from Roncesvalles to Finisterre and the Camino Portugues from Porto to Santiago. My motivations for walking the CP were: (a) time - it was about the right length for the time I had available, (b) I wanted to try a different Camino. I had two experiences on the CF and was looking to see what another was like, and (c) I had heard good reports of the CP as a nice Camino to walk.

I walked the first bit along the seashore but then headed inland and walked it mostly along the Central route. I wasn't disappointed by the route. It certainly wasn't as epic as the much longer CF, but I knew that going in and it was a factor of the time I had available.

On the CF you get this sense that you are part of a mighty flow of pilgrims that stretches back a thousand years. You pass through towns named after the Camino and through the stories of saints who were sainted for their work supporting the Camino. The CP also has a rich history of pilgrims dating back to the middle ages, but there is no question that they weren't in the same numbers as on the CF. On the other hand, you pass through Padron with its rich history and close association with St. James. You can see where he was preaching when he was alive and where the boat with his remains fetched up.

On both routes you walk through some forest, a lot of farmland and small towns and villages. If you are walking from Lisbon, you'll get some cities, too. One of the key differences between the two routes is apparent as soon as you enter Galicia. On the CF, when you head west into Galicia, you are walking through dairy country. On the CP, as you walk north into Galicia, you are walking through wine country. The smells and road conditions are different. :)

I found the CP did not have quite the same camaraderie of the CF but it’s beautiful and Porto is gorgeous. I walked the coastal route, and took the Senda Litoral at every opportunity especially as you leave Porto. It joins up with the central route partway. This route follows beautiful coastline and well recommended. There are also less cobblestones on the coastal route. Oh and the pastries are amazing!!

Thanks LynnneR for your question and,all, for your replies. I’m in the exact same position, walked CF in 2016 and 2018. I plan to walk again in 2019 and as much as I love CF feel I have to try CP.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I found the CP did not have quite the same camaraderie of the CF but it’s beautiful and Porto is gorgeous. I walked the coastal route, and took the Senda Litoral at every opportunity especially as you leave Porto. It joins up with the central route partway. This route follows beautiful coastline and well recommended. There are also less cobblestones on the coastal route. Oh and the pastries are amazing!!
Stacyv, what is "the Senda Litoral"
I plan to walk the Porto to SdC route in late August and need as much info as possible.
I will walk solo, female, 75y of age.
After this route I would like to walk to Finisterra and Muxia, then the Ingles from Ferrol.
I have 5 weeks walking time, is this possible, I am a slow stroller and plan to do no more than 20km per day.

Dear formysons,

The camino from Porto to Santiago is a lovely one, less cobblestones and greener.
Some stages are longer than your planned daily walking distance, but you can adjust them on the way.
Think a bit in advance; you can always call ahead for accommodation.
Late august will be a hot time for travelling at any age... sometimes too hot...
Don't leave Porto without a proper visit. Two days will do just fine. If you have three, go on a cruise on Douro.
Enjoy!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
CP or CF?

Short answer: Yes. (Also to France, BTW)

Seriously, though, they're both great. Cobblestones? Many fewer on the CP than the CF, IMO (but that may have been due to taking the coastal route). As noted above, there are sections where you're on narrow roads with no shoulders, but not that many.

The CF was our first, so it'll always be special, but we loved Portugal just as much for different reasons: Fewer people on the trail, great food, lovely scenery, among others.

If you do the CP and have the time, I strongly recommend including the Rota Vicentina. We started in Sagres and went north, others go in the opposite direction then take transportation up to Lisbon to begin the CP. If you're interested, you can check out some of my recent posts on it.

Enjoy!

Stacyv, what is "the Senda Litoral"
I plan to walk the Porto to SdC route in late August and need as much info as possible.
I will walk solo, female, 75y of age.
After this route I would like to walk to Finisterra and Muxia, then the Ingles from Ferrol.
I have 5 weeks walking time, is this possible, I am a slow stroller and plan to do no more than 20km per day.
Going north from Porto to Santiago there are four routes. From west to east they are:
  • the Senda Litoral. This is the one that hugs the coast. From Porto Cathedral you walk down to the river and along the river to the ocean. Then you walk north along the shore.
  • the Coastal. This one will often connect to the coast but doesn't walk right along it. For this one, you head north out of Porto instead of west and then gradually head over to the coast.
  • the Central. This is the oldest and most walked route.
  • the Interior. This is the easternmost route. It is the least walked route and is not covered in many of the printed guidebooks.

So the Senda Litoral is the route that, unlike the Coastal, actually walks right along the coast.

Going north from Porto to Santiago there are four routes. From west to east they are:
  • the Senda Litoral. This is the one that hugs the coast. From Porto Cathedral you walk down to the river and along the river to the ocean. Then you walk north along the shore.
  • the Coastal. This one will often connect to the coast but doesn't walk right along it. For this one, you head north out of Porto instead of west and then gradually head over to the coast.
  • the Central. This is the oldest and most walked route.
  • the Interior. This is the easternmost route. It is the least walked route and is not covered in many of the printed guidebooks.
So the Senda Litoral is the route that, unlike the Coastal, actually walks right along the coast.
One correction David The INTERIOR caminho Português does not start in Porto.
You have to go to Viseu to start and that is far away from Porto , situated in the east side of Portugal nearby the mountains of the Serra de Estrella. Viseu is a beautiful town btw.
It leads to the Portuguese -Spanish border to Chaves and to Ourense in Spain where it hits the Via de la Plata and continues on this camino to Santiago
Lot of people think the INTERIOR is the same as the CENTRAL caminho but both are totaly different.

Pega bem e bom caminho

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Thank you,
Lynne
Since you already have been on the CF for the last to years, I would try something different!
Last year my girlfriend and I walked the CF from SJPP+Muxia+Fisterra, so following my own advice, this summer we will do the CP Central from Lisbon.
From the little I know from Portugal, I'm sure we will not be disappointed!

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back