• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Portuguese or Norte in September?

ktanita

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2013)
Iwas planning to walk el Norte from Sept.7 for 2 weeks, but my Spanish friend who is walking with me says it's rainy and cold in September up in the North. I heard it's very hot this year in Spain. She suggests to take el Portugues but I am afraid it's much harder than el Norte in terms of finding accommodations between the long etapas. I would rather stick to el Norte, so please give me suggestions regarding the climate and any other hint to walk el Norte in September.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This post needs to be moved to the correct sub-forum.

I walked end of September into mid-October on the Norte and it was HOT. Perhaps unusual, but even with regular temps September will not be cold. It's all relative, and if your Spanish froend lives in the oven Extremadura is then ...

As for the Portuguese, assuming from Porto via the Central or Coastal, it is easy peasy, much flatter and easier than the Norte when it comes to huffing and puffing and super easy to find albergues. The Brierly guide does the job.

So, if you ask me: Norte all the way. I was really bored on the Central in Portugal. Camera hardly ever came out. The Norte, oh ... picturesque, food to die for, cities with a wealth of culture. A no brainer. You have the legs and lungs. Start in Irun or San Sebastian and you will love it.

I also walked the Norte Sept 25th - Oct last year. It was beautiful (see my avatar!!)!

Some warm days, which meant swimming at some of the gorgeous beaches. Very little rain and I wore shorts most days.

I would walk this camino again at this time of year in a heartbeat. The weather is a gamble but that's what rain gear is for!!

I was overwhelmed by the beauty on the Norte - the whole way! The food is famously amazing! Some great albergues.

When the split came, most pilgrims walked towards Oviedo and the Primitivo. I had already walked the Primitivo so I stayed on the Norte and really enjoyed that - either way is wonderful.

buen camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I also walked the Norte Sept 25th - Oct last year. It was beautiful (see my avatar!!)!

Some warm days, which meant swimming at some of the gorgeous beaches. Very little rain and I wore shorts most days.

I would walk this camino again at this time of year in a heartbeat. The weather is a gamble but that's what rain gear is for!!

I was overwhelmed by the beauty on the Norte - the whole way! The food is famously amazing! Some great albergues.

When the split came, most pilgrims walked towards Oviedo and the Primitivo. I had already walked the Primitivo so I stayed on the Norte and really enjoyed that - either way is wonderful.

buen camino!

Thank you for your insight. I'm more than excited now. Yeah! I walked Portugal paths twice in the last year and the south was not great but Porto and north wasn't bad....pretty good actually but that's my thought.

Iwas planning to walk el Norte from Sept.7 for 2 weeks, but my Spanish friend who is walking with me says it's rainy and cold in September up in the North. I heard it's very hot this year in Spain. She suggests to take el Portugues but I am afraid it's much harder than el Norte in terms of finding accommodations between the long etapas. I would rather stick to el Norte, so please give me suggestions regarding the climate and any other hint to walk el Norte in September.

I'm walking Norte route starting on Sept 13. I've been through Portugal twice and if you decide to go, start in Porto as the South appears to recognize the Camino less and therefore less support.

I'm pretty sure that there is no wrong choice here. September is generally a good month on the whole of the peninsula, perhaps my favorite time of the year here. As for beds on the Portugues, I can echo what CaminoMatt said: more options north of Porto. I haven't done the math but I would imagine that the beds per kilometer ratio is not much different than the Norte.

Both are beautiful. Both will feed you well. Both are a blend of coastal and inland walking. And both offer a healthy dose of cultural differences between national and regional border crossings.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Norte in september should be warm. I am walking october. Lots more beds and albergue on portuguse from oporto buen camino

I walked the Norte last year with two friends from mid-September to late October. The weather was warm during the first two weeks but not unbearably hot.

Definitely not rainy or cold in the North in September. It is, however, more likely to rain anywhere along the Bay of Biscay and the Galician coast than other parts of Spain; but not monsoon style. As for tempratures, more tshirts than fleeces.

Lots of accommadation on the Portugués.

Good luck and Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have heard this year that the weather in Northern Spain has not been as summer like as usual?

Back