• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portuguese Restaurants - beware of Extras

Rainerbernd

Time of past OR future Camino
On St James ways since 1971
Olá ,

working as hospitaleiro I often get complaints about a special custom in portuguese restaurants. You order your drink and your meal. Then the waiter puts some snacks on your table. For instance: cheese and butter, sausages, bacon, olives and something more, like the spanish tapas. It´s not free! If you don´t like it, tell the waiter to take it away right now, otherwise you have to pay it, even when you didn´t touch it and it still remains on the table.

Another thing. You order a menu do dia/pilgrim´s menu. One drink is included. It´s important what you order first - yes, you are thirsty and you need a bottle of water first. Don´t do it. Your first order should be the more expensive drink like beer, wine etc. Doing so you only have to pay your second order extra, the cheap water.

Bom caminho, Rainer

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Olá ,

working as hospitaleiro I often get complaints about a special custom in portuguese restaurants. You order your drink and your meal. Then the waiter puts some snacks on your table. For instance: cheese and butter, sausages, bacon, olives and something more, like the spanish tapas. It´s not free! If you don´t like it, tell the waiter to take it away right now, otherwise you have to pay it, even when you didn´t touch it and it still remains on the table.

Another thing. You order a menu do dia/pilgrim´s menu. One drink is included. It´s important what you order first - yes, you are thirsty and you need a bottle of water first. Don´t do it. Your first order should be the more expensive drink like beer, wine etc. Doing so you only have to pay your second order the cheap water extra.

Bom caminho, Rainer
Interesting that's the third such post in this summer/autumn period that I remember. But none of that kind before in years I've heard of. Has it changed at all or just because of pilgrim numbers? Local entrepreneurs got greedy or is there something else???

Interesting that's the third such post in this summer/autumn period that I remember. But none of that kind before in years I've heard of. Has it changed at all or just because of pilgrim numbers? Local entrepreneurs got greedy or is there something else???

Olá KinkyOne, nothing has changed. Working in Portugal I know this custom for many years. I can´t remember when it started. In the old days I used to live deep south in the Alentejo. Only a small bowl of peanuts was given for free. All other stuff has to be paid as well. My first post to this subject was in a german forum 8 years ago.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, we found out about this the hard way (we had to pay for it) when we were in Portugal in 2014. Its not just pilgrims that get caught either, they try it on everybody. As said above, if you have not ordered it, send it back straight away.

... Has it changed at all or just because of pilgrim numbers? Local entrepreneurs got greedy or is there something else???

I don't think that is a pilgrim specific thing, I encountered the same in Porto in restaurants that, most likely, had never seen a pilgrim before when I traveled back from the VdlP. Buen Camino, SY

PS I happily paid for the extras, I knew about this customs and they were too yummy to send back ;-)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It's definitely good for pilgrims to be aware of this practice and also to know that it is the standard restaurant practice. No one is trying to rip off pilgrims, this is just how restaurants do things in Portugal. No one is offended or upset if you don't eat any of it.

The only thing that surprised me in your comments, Rainer, was the warning that if you don't ask the waiter to take it away from the table immediately you'll have to pay for it. That is not my experience at all. If the waiter brings the plates when we sit down, we'll indicate we don't want them, but if they are on the table when we arrive we don't do anything, and they'll take them away when the meal comes. I've never had a problem.

Olá,
in a german forum some pilgrims wrote the extras remained untouched on the table. They didn´t say anything, wether they wanted it or not. Later it was on the bill.

Every year I have arguments with a restaurant owner. I asked him to inform the pilgrims that the extras have to be paid, because most pilgrims are new to Portugal. He always says: "It´s only 2 - 3 € they have to pay for the extras. That means nothing to them - pilgrims have money."

Last edited:
That is good information to pass along. A few times in Portugal I noticed one euro being added to the bill for the bread. I thought it was a bit odd, but I did not think about it too much. In July this year, a cafe in Porto brought us some bread and cheese. They then added 5 euros to the bill. After complaining about it we just paid and left. Live and learn.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That is good information to pass along. A few times in Portugal I noticed one euro being added to the bill for the bread. I thought it was a bit odd, but I did not think about it too much. In July this year, a cafe in Porto brought us some bread and cheese. They then added 5 euros to the bill. After complaining about it we just paid and left. Live and learn.

One euro for bread? That sounds like tourists/pilgrims are sheep to be fleeced. A bread roll (carcaça ronda/papo-seco) is for 18 - 21 Cents, delivered to the restaurant.

is for 18 - 21 Cents, delivered to the restaurant.
Typical cost of goods sold in a restaurant is 26%. I don't think that the bread charge is out of line with that. Some Spanish restaurants also charge for bread after they have automatically brought it to the table. I don't think I have ever been charged for the tapas delivered with coffee or beverage.

Making people pay for bread is becoming common in many places. It is even done now in Montreal. After all, it is a cost to the restaurant and a lot of it is wasted since not served to the next client if you don't eat it or don't eat it all. Consider 1€ per table time the number of table they serve daily, monthly, annually: it adds up and is a bit waste of food, not only money.

Regarding the bits on the table, I remember Laurie posting about it this spring but I never ate in a place that did this. At least I would have warned.

One euro for bread? That sounds like tourists/pilgrims are sheep to be fleeced. A bread roll (carcaça ronda/papo-seco) is for 18 - 21 Cents, delivered to the restaurant.
On the other hand.. you are walking and like to eat and drink something and there is a restaurant, don't complain .they offer you the opportunity to consume something.
In other words They have to earn something otherwise they can not exist and you will be in front of a closed door. Of course you can go to the padeiro and buy your bread there. You will save money:confused:
Food and drinks are cheap in Portugal. Compare it with prices in your home country or here in Holland or France for example. I do not complain when I am in Portugal or even not in Galicia .if I don't want the bread or olives or whatever I give them back .nenhum problema !

Only once in Portugal were we offered a tapas like starter that we were expected to pay for.
There was so much of it that you couldn't possibly have thought it was for free and the
waitress made it clear we would be charged for it. It was an excellent assortment of meat
cheese and bread.

That night we also ordered a bottle of lager each. Then another two and another two.
We were debating if a fourth would be wise when the middle aged waitress appeared
at the table accompanied by a younger girl, who explained in English that we had been
mistakenly given alcoholic free lager ! Had I been drunk I would have been outraged.
As it was, we pressed on and had another round.

I, too,learned this the hard way. I paid for everything they brought to my table including bread. It also happened in Porto.
In America bread usually is included, and nothing extra are brought to your table unless you order them. Not knowing what was included in the order, I assumed what I ordered included whatever they brought to my table.
As you travel through different cultures, you get surprises; sometimes pleasant and occasionally not.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I, too,learned this the hard way. I paid for everything they brought to my table including bread. It also happened in Porto.
In America bread usually is included, and nothing extra are brought to your table unless you order them. Not knowing what was included in the order, I assumed what I ordered included whatever they brought to my table.
As you travel through different cultures, you get surprises; sometimes pleasant and occasionally not.
These are the pleasant surprises of traveling !:)
Nothing wrong with the Portuguese or other countries habbits.

In the USA they learned us to ask for doggybags :confused: ( we refused to take food from a restaurant by the way)
Nobody in Europe does do that

In the USA they learned us to ask for doggybags :confused: ( we refused to take food from a restaurant by the way)

Olá Albertinho, in Baden-Württemberg (southern Germany) it´s customary to ask for doggybags. Around my little village in greater Stuttgart area you can find a small table in restaurants with plastic bags and paper for your doggybag. I´ts said Swabians are very thrifty even in a 5 star restaurant but there they´ll give you a food container.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Same in Slovenia, Albertinho :D
Usually restaurant put leftover food upon request in alu-foil/cardboard box.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It might appear that this is the common practice in Portuguese restaurants, but from my experience it is not. I'm portuguese, btw. Some restaurants do this unsolicited bread/olives/entrés but it is not the most common practice. When it has happenned to me I don't think I can correlate to the location... So not sure they are trying to fleece pilgrims.
I don't like the practice or similar "tricks" like displaying cheap food prices but then have exhorbitant prices for wines or deserts or bread.

Nowadays, only bread you can sometimes find being offered. Expect to pay what is offered, if you don't want send it back, it shouldn't be necessary but it is...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I learned this the first time I visited Lisbon over 25 years ago. I think it is commonly done in tourist areas. Just remember not to assume. If the waiter brings something to your table ASK if it is included.

I've been in Portugal for the last 6 weeks and have noticed most restaurants giving me bread/plates of cheese/meat/olives when I sit down, but also a note on the bottom of many menus (except where I am right now!) stating that you can't be charged for anything that you didn't order and didn't eat. It looks like they passed a law in 2015 to stop restaurants charging clients for unordered and unconsumed food placed on the table, or 'couverts' as they call them.

I haven't been eating these 'couverts' as meals here are too big for me anyway and I've never had a problem with the bill - I tell them I don't want them and they take them away.

This article explains the new law: http://portugalresident.com/restaurants-charging-unordered-“couverts”-face-€180000-in-fines

Bom Caminho!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Portugal is the cheapest country in Western Europe for practically everything. Carel5 hits the nail on the head. Even if you are charged for items you did not order, the cost is not going to be worth complaining about.
I have not experienced any restaurant in Portugal trying to rip me off. Quite the contrary; somewhere on the Camino Portugues I ordered a meal and returning from the bathroom I found a toasted ham and cheese waiting for me. I brought this to the waitress and said I hadn't ordered it and was told it was a free gift. Elsewhere I have seen notices offering free toast with a cup of coffee.
Most countries that I know of charge for bread.

Even if you are "tricked" into paying for some olives and butter, the meal will probably very cheap compared with similar meals in say Britain, Germany, the Netherlands or the USA.

Amen

Some of the most memorable restaurant experiences I've ever had have been in Portugal . . . . . at a VERY reasonable price.

Unfortunately, this is the consequence of so many people using the pilgrimage as a chip holiday, changing the real mining of it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

The bread rip off has been going for 8 years now.
When you sit down tell them when the bread is delivered its not wanted
Don't touch one roll unless you want to eat he lot,
You are going to be charged regardless, just one mouthful.
Better still
No bread for a year 5 kg less

I refuse to leave food I have paid for and that will go to landfill. I take pride in never leaving food rot or be thrown away, when eating out or at home. I throw away no food.

An admirable status. Quite what it has to do with the theme of this elderly thread escapes me.

As legislation throughout the EU, though sadly not the UK, compels establishments to facilitate “take-away” of uneaten food you should find that there is no wastage of food. Unless you ordered to much in the first place…

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back