• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portuguese route accommodation

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Have a look at Gronze (www.gronze.com) using a browser like Chrome that will do the translation from Spanish to English for you.

I will be walking the CP a little earlier than you, and my target is 20 km maximum, which I may have to exceed on five or six days, two of which would exceed your target of 24 km.

If you haven't read Elle Beiling's blog at https://www.pilgrimagetraveler.com/, you might find that useful. There are several other forum members who have informative websites as well who are always willing to help pilgrims walking the Portuguese routes.

Last edited:
I walked it in 2019 Susan, September -Oct and we stayed in hotels, mainly, and at no time did we have trouble finding accommodation. We booked ahead one or two days most of the time. On the whole, our accommodation was good value and very good. I think you’ll be fine, it can’t have changed too much, despite covid. All the best, enjoy your Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I walked it in 2019 Susan, September -Oct and we stayed in hotels, mainly, and at no time did we have trouble finding accommodation. We booked ahead one or two days most of the time. On the whole, our accommodation was good value and very good. I think you’ll be fine, it can’t have changed too much, despite covid. All the best, enjoy your Camino.
Thankyou

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, i walked it last month. Booked ahead on Booking.com (largely as we were first timers and unsure of many things!). Several small places seemed to have very little accommodation, so it may be worth booking ahead. Check out my blog at www.taste-adventures.com you will note that i mention some (not all) of the places we stayed by name. You would be correct to infet that these are ones i would recommend...!

HI, we are planning to walk from Lisbon to Santiago starting in July. We don't want to walk over 15 miles each day so could anyone advise on accommodation on this route? I know that there are not so many albergues but as we always stay in hotels would we easily find accommodation?
Many thanks

Sue
It can be done! There are now many more albergues and accommodations available than in the past. If you read my website, yes, there is sufficient information to help you. The google maps I have created will help you see the distances and the choices between the "usual" stages. Happy planning, and please let me know any specific questions you may have!

HI, we are planning to walk from Lisbon to Santiago starting in July. We don't want to walk over 15 miles each day so could anyone advise on accommodation on this route? I know that there are not so many albergues but as we always stay in hotels would we easily find accommodation?
Many thanks

Sue
Hi Sue. My husband and I are walking the Camino Portuguese right now and we began in Lisbon. We would reserve private rooms in private Albergues and hotels one day in advance and had no problem finding a place to sleep. Look at Booking.com. It’s a very helpful resource and has many more accommodations than the guidebooks list. Bom Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Sue. My husband and I are walking the Camino Portuguese right now and we began in Lisbon. We would reserve private rooms in private Albergues and hotels one day in advance and had no problem finding a place to sleep. Look at Booking.com. It’s a very helpful resource and has many more accommodations than the guidebooks list. Bom Camino!
Hi, thanks for your reply, where did you stay after your first days walk?

I stayed at RIBATEJANA casa de alojamento local which from memory was about 100 meters from the station. Probably about a 2 star hostal but very friendly and quite good.
Did you have a reservation there? I have found a phone number for them on Gronze, but no email address, and they aren't on WhatsApp.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
When I walked from Lisbon there were a number of 30klm days without any accommodation. I had a preference for Pension/ Hostals or Hotels but would stay in Albergues if nothing else was available. This was six years ago so there may well be more accommodation available now.
There were also sometimes bed available at fire stations ( bombieros) but they may not still be supplying this facility.

It can be done! There are now many more albergues and accommodations available than in the past. If you read my website, yes, there is sufficient information to help you. The google maps I have created will help you see the distances and the choices between the "usual" stages. Happy planning, and please let me know any specific questions you may have!
Thank you so much Elle. I'm looking at your website right now.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Did you have a reservation there? I have found a phone number for them on Gronze, but no email address, and they aren't on WhatsApp.
We walked this Camino last year during the prime of the pandemic. The Albergue in Alpriate was closed so we had reserved in advance a room at a private small hotel in Bucelas, a nearby town. When we got to Alpriate we called a cab who took us to Bucelas and brought us back the next morning to start from there.

Many thanks

Sue
If u r spending money on hotels, u would find no problems until most albergue bed spaces are filled. Especially in smaller towns, your preferred stay in a hotel would be much welcomed. So, avoid the few v busy weeks.

Many thanks

Sue
Be warned that it can be brutally hot, for the stretch along the Tejo for the first week or so. Wherever you stay, you'll want to be starting very, very early in the morning in hot weather. After about 11:30 am, if it's a hot spell (over 35 Celsius), you want to be staying put in a shady spot till about 4 pm at least.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Be warned that it can be brutally hot, for the stretch along the Tejo for the first week or so. Wherever you stay, you'll want to be starting very, very early in the morning in hot weather. After about 11:30 am, if it's a hot spell (over 35 Celsius), you want to be staying put in a shady spot till about 4 pm at least.
Yes, when we walked this route in late Aug/early Sept, we started progressively earlier each day, and had mostly short days at that! Even so, one day I found myself getting dangerously close to overheating - but after a rest in the shade (the only shade we could find was an underpass on a country road) and drinking lots of water, I was fine. Sort of fine, actually done for the day; fortunately, we were close to destination.

Hi, i walked it last month. Booked ahead on Booking.com (largely as we were first timers and unsure of many things!). Several small places seemed to have very little accommodation, so it may be worth booking ahead. Check out my blog at www.taste-adventures.com you will note that i mention some (not all) of the places we stayed by name. You would be correct to infet that these are ones i would recommend...!
Hi have you walked from Lisbon or just Porto
Sue

Good luck finding available beds! Just completed the CP and it was very hard (or expensive) in places. Book ahead!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good luck finding available beds! Just completed the CP and it was very hard (or expensive) in places. Book ahea
Hi did you start in Lisbon?
Did you find it difficult finding rooms in hotels or albergues?

In many places I did, and Santiago is nowadays too overpriced for hotels, had to go in a cramped hostel..
Hi there.. I'm starting the CP next week from porto and have accommodation booked as far as Vitorino dos Piaes.

Then I also have booked ahead for the two nights on variante espiritual (just to be sure and also to align my schedule with boat).

I had kinda thought I might leave the rest open (except for SDC) but I've just read your post and I'm guessing June is busier than May 🤔

How much difficulty did you have on the stretch between Vitorino dos Piaes and Pontevedra?

(I'm not that fussy and have already booked a mix of private rooms and dorms).

Cheers,

Phil

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In Pontevedra no issues, there are many accomodations, in smaller towns before that I had to keep walking to find something.

When I walked from Lisbon there were a number of 30klm days without any accommodation. I had a preference for Pension/ Hostals or Hotels but would stay in Albergues if nothing else was available. This was six years ago so there may well be more accommodation available now.
There were also sometimes bed available at fire stations ( bombieros) but they may not still be supplying this facility.
Which route from Lisbon?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It's a problem now that the Alpriate albergue has closed down. I have to rethink things.

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back