• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portuguese route from Tui Weather in October / November

jrviegas

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese
My wife and I are planning our first Camino from Tui. our plan is for either late october or early November. What can we expect in terms of weather? Would hotels, hostels, albergues be open? Do many people do that route that time of year? Not fond of warm weather - one reason that we are pushing to the end of the year but do not want it to be cold either :)
Thanks

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Wet. The north part of Portugal and that part of Spain--Galicia--are very green for a reason. Their climate is similar to that of the Pacific Northwest (Portland/Seattle/Vancouver) in North America.

October can be very pleasant and not too wet. November is starting to get into the rainy season. Some years are okay; others have a lot of rain.

On this website, Porto and Viano do Castelo in the Northern Portugal table will give you an idea of the monthly averages for October and November.

Bom caminho!

[Edit: Forgot the website! https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/Portugal/precipitation-november.php ]

Wet. The north part of Portugal and that part of Spain--Galicia--are very green for a reason. Their climate is similar to that of the Pacific Northwest (Portland/Seattle/Vancouver) in North America.

October can be very pleasant and not too wet. November is starting to get into the rainy season. Some years are okay; others have a lot of rain.

On this website, Porto and Viano do Castelo in the Northern Portugal table will give you an idea of the monthly averages for October and November.

Bom caminho!

[Edit: Forgot the website! https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/Portugal/precipitation-november.php ]
Many thanks. Do not look like very promising months.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My wife and I are planning our first Camino from Tui. our plan is for either late october or early November. What can we expect in terms of weather? Would hotels, hostels, albergues be open? Do many people do that route that time of year? Not fond of warm weather - one reason that we are pushing to the end of the year but do not want it to be cold either :)
Thanks
jrviegas,

December 2011 I walked alone from Santiago to Tui/Valenca backwards down the camino. This backwards blog might help you with weather, accommodations, etc. Finding yellow arrows going the opposite way was not easy but, of course, it was great fun.

Good luck with your planning.

We went in mid-October. It rained eight days out of eleven, a couple of days so heavily that my phone (kept inside my sealed coat pocket or backpack most of the day) was disabled and I lost all our pictures. The week and a half before and the week and a half after us were much drier. So be prepared for rain (quick drying, light shoes, extra socks, appropriate jacket, plastic sack for your phone). We still enjoyed ourselves, everything was open, great food in both countries. With hour-by-hour forecasts you may also be able to plan your days to avoid real deluges, especially if you can stay in hotels for some days.
There would be less rain on an inland camino like the Primitivo or Frances, but in late October or early November you will have some days of rain everywhere. The Spanish weather service says that on average the cities along the Portugués get some rain 13-14 days a month, while Leon gets rain 7-8 days. The quantity of rain is three or four times as great along the coast, 7-8 inches vs. 2-3 inches in the course of the month.
Enjoy it.

I walked the Portuguese (parts of the coastal and interior route) in Oct and got a lot of rain. I was going to walk the "Spiritual Variant" but it was predicted to rain the entire time and I had had enough of the rain by that point, so I just went into Santiago.

Attachments

• PA190265.MOV
    129.7 MB
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Walked this route from Tui, with the variante espirituel, late October last year. Everywhere with the exception of one hotel in Armenteira was open; we may have been lucky but only on one day out of 7 (we took our time :) ) did we have significant rain on the trail. One other day there was rain just as we were arriving at our hotel. Temperature was perfect for walking. I was walking with three people on their first camino and it was a great experience. I'd thoroughly recommend the variante - the stay at the convent in Armenteira was a highlight.

I walked the Portuguese (parts of the coastal and interior route) in Oct and got a lot of rain. I was going to walk the "Spiritual Variant" but it was predicted to rain the entire time and I had had enough of the rain by that point, so I just went into Santiago.
Hola Steve! You're a warrior!! That was some rain! I'm planning on the same camino Coastal & Spiritual in late Oct. Into Nov. Do you know if the interior route is any better rainwise? Was it cold?? I'm a Floridian.... so cold weather is no bueno!! LoL

Hi all, ahh the weather!! I did this last year (CP with espiritual) from mid october into november and it was perfectly nice, one day of storm and rain which turned into a rest day to watch the spectacle. Rain gear and my down jacket were mostly at the bottom of my pack, and walked 90% in shorts and a shirt.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hola Steve! You're a warrior!! That was some rain! I'm planning on the same camino Coastal & Spiritual in late Oct. Into Nov. Do you know if the interior route is any better rainwise? Was it cold?? I'm a Floridian.... so cold weather is no bueno!! LoL
In and near Galicia at that time of year you need to be prepared for rain and cold (40s to 60s). You may get lucky and have great weather like Kilmmo above, but you can't count on that.

Hi Everyone
I will be walking this path on Wednesday, and the weather seems ok by the forecast prediction. First, however, I would seek a downloadable map for my iPhone. Is anyone who has this and wants to share it?

Thanks in advance

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
On the Buen Camino app when you click on "Discover Further Routes" you will see a list of Camino routes that you can download. Scroll down to "Coastal Portuguese Route."

BC further routes.pngBC coastal.png

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi We are on the Camino and wanted to warn our fellow travellers to stay away from O MUINO camping/ bungalow Park. They have signs on the road from Mougas saying pilgrim breakfast available...
I seem to recall reading somewhere that some of the Hotels or Pensions may have pilgrim rates that are lower than what you see on booking.com? If this is true how common is this and do you...
Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hello fellow Pilgrims☺️ I am planning to do the my first Caminho ( Portugese coastal route) in September. I have been reading in various posts that you can ask for a pilgrim’s discount for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back