A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The big map o the Caminos de Santiago

Portuguese Trash: Ditch Pigs Cleanup 25 November 2018

Camino(s) past & future
Many, various, and continuing.
The Ditch Pigs trash wagon is rolling up the Camino Portuguese Central this year!
The Portuguese Amigos have identified the Top 5 most nasty spots along their part of this classic camino corridor, and we'll be the first crew on the scene. It's historic trash, so the work will be heavy, the days will likely be long. (sunday to friday.) It's not a job for the faint of heart or the weak of knee... we will hopefully have some help from the locals this year.
I'm meeting with Ze, coordinator of the Lusitanian group, to find places to sleep and eat along the Way. We're not based at Peaceable, so our costs will be higher... we have to pay our own way. We meet up just north of Oporto on 25 November, and we'll work our way north to the border.
We've already received some kind donativos. If you cannot help with the actual mucking-out, you can use the PayPal links at www.peaceableprojects.org to help us pay the freight!
Details to come.

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
There'll be a ton of trash so may you have a ton of support to meet it.
And strong stomachs. This is heroic work...seriously.
Bravo Rebekah and bravo Ditch Pigs!!!

Jacobus

Pilgrim since 2008
Camino(s) past & future
CF 2008 09 14
Del Norte 2011. Portuguese 2015, 2017Ingles 2015 Fisterre 2015.
The Ditch Pigs trash wagon is rolling up the Camino Portuguese Central this year!
The Portuguese Amigos have identified the Top 5 most nasty spots along their part of this classic camino corridor, and we'll be the first crew on the scene. It's historic trash, so the work will be heavy, the days will likely be long. (sunday to friday.) It's not a job for the faint of heart or the weak of knee... we will hopefully have some help from the locals this year.
I'm meeting with Ze, coordinator of the Lusitanian group, to find places to sleep and eat along the Way. We're not based at Peaceable, so our costs will be higher... we have to pay our own way. We meet up just north of Oporto on 25 November, and we'll work our way north to the border.
We've already received some kind donativos. If you cannot help with the actual mucking-out, you can use the PayPal links at www.peaceableprojects.org to help us pay the freight!
Details to come.
Details to come.
Hi Rebekka
I dont use paypal but I can transfer funds to an email address. I would be happy to contribute.
Jim

Camino(s) past & future
OK, we meet up just north of Oporto 25 November (at Virgin of the Hours albergue). We have a full complement of Pigs signed up now, and several people and places along the way have promised to help us out in several aspects, with guides and maps and wisdom laid-on by Wise Pilgrim and JohnnieWalker Santiago's CSJ guides.... now we just hope for good weather!

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Bumping this thread...because even though there is a complete complement DPs, you can still support Reb and the drove of pigs in the grungy work they will be doing!
Oh...and pray for sunshine!

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999
Camino(s) past & future
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Camino Inglés 2018

Now: http://egeria.house/
Hi Reb,

When will you all be in Santiago? I can offer hospitality to up to three ditch pigs (two sharing a double bed) at my place if needed/wanted. Anything else what you need/want from my end, just tell me. Also might join you on your last day or so if needed.

Buen Camino, SY

Camino(s) past & future
Yet another Ditch Pigs Cleanup has dusted off its filthy trotters and headed home again.
We covered about 50 km. of the Camino Portuguese Central, from Vairao north to Barcelos, then from Ponte de Lima to the top of Alto de Portela. It's not our usual 100 km. distance, but it was very slow-going, heavy work. (In the first two kilometers we cleared a TV picture tube, 4 catheters, two bumpers and several tires, countless yogurt cups, bottles, cans, garden pots and cigarette packets, and a guidebook to the Camino de la Lana... we filled four "dumpster" bins to the brim.)
There were several "firsts" this year: Our first Spanish Ditch Pig, Marivalle Antonlinez, joined the troupe, and was a true trouper. We worked for the first time outside of Spain, and strengthened alliances with three different Portuguese volunteer groups in Oporto, San Pedro Rates, and Barcelos (viva la quemada!)
We feasted on roast kid in San Pedro, roast rooster in Pedras Furadas, and a great assortment of fishes in Ponte de Lima... all with vinho verde, of course. At prices that seemed impossibly low!
We sent "Don Limpio," our trusty garbage cart, down a mountainside. He has been re-christened "The Beast." (He has no brakes, but up til now has not been subject to roll-over conditions.)
And at the end of it all, we met up with Sybille in Santiago for a nice SPANISH dinner!
I can't tell you how many kinds of GENEROSITY we enjoyed, much of it emanating from this Forum.
Thank you all for making this happen.
.... next year, the Pyrenees!

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 114 14.5%
  • May

Votes: 191 24.3%