• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portuguese Trash: Ditch Pigs Cleanup 25 November 2018

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Time of past OR future Camino
Many, various, and continuing.
The Ditch Pigs trash wagon is rolling up the Camino Portuguese Central this year!
The Portuguese Amigos have identified the Top 5 most nasty spots along their part of this classic camino corridor, and we'll be the first crew on the scene. It's historic trash, so the work will be heavy, the days will likely be long. (sunday to friday.) It's not a job for the faint of heart or the weak of knee... we will hopefully have some help from the locals this year.
I'm meeting with Ze, coordinator of the Lusitanian group, to find places to sleep and eat along the Way. We're not based at Peaceable, so our costs will be higher... we have to pay our own way. We meet up just north of Oporto on 25 November, and we'll work our way north to the border.
We've already received some kind donativos. If you cannot help with the actual mucking-out, you can use the PayPal links at www.peaceableprojects.org to help us pay the freight!
Details to come.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Ditch Pigs trash wagon is rolling up the Camino Portuguese Central this year!
The Portuguese Amigos have identified the Top 5 most nasty spots along their part of this classic camino corridor, and we'll be the first crew on the scene. It's historic trash, so the work will be heavy, the days will likely be long. (sunday to friday.) It's not a job for the faint of heart or the weak of knee... we will hopefully have some help from the locals this year.
I'm meeting with Ze, coordinator of the Lusitanian group, to find places to sleep and eat along the Way. We're not based at Peaceable, so our costs will be higher... we have to pay our own way. We meet up just north of Oporto on 25 November, and we'll work our way north to the border.
We've already received some kind donativos. If you cannot help with the actual mucking-out, you can use the PayPal links at www.peaceableprojects.org to help us pay the freight!
Details to come.

Details to come.
Hi Rebekka
I dont use paypal but I can transfer funds to an email address. I would be happy to contribute.
Jim

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
OK, we meet up just north of Oporto 25 November (at Virgin of the Hours albergue). We have a full complement of Pigs signed up now, and several people and places along the way have promised to help us out in several aspects, with guides and maps and wisdom laid-on by Wise Pilgrim and JohnnieWalker Santiago's CSJ guides.... now we just hope for good weather!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Reb,

When will you all be in Santiago? I can offer hospitality to up to three ditch pigs (two sharing a double bed) at my place if needed/wanted. Anything else what you need/want from my end, just tell me. Also might join you on your last day or so if needed.

Buen Camino, SY

Yet another Ditch Pigs Cleanup has dusted off its filthy trotters and headed home again.
We covered about 50 km. of the Camino Portuguese Central, from Vairao north to Barcelos, then from Ponte de Lima to the top of Alto de Portela. It's not our usual 100 km. distance, but it was very slow-going, heavy work. (In the first two kilometers we cleared a TV picture tube, 4 catheters, two bumpers and several tires, countless yogurt cups, bottles, cans, garden pots and cigarette packets, and a guidebook to the Camino de la Lana... we filled four "dumpster" bins to the brim.)
There were several "firsts" this year: Our first Spanish Ditch Pig, Marivalle Antonlinez, joined the troupe, and was a true trouper. We worked for the first time outside of Spain, and strengthened alliances with three different Portuguese volunteer groups in Oporto, San Pedro Rates, and Barcelos (viva la quemada!)
We feasted on roast kid in San Pedro, roast rooster in Pedras Furadas, and a great assortment of fishes in Ponte de Lima... all with vinho verde, of course. At prices that seemed impossibly low!
We sent "Don Limpio," our trusty garbage cart, down a mountainside. He has been re-christened "The Beast." (He has no brakes, but up til now has not been subject to roll-over conditions.)
And at the end of it all, we met up with Sybille in Santiago for a nice SPANISH dinner!
I can't tell you how many kinds of GENEROSITY we enjoyed, much of it emanating from this Forum.
Thank you all for making this happen.
.... next year, the Pyrenees!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back