• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portuguese Way from Tui via the Spiritual Variant - advice please!

guernica

Time of past OR future Camino
May & August 2023
Next week I travel to Valença/Tui, the starting point of my first Camino. Suggestions are much appreciated! Especially – itinerary advice and minor diversions to consider, best mid-way spots to lunch and rest, and hostels offering communal dinners (I'm a solo traveler). Thank you!

day 0: PortoValença by train arriving at 6pm
albergue de peregrinos de tui

day 1: TuiPorriño (17 km)
⌂ alojamiento camino portugués

day 2: PorriñoRedondela (16 km)
⌂ casa da torre

day 3: RedondelaPontevedra (20 km)
⌂ bulezen urban hostel

day 4: PontevedraArmenteira (22 km)
⌂ monasterio cisterciense or albergue de peregrinos de armenteira

day 5: ArmenteiraVilanova de Arousa (23 km)
⌂ albergue a corticela

day 6: Vilanova de ArousaO Faramello (Teo) (13 km + 28 km by boat)
⌂ albergue de peregrinos de teo

day 7: O Faramello (Teo)➛Santiago de Compostela (15 km)
⌂ albergue seminario menor

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
HI! An interesting place to take a break/check out some things is Padron. There are some interesting churches/historical sights ( https://www.fundacionjacobea.org/en...-origin-of-the-santiago-tradition-in-galicia/ )

Also, we got the Padron certificate, available in the library/tourist office, but I can't remember if there were any distance requirements to get it, we started in Lisbon so I didn't pay much attention to a distance requirement, but you can also just get their stamp at the library as well.

I hope you have a wonderful walk!

HI! An interesting place to take a break/check out some things is Padron. There are some interesting churches/historical sights ( https://www.fundacionjacobea.org/en...-origin-of-the-santiago-tradition-in-galicia/ )

Also, we got the Padron certificate, available in the library/tourist office, but I can't remember if there were any distance requirements to get it, we started in Lisbon so I didn't pay much attention to a distance requirement, but you can also just get their stamp at the library as well.

Thank you, that's good advice and much appreciated.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi!
Have a wonderful walk.
I think you will love the Spiritual and the stay in the Monastery in Armentiera ! (breakfast is serve yourself and more or less coffee and biscuits) The Pilgrim blessing was a lovely experience.
However i really recommend a visit to Combarro for lunch at least it is a pretty special little place; the Camino turns right and uphill at the side of the Hotel Xeito !
Woody

We picked up our Padrona Certificate at the municipal albergue in Padrón just last spring. Your route from Pontevedra along the Variante Espiritual will qualify you for the certificate.

Like others, we, too stayed at the Monestario Armenteira. The stay along with the Pilgrim’s Mass made for a special stop along The Way.

Finally, we did arrange our morning boat ride from Vilanova de Arousa in advance through Amare +34650410322 on WhatsApp. If the tides allow a morning departure, you’ll be able to enjoy a nice lunch in Padrón and get some of their delicious peppers.

Next week I travel to Valença/Tui, the starting point of my first Camino. Suggestions are much appreciated! Especially – itinerary advice and minor diversions to consider, best mid-way spots to lunch and rest, and hostels offering communal dinners (I'm a solo traveler). Thank you!

⌂ casa da torre

⌂ bulezen urban hostel

⌂ albergue a corticela

The town of Combarro on the first day of the Spiritual way is beautiful and worth a long lunch and time to explore. I also walked much further than 22km that day. I think the 22 is measured from where you turn off the main route onto Espiritu.

If you take the boat you are not eligible for the Compestela. I walked from Villanova de Arousa to Padron. It was a long and not so interesting day but I’m happy I chose to walk it.

If you take the boat the departure time is based on the tides so different everyday. If it’s a late tide that day you may have a late start walking that day.

When I walked it I arrived in Padron at the same time as the people who took the boat.

The two walking days of the spiritual way were beautiful 🤗

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you take the boat you are not eligible for the Compestela. I walked from Villanova de Arousa to Padron. It was a long and not so interesting day but I’m happy I chose to walk it.
This isn’t true. No one who takes the boat to Padrón is penalized with regard to receiving the Compostela upon arrival in Santiago. We followed nearly the identical itinerary as the OP and received our Compostelas. There are other threads on this Forum that speak to this as well.

The town of Combarro on the first day of the Spiritual way is beautiful and worth a long lunch and time to explore. I also walked much further than 22km that day. I think the 22 is measured from where you turn off the main route onto Espiritu.
I am glad you posted this i think when i walked ;on my app the distance from Pontevedra to Combarro was just over 11km but my Fitbit registered 21km as far as i am aware i never got lost!!:)
Woody

This isn’t true. No one who takes the boat to Padrón is penalized with regard to receiving the Compostela upon arrival in Santiago. We followed nearly the identical itinerary as the OP and received our Compostelas. There are other threads on this Forum that speak to this as well.
I don’t speak from personal experience on that… just what I heard. I also heard you can get a certificate but not a full compestela

Sorry if I posted wrong information

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
But make your answer complete to tell that you have to start at least in O Porriño or Vigo .

Great info I'm now wondering if I should begin in Porrino or even Redondela instead of Tui? Are those 17/33 km "worth it" in terms of beauty and interest? My itinerary doesn't have much slack (I leave Santiago de Compostela early the next morning, having arrived the previous afternoon), so perhaps it's best to gain the extra day?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Like you, I am a solo traveler planning to start in Valenca on my first Camino, however I'm doing a variant of my own. If you are unconcerned about getting the certificate, you can start from wherever you want. You could also start in Vigo. BTW, I looked at your estimated KM's per day, and they vary slightly from what I found in the John's Brierley's book. If you don't already have his book - I recommend getting one. The walk from Armenteria to Villanova de Arousa is listed at 24.6 = 15.28 miles.

For comparison, I've listed my plan below. I'm trying to walk 10-12 miles per day at most (around 18 km), but I do have one 13 mile day. My plan should qualify for the certificate, but I'm not walking to earn it. I figure if I have any difficulties, I'll just take a cab and not worry about the certificate:
Day 1 Valenca to Tui 3.4 Km
Day 2 Tui to Oporrino 16 Km
Day 3 Oporrino to Redondela 17 Km
Day 4 Redondela to Pontevedra 18 Km
Day 5 Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis 22 Km
Day 6 Caldas de Reis to Pontecesures 16.6 Km Train to Villa Garcia de Arousa, cab to Vilanova de Arousa
Day 7 Boat from Vilanova de Arousa back to Pontecesures and will walk from there to O'Sisto 10.9 Km
Day 8 O'Sisto to Santiago de Compostela 13-14 Km - staying 2 nights

The boat ride and train over wont be included for my "mileage" but I wanted to take the boat and the plan above allows me to take it.

Bueno Camino

One of our favourite days was the stretch from Vigo to Redondela, some beautiful views, a relatively short 16k day, and you qualify for a compostela. Vigo is easy to get to
Thanks! I think I may start my Camino in Vigo!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We picked up our Padrona Certificate at the municipal albergue in Padrón just last spring. Your route from Pontevedra along the Variante Espiritual will qualify you for the certificate.

Like others, we, too stayed at the Monestario Armenteira. The stay along with the Pilgrim’s Mass made for a special stop along The Way.

Finally, we did arrange our morning boat ride from Vilanova de Arousa in advance through Amare +34650410322 on WhatsApp. If the tides allow a morning departure, you’ll be able to enjoy a nice lunch in Padrón and get some of their delicious peppers.
Brilliant information. I'll note that phone number!

Thanks for the advice!

Great info I'm now wondering if I should begin in Porrino or even Redondela instead of Tui? Are those 17/33 km "worth it" in terms of beauty and interest? My itinerary doesn't have much slack (I leave Santiago de Compostela early the next morning, having arrived the previous afternoon), so perhaps it's best to gain the extra day?
starting in Redondela does not qualify for a Compostela
as long as you can show 2 stamps a day at your credential for the last 100 kms from Vigo or O Porriño , being recognized routes, you can apply for a Compostela.
if you apply for a certificate of Distance( costs are 3 €) at the Pilgrims Office they confirm that you walked 100 km ( From Vigo or O Porriño ) or the more kms you walked before those two places
I have several Distâncias , one with 655 kms on from Lisbon, one from Porto by the full coast ( by Vigo) 280 kms
one from Porto by the coastal to Caminha and a cut to the central to Valença do Minho and the variante espiritual 260 kms and one from Porto by the complete central route 240 kms.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
starting in Redondela does not qualify for a Compostela
as long as you can show 2 stamps a day at your credential for the last 100 kms from Vigo or O Porriño , being recognized routes, you can apply for a Compostela.
if you apply for a certificate of Distance( costs are 3 €) at the Pilgrims Office they confirm that you walked 100 km ( From Vigo or O Porriño ) or the more kms you walked before those two places
I have several Distâncias , one with 655 kms on from Lisbon, one from Porto by the full coast ( by Vigo) 280 kms
one from Porto by the coastal to Caminha and a cut to the central to Valença do Minho and the variante espiritual 260 kms and one from Porto by the complete central route 240 kms.
Thank you. I'm currently in Porto and will taking the train to Vigo later today, where I shall begin my Camino tomorrow. Am I right in thinking Vigo to Redondela is more scenic and not too much more arduous than beginning in O Porrino?

Depending how you walk from Vigo to Redondela.
You can follow the waymarkers into the hills or as we did, follow the estuary and the railwaytrack. The latter one was not that fashinating.
The track from O Porriño is not bad
Before O Porriño yes if you walk at the 11 kms long industrial estate unless you like to see the new produced French Citroen cars , parked on big parking lots
But there is an alternative detour along a river. Very nice
To Redondela from o Porriño you will descend on very steep hills with beautifull views.

3 kms after Redondela is in the village of Cessantes is albergue O Refúxio de la Jerézana. I prefer that one above the ones in Redondela

Last edited:
I am planning to walk from Valenca in September, including the Spiritual. Does the boat fro Vilanova de Arousa run on a Sunday? Thanks

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am planning to walk from Valenca in September, including the Spiritual. Does the boat fro Vilanova de Arousa run on a Sunday? Thanks
I think so, but you can contact (one of the) operators via WhatsApp to confirm: wa.me/34607911523

It's a beautiful journey. I'm currently in Padrón, which is great place to take a break before the last push to Santiago de Compostela.

Be aware that the walk from Armenteira to Vilanova de Arousa is 28.5 km, not whatever is claimed online.

Also, for the albergue in A Armenteira, you should reserve a bed the day before: wa.me/34619534087

I did the Spiritual Route in May 2022. Please note other than the Monastery (breakfast was coffee and crackers) and the Albergue in Armenteira there are no other accommodations. I saw some pilgrims call a taxi to take them back to Combarro for lodging, then return the next morning to Armenteira the next morning to continue along the Ruta da Pedra e da Agua (which was beautiful). On a good day the boat ride from VND Arousa to Padron is beautiful and I highly recommend it. Once in Padron don't forget to get your Pedronia at the tourist office.

Avoid the municipal albergue in Vilanova de Aroussa, it is above a gym and at 11:00 there is still a practice going on, might as well have your bed in the gym.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

⌂ casa da torre

⌂ bulezen urban hostel

⌂ albergue a corticela

I
The albergue in Vila Nova, Recommend. Comfy beds, free washing machine, friendly host, good shower,, equipped kitchen...

And allow some time in Combarro.
Walk by the water, by the winding streets and small squares, observe all the crosses and horreos and see if the menus at the restaurants tempt you.
Go into the supermarket if you need supplies as there are no shops in armenteria, there's a good Cafe near the supermarket, then go up the hill.
It's a bit steep at first. Take your time, look back at where you've come, take a few photos. The road will become less steep soon, enjoy your walk.
I wish I was back there with you. Even with the light rain going up the hill, I enjoyed it.

And o porrino looks an okay place, but a few km up the road from there, check out Mos. I walked thru there, was tempted to stay there. Its small peaceful, hill top village with an albergue.

There's not much in Armenteria, with just a basic albergue for the budget option, definitely reserve your bed in advance!
So no need to rush up there. There's plenty to see and do on the way.
Dont forget to spare a few minutes in Poio to have a look at the monastery.

Last edited:
Tui, Try staying at Albergue Convento del Camino. its down from the cathedral, on the Camino path.
An old building with a relaxing vibe. Good facilities and a friendly host, wiih an outside garden area to enjoy.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just for fun let's compare walking stages.

Keep in mind that I was fortunate to have more time than you, so had started in Tomar so I was quite fit and strong when I reached Tui.

* Tui, Albergue Convento del camino
* Redondola, A conserveria. (A quiet hostel)
* Combarro, Hogar del Puerto (I felt like a hotel room by the sea)
*Armenteria, the municipal albergue
* Vila Nova, A Corticela
* Boat and then walked to Santiago , Albergue Sixtos no camino.
*Then onwards to Muxia.

I had done the coastal camino from Porto a few years ago, so did not need much time in Pontevedra and Padron (had a light lunch and look around there)

Have an awesome camino

Last edited:
Creo que sí, pero puedes contactar a (uno de los) operadores vía WhatsApp para confirmar: wa.me/34607911523

Es un hermoso viaje. Actualmente estoy en Padrón, que es un gran lugar para tomar un descanso antes del último empujón a Santiago de Compostela.

Tenga en cuenta que la caminata de Armenteira a Vilanova de Arousa es de 28,5 km, no lo que se afirma en línea.

Además, para el albergue de A Armenteira, debes reservar una cama el día anterior: wa.me/34619534087
Yo he viajado con Amare +34650410322

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Albergue in Armenteira is very well maintained and the hospitalero is very kind, stayed there about 3 weeks ago). If you stay here opt for the breakfast which was fabulous. It is easy to walk to the restaurant for lunch or dinner at the foot of the Monastery, Pilgrims are welcome to attend all the services at the monastery, even if not staying there. The next stage that begins with la Ruta da Pedra e da Auga is a dream, surely the Etapa Reina of the Variante Espiritual. Buen Camino!

I think so, but you can contact (one of the) operators via WhatsApp to confirm: wa.me/34607911523

It's a beautiful journey. I'm currently in Padrón, which is great place to take a break before the last push to Santiago de Compostela.

Be aware that the walk from Armenteira to Vilanova de Arousa is 28.5 km, not whatever is claimed online.

Also, for the albergue in A Armenteira, you should reserve a bed the day before: wa.me/34619534087
I’m showing 23 km to Armentiera. That’s a big difference for me. Thank you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back