• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Positive Bed Bug Thread

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
Bed bugs are a perennial topic on the forum and I thought it might be an idea to list those places that are willing to help you (on a regular bases, not just the occasional hospitaler@) if you have/suspect to have unwanted passengers in your backpack. I know of one for sure, but it would be great if others could add to this list so that future pilgrims know where they can go for help without being afraid to ask. Buen Camino, SY

Albergue Gaucelmo, Rabanal
The hospitaleros there have a well established 'bed bug procedure' and are actively encouraging pilgrims to come forward and be helped.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The woman working at Albergue La Senda in Rabanal del Camino was very helpful in helping me deal with bedbugs. I think that it helped that I arrived early before she was busy with other pilgrims. She even offered to share her lunch with me, and loaned me a hair dryer.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I found excellent self-service laundromats in Leon and Sarria, and there would likely be some in the other significant towns. Just search for "lavanderia autoservicio."

It would be useful to have a list compiled for the resources section of the all addresses for lavenderia autoservicios along the CF. I have found they are often a way from the Camino path, in more suburban areas.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just pop this kind of information in here and I am happy to compile a PDF for the resources section (including laundromats and helpful albergues). Buen Camino sin chinches, SY
maybe also a link to euroski so people can look up contact info for the albergue they left, and a short Spanish wording they could cut and paste into an email to tell the last albergue there were problems

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
There were bed bugs at the Ave Fenix Albergue, not sure if the place has been cleared. The Municipal is awesome!

Albergue Gaucelmo, Rabanal
The hospitaleros there have a well established 'bed bug procedure' and are actively encouraging pilgrims to come forward and be helped.

Hola SY I actually saw "first hand" the Rabanal treatment. The female pilgrim advise Tom (the hospitalero) that she thought she may have had "the bugs". Tom smiled (the best reaction possible) and then carefully explained the Rabanal Treatment Procedure. After a hot shower; (another girl provide a quality shampoo) there was a loan of clean clothes (top & bottom & nickers) - very much an example of the old adage "the Camino will provide". Tom then help her wash ALL her clothes; put her sleeping bag in their HOT drier; & her backpack was left in the hot sun after being sprayed. I saw her at breakfast the following morning - she had the biggest smile and really thanked Tom and his daughter for their kindness.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My 2c Sybill.
There really does need to be a gentle call to the suspected albergue of origin.
And , the following receiving albergues need to treat infected pilgrims as best as possible.
Then , the Next Albergues in 100km need to be notified of the infection and be vigalent.
Infected albergues will have to be closed and treated.
Chances are that every pilgrim that has bites are carrying bugs or eggs.
We need to address this as AIDS in Africa.
It needs to be transparent?
Just like the mosquito ,the bed bug will always be with us.
I was treated by HOSVOL hospitaleros after they'd questioned some dodgey mosquito bites on my face. I felt like I had leprosy.
However if they were right it stopped possible contamination of that albergue and the rest after it even though I was traumatized by the ordeal.
Softly softly will not work with this menace , we do have to be vocal.
Unfortunately the poor albergue that is named is so often just the ham in the sandwich.
I feel as you do that by the time "alerts" have been publicised , the problem has moved on.
Finally and I know it is not positive ....... It's pilgrims that infects albergues. Dealing with it is easy , it's the stigma that is hard to shake off?

they are not lethal just annoying...i am sure all the hostels take them seriously because at this point there are so many places to lay your head. the lie dormant for years and only thrive on human blood....lets make them walk 500 miles to their next vein hook up

Now this is fabulous news. You see people shouldn't put up with them. I am so grateful - that list will really help and what kindness from the locals.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My 2c Sybill.
There really does need to be a gentle call to the suspected albergue of origin.
And , the following receiving albergues need to treat infected pilgrims as best as possible.
Then , the Next Albergues in 100km need to be notified of the infection and be vigalent.
Infected albergues will have to be closed and treated.
Chances are that every pilgrim that has bites are carrying bugs or eggs.
We need to address this as AIDS in Africa.
It needs to be transparent?
Just like the mosquito ,the bed bug will always be with us.
I was treated by HOSVOL hospitaleros after they'd questioned some dodgey mosquito bites on my face. I felt like I had leprosy.
However if they were right it stopped possible contamination of that albergue and the rest after it even though I was traumatized by the ordeal.
Softly softly will not work with this menace , we do have to be vocal.
Unfortunately the poor albergue that is named is so often just the ham in the sandwich.
I feel as you do that by the time "alerts" have been publicised , the problem has moved on.
Finally and I know it is not positive ....... It's pilgrims that infects albergues. Dealing with it is easy , it's the stigma that is hard to shake off?
Did you REALLY mean the bit about "AIDS in Africa"? What does that mean anyway?

keeping in mind English is not always a poster's first language, I think he may mean we need to reduce stigma and take positive steps to correct a problem rather than hide and ignore it

but I don't want to put words in his mouth

Did you REALLY mean the bit about "AIDS in Africa"? What does that mean anyway?
I wasn't talking about AIDS in Africa. ...gosh that is the most awful traged! ! I meant living in Africa which is considered a 3rd world country - I was born in South Africa and only moved 7 years ago - anyway even there we never ever ever had problems with lice or bed bugs because people (all Africans) think it's unhygienic and it gets delt with FAST. you may not send a child to school with headlice and if it's discovered at school ypu have to fetch your child immediately and they may only come back to school with a clear head and a Dr certificate to say it's clear! Bed bugs will close your hotel/bnb/lodge down so fast it's not funny. No bed bugs and we traveled a lot. AIDS has nothing to do with bed bugs and one should never make rash comments about it until you have seen the devostation it has caused for many families. Children left without relatives - mothers or father's ...left to fend for themselves or bring up their siblings. I know of 4 and 5 year old children in that predicament. It's tragic and the worst part is the developed world is too obsessed with money and pleasure to care about it. But that's not really a camino issue and I don't want yo break the rules of this forum. I would never make rash comments about HIV in Africa.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
What eats bed bugs?
This list of insects are natural bed bug predators that eat bed bugs. These insects and spiders can be drawn to infestations or high populations of bed bugs in certain areas. They might help give away the bed bug’s location.

The Masked Hunter Insect or Masked Bed Bug Hunter

• Reduvius personatus
  • Family Reduviidae which is known as the assassin bugs
  • The masked hunter primarily feeds on bedbugs and other insects
  • If it is mishandled it may bite humans in defense.
Cockroaches

• All semi-domestic and domestic house cockroaches have been seen and documented eating bed bugs since the 11th and 12th centuries
  • Order Blattodea
    • Family Blattidae
      • Oriental Cockroach
        • Blatta orientalis
      • American Cockroach
        • Periplaneta americana
    • Family Blattellidae
      • German Cockroach
        • Blattella germanica
      • Brown-banded Cockroach
        • Supella longipalpa
Ants

• Pharaoh ants:
    • It is documented that pharaoh ants are the number one species of ant that has been seen targeting and eating bed bugs
    • Pharaoh ants are tiny
  • Most ant species will eat anything including bed bugs
Spiders

• The species:
    • Thanatus flavidus
    • This is the spider of the family Philodromidae
    • It is found in Greece, Russia and Ukraine
    • Studies and research have list this species for hunting bedbugs.
Mites

• This is the species best known as the common house dust mites
  • They inhabit the same areas in bedding as bed bugs and have been known to feed on them.
    • Subclass Acari
      • Superoder Acariformes
        • Order: Acariformes
          • Family: Pyroglyphidae
            • Dermatophagoides pteronyssinus
  • Centipedes
    • Centipedes feed on a variety of invertebrates such as bed bugs, spiders, termites, cockroaches, silverfish, ants, and other household arthropods
    • House centipedes are the typical species of centipede to feed on bed bugs
      • Phylum: Arthropoda
        • Class: Chilopoda
          • Order: Scutigeromorpha
            • Family: Scutigeridae
              • Species: Scutigera coleoptrata

What eats bed bugs?
This list of insects are natural bed bug predators that eat bed bugs. These insects and spiders can be drawn to infestations or high populations of bed bugs in certain areas. They might help give away the bed bug’s location.

The Masked Hunter Insect or Masked Bed Bug Hunter

• Reduvius personatus
  • Family Reduviidae which is known as the assassin bugs
  • The masked hunter primarily feeds on bedbugs and other insects
  • If it is mishandled it may bite humans in defense.
Cockroaches

• All semi-domestic and domestic house cockroaches have been seen and documented eating bed bugs since the 11th and 12th centuries
  • Order Blattodea
    • Family Blattidae
      • Oriental Cockroach
        • Blatta orientalis
      • American Cockroach
        • Periplaneta americana
    • Family Blattellidae
      • German Cockroach
        • Blattella germanica
      • Brown-banded Cockroach
        • Supella longipalpa
Ants

• Pharaoh ants:
    • It is documented that pharaoh ants are the number one species of ant that has been seen targeting and eating bed bugs
    • Pharaoh ants are tiny
  • Most ant species will eat anything including bed bugs
Spiders

• The species:
    • Thanatus flavidus
    • This is the spider of the family Philodromidae
    • It is found in Greece, Russia and Ukraine
    • Studies and research have list this species for hunting bedbugs.
Mites

• This is the species best known as the common house dust mites
  • They inhabit the same areas in bedding as bed bugs and have been known to feed on them.
    • Subclass Acari
      • Superoder Acariformes
        • Order: Acariformes
          • Family: Pyroglyphidae
            • Dermatophagoides pteronyssinus
  • Centipedes
    • Centipedes feed on a variety of invertebrates such as bed bugs, spiders, termites, cockroaches, silverfish, ants, and other household arthropods
    • House centipedes are the typical species of centipede to feed on bed bugs
      • Phylum: Arthropoda
        • Class: Chilopoda
          • Order: Scutigeromorpha
            • Family: Scutigeridae
              • Species: Scutigera coleoptrata
:D:D:D:D:D
I think some of those could be my companions on my less traveled Caminos. Just to keep me socialized, you know, not to forget to speak and such, every night take them for a stroll and to eat something, having a chat, like "mate, doin' OK in that flask of yours"? Already feeling like in a Kafka novel. But I like it :D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Many Gites on the Puy Way had preventative measures in place. We were often asked to leave our back packs outside the domitory. This could be outside the Gite in a shed or in some shelves, or might be inside near the door, on shelves or if we were very lucky in a locker. We had to take only what we needed for the night and put it in a plastic box or bowl to take to the domitory. Klako was often available for sale at the Gites. This is a spray that can be used on and in the backpacks to deter bed bugs. There was often a small leaflet about how not to carry bed bugs. A lot of Gites advertised themselves as being part of an anti bed bug organisation working together to eliminate them. One fellow pilgrim did get them and showed her bites to hospitaleros 3 times before they said yes, you have bed bugs, let me help you. The 3rd place washed all her clothes, sprayed her pack and asked her all the right questions so they could try to contact the gite where she probably picked them up. The helpful gite was in a small village called St Côme d'Olt. It was called Gite Romilou and was run by a lovely couple called Sabine and Sylvan.

I wasn't talking about AIDS in Africa.
Someone else (not you) did mention it in an earlier post on the thread. But it was never suggested that bedbugs and aids were related! I interpreted the statement to mean that a comprehensive public health strategy would be necessary to get rid of bedbugs, as was needed for AIDS. That disease has been a tragedy whereas bedbugs are just a nuisance for us privileged travellers! Thus no comprehensive strategy.

Rabanal Treatment Procedure. After a hot shower; (another girl provide a quality shampoo) there was a loan of clean clothes (top & bottom & knickers) - very much an example of the old adage "the Camino will provide". Tom then help her wash ALL her clothes; put her sleeping bag in their HOT drier; & her backpack was left in the hot sun after being sprayed.
That's basically our procedure when they tell us. Unfortunately, more than once we've had to do a heck of a lot of work after the departure of someone who didn't tell us. We have plastic mattresses without seams, and metal bunk frames, so it's hard for them to find a place to hide or lay eggs. But don't lean your mochila against anything porous!

One gentleman didn't speak English or Spanish (or any of our other languages) and didn't know anything about bedbugs. But he did know he had bites and showed us. We managed to get across to him (while two companions from his country were laughing at him) that we needed to have him shower and let us wash ALL his clothes. Then he started to strip out on the plaza, and we had to get across the idea that he could do that in the shower stall and hand them out to us. :)

Anything that can't be in the dryer or can't handle 60°C gets putting in a plastic bag which is filled up with spray and left sealed for an hour or more.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I walked with a friend who had bedbugs, when we arrived at the hotel/albergue San Anton Abad in Villafranca Montes de Oca she told the manager. He smiled, thanked her very much for telling him and proceeded to sort her out without any problems. Charged her only 5 Euros for washing/heat drying everything she had. He was truly a star!

You can add En El Camino, in Boadilla, to the list of vigilant places. I've spent a lot of time there (mostly helping myself to Eduardo refrigerator of good food) and they take inspection seriously. Bed bugs might pass through there while hitching a ride, but they are not welcome to stay.

I had a nice experience on the le puy route (if you can call any experience with bedbugs nice).

I woke up to the buggers crawling on my hands in the gîte d'étape in durfort-lacapellete. I did the usual thing, got up, found a room with a light that didn't bother the other pilgrim (it was the bathroom), inspected all my things, and killed the buggers. I wanted to wait for the morning in the living area but spotted the buggers on the sofa too. so I ended dozing on a little stool in the shower, with two towels from the cabinet for my pillow. and wouldn't you believe it, the buggers even crawled out of those towels!

I left a written message to the owner on the last page of the visitor book, with the page open and an arrow pointing to a killed bugger.

I packed all night stuff in bags and carried them by hand to moissac. thankfully it was only about 16km and I was there by about 10h, but my arm was complaining about that endevour the whole of the next day. there I called gîte d'étape ultreia where I have reserved the previous evening. they were super nice, told me to come right away, and that we will sort everything out.

in the gîte they found me some clothes (shirt, skirt, a handbag, and even panties that another pilgrim have forgotten the previous evening!), put all the washable stuff in the washing machine, sprayed all the unwashable stuff and put them in the garbage bags to stew in the sun. then I went exploring the town.

while walking around, my phone rang. it turned out to be the owner of the gîte in durfort-lacapelette. he thanked me for the note, said he didn't know of the problem, and that he is temporarily closing the gîte for a thorough cleaning. I must say I was quite surprised (and pleasantly).

thankfully, that was the only bedbug encounter that I had in france on that year's camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.