• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Positive Covid test

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

mickcope

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino - Sarria
Can anyone tell me what happens if we test positive in Santiago before flying home Is it simply a case of self isolating at a hotel and then a retest at a later date ?

cheers
Mick

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Can anyone tell me what happens if we test positive in Santiago before flying home Is it simply a case of self isolating at a hotel and then a retest at a later date ?

cheers
Mick
You won't be flying if you test positive!

That's almost it.
You have to be self-isolated/quarantined.
Not every hotel will support you, b/c you aren't allowed to leave your room.
You have to stay isolated for 5-14 days, depending of the order of the sanitary office.
Be prepared to be visited by the officers regularly.

Most of the time your retest will be a PCR-Test, that will last up to 2 days after taking your sample.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Most of the time your retest will be a PCR-Test, that will last up to 2 days after taking your sample.
Are you sure of that? If someone has tested positive through a PCR test and has been infected with Covid-19 and has quarantined for the 10 days required by Spain and is then symptom free, PCR re-tests are rarely done because by their very nature, PCR tests can still give a positive result for weeks and weeks after recovery from the illness. Up to 3 months of positive test results are not unusual.

You have to stay isolated for 5-14 days, depending of the order of the sanitary office.
Where do you see that? I can only see that Spain requires 10 days of quarantine after a positive PCR test and that they will issue a certificate of recovery at the earliest 11 days since the first positive test (mínimo 11 días después de la realización de la primera prueba diagnóstica NAAT con resultado positiv).

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

cheers
Mick

I understand your concerns. Travelling these days is complicated and there are many (local) rules and regulations to observe. As you can see from some of the replies here, no one on this forum can/will/should offer you the answers, which anyways may only add to uncertainty. As a traveler, you will have to do your own investigations, which I believe is not a trivial job and things may still change rapidly. If you are determined to travel, be sure to be well informed and be prepared for the unexpected.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Where do you see that? I can only see that Spain requires 10 days of quarantine after a positive PCR test and that they will issue a certificate of recovery at the earliest 11 days since the first positive test (mínimo 11 días después de la realización de la primera prueba diagnóstica NAAT con resultado positiv).
A non-vaccinated colleage of mine was found positive and had to stay at least 5 days in isolation in Valencia this summer. She was tested negative after 5 days and was free to leave.

Maybe local regulations differ from the central regulations? Like in Italy, or especially Germany?

There are professional care givers in Santiago much better prepared to answer a question like this than someone's random opinion on this Forum, for sure!
I beg to differ. The question is not about care giving if you get ill.

It is about estimating the time you may have to stay in a neighbouring country, and, possibly, having a rough idea of how things work in a country where you don't speak the language. Anyone who is vaccinated and travels within Europe right now, and plenty of people do, tries to figure these kinds of things out before departure, and believe me, it is more promising to find accurate information when you are not left on your own with these websites but can talk to others. On the phone or over a cup of coffee, btw. :cool:

Last edited:
I beg to differ. The question is not about care giving if you get ill.

It is about estimating the time you may have to stay in a neighbouring country, and, possibly, having a rough idea of how things work in a country where you don't speak the language. Anyone who is vaccinated and travels within Europe right now, and plenty of people do, tries to figure these kinds of things out before departure, and believe me, it is more promising to find accurate information when you are not left on your own with these websites but can talk to others. On the phone or over a cup of coffee, btw. :cool:
I totally disagree with you and I appreciate your opinions most of the time but there are people on this Forum who are not well informed and spreading rumors instead of the truth.
I would never consult an open forum like this for my health or political opinions.
Sorry about that Kathar1na.
I believe in listening to professionals.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The authorities in Galicia have organised insurance for visitors.

Who can use it?
This initiative is free for visitors and pilgrims both from Spain and abroad who are not resident in Galicia.
Extra protection!
To benefit from this insurance, you don’t need to apply, you only have to be staying at a regulated establishment in Galicia. The insurance is activated automatically.
Complementary coverage and services
  • Medical, surgical, pharmaceutical and hospitalisation expenses due to COVID-19.
  • Medical repatriation and repatriation in the event of death due to COVID-19.
  • Extended stay on account of COVID-19 quarantine.

The affected party will have to report the disease by calling +34 915 149 959

Have a look at the official Galicia tourism website https://www.turismo.gal/galiciadestinoseguro/segurocovid

Maybe I misunderstand the initial post. I assumed that the poster is neither in Spain nor tested positive and is double vaccinated. Lots of assumptions, I know. Even when you are double vaccinated you can test positive. Breakthrough infection. You will never get any symptoms or you will just have a sniffle that you think is your hay fever. You will never get so ill that you need medical care. I am not making this up, it is a realistic scenario. I know it for sure. :cool:

When you travel to Spain, you need to apply for a Health Control QR code and you get this with an email that tells you exactly nothing about what to do, and what is likely to happen, should you test positive at the airport of your later departure. The email merely tells you what to do when you, but strangely enough only during the first 14 days of your stay in Spain, get a fever, cough or shortness of breath. You must call a telephone number, depending on the region your are in. For Galicia it is 900 400 116 and for Madrid it is 900 102 112. And that's all in the way of prior information. Better keep that email during your Camino. But that is only when you fly to Spain. When you cross the border on land, you don't get this email.

Oh, and there is another phone number to retain, +34 915 149 959, if you are in Galicia and received your positive test result while in Santiago, to benefit from the Galician insurance cover for your hotel stay when, to your surprise, you tested positive before your departure flight.

Bon voyage and buen camino to all the double-vaccinated who travel in September and October!

Last edited:
I would never consult an open forum like this for my health or political opinions.
Should one get Covid, how to deal with health, and how to deal with public health policies/regulations are two very different things. And there are informed posters here about the latter, @Kathar1na being one of them. (Just to be clear - regulations are not political opinions, but policies that can be verified and cited. And for someone with a positive test, they are tangible determinants of what they can and cannot do.)

Admittedly there are plenty of people just offering biased opinions and misinformation, too, but as far as covid regulations it's pretty easy to tell the difference.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If I tested positive and needed medical treatment, it would be real scary laying alone in a hospital bed a foreign country. I could loose my job for failing to return from scheduled vacation.

That's too much risk for me!

-Paul

If I tested positive and needed medical treatment
I am confident that the OP was asking a question about public health procedures, and was not asking about medical treatment options. The former has been answered as well as we can on the forum, and the latter is not an appropriate topic for extensive discussion here.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back