• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Positive "virtual" plans for your pilgrimages in 2021/2022

Pilgrim_95

Young Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
Portugues - 2015
Norte - 2016, 2020
Frances - 2018
Hey everyone, I have seen several virtual Camino threads and decided to start a similar concept for planning our upcoming journeys. The situation right now is still pretty unsure etc... Yet, we all have some idea in our heads about the potential schedule of when the world is gonna open up again including our internal rules about safety - going right away when it is possible vs. waiting one more season etc.

I would like this thread to be sort of covid-less. No endless arguments and pseudo moralistic debates. Just the "virtual" plans, you have in your drawers :)

MY PLANS
Before the end of this year, I would love to embark on two Pilgrimages. In July I am moving to the Canary Islands with my girlfriend, who is also my Camino partner, as she is gonna spend a year abroad at a local university. I will be studying and working remotely. We will be there for 11 months in total. The great thing is, that the connections with Spain are great and frequent. We can fly directly from Las Palmas to Asturias etc...

So, our first Camino that we are planning is Camino Primitivo, which we managed to walk with some extra parts of Camino Norte last July. It is a gorgeous Camino with great albergues. The plan is to go somewhere between September - November...

My mom will be joining us, it will be her first Camino. We need to optimize the planning so we end up in Oviedo on the same day as she will be flying from Prague or Vienna :) There is also a possibility, that I will start with my mom, and Pippa (my girlfriend) will join us for the last few days, it will depend on her uni schedule.

The second Camino we are planning is a shorter one, yet very exciting. It is the Camino de Gran Canaria, which goes from Maspalomas to Galdar, basically across the whole island. The Camino has an awesome website. It should be around 65km with some real incline, so an optimal trip for an extended weekend. The timeframe for this pilgrimage would be November - December.

In 2022, we are planning a trip to the USA as Pippa's sister is getting married in September 2022, it will be my first visit to the American continent. The plan is to spend 2-3 weeks in the USA and 2-3 in South America, probably Peru and Ecuador, so we plan to hike to Machu Picchu plus I would love to do at least 4-5 days of a real pilgrimage there. The plan is not set yet, so we will see... In terms of European pilgrimages, I would love to do Camino Ingles + Finisterra (for the first time). The timeframe for this one would be either March-April 2022, or October-November 2022.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The Canary islands are ideal for winter season walking. In addition to the Gran Canaria camino, I recommend that you check out the Camino de Santiago de Tenerife. Officially it's a 115km route that connects Santa Cruz and Puerto de Santiago, but I think you should go beyond Santa Cruz to visit the Anaga rural park to the north. You might also want to take a side trip to Mt. Teide - Spain's highest peak. Away from the coasts, you will not be among the tourist crowds (except for the trip to Teide).

The geology is spectacular and the climbs are steep but very enjoyable. Beautiful place to be in January when the rest of Europe is shivering.

The Canary islands are ideal for winter season walking. In addition to the Gran Canaria camino, I recommend that you check out the Camino de Santiago de Tenerife. Officially it's a 115km route that connects Santa Cruz and Puerto de Santiago, but I think you should go beyond Santa Cruz to visit the Anaga rural park to the north. You might also want to take a side trip to Mt. Teide - Spain's highest peak. Away from the coasts, you will not be among the tourist crowds (except for the trip to Teide).

The geology is spectacular and the climbs are steep but very enjoyable. Beautiful place to be in January when the rest of Europe is shivering.
Thanks a lot for the tip, we are planning a trip to Tenerife to see the Loro Park and climb the Pico de Teide

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Small Update:

Well, the situation is very dynamic lately in our lives, I just started a new remote web developer position, so there is a lot to learn and get used to at work.

Plus, Brexit made our life way harder with the 3 months per 180 days in Schengen. Especially, Pippa's Erasmus, as she needs to visit the Spanish Consulate in London due to student visa.

So, next week we are going to England and we might walk the Camino Portugues at the start of July if the situation will allow it. If not, we are ready to walk the Winchester - Canterbury pilgrimage in the south of England (any advice welcomed).

Also, there is a small chance that the Erasmus won't go through in Canary Islands, in that case we might just spend some time there and probably return to Scotland where we actually study. I am entitled to receive the student visa which I still don't have due to COVID, so we could be there long-term. Maybe, we will finally finish the John Muir's way that goes through Edinburgh, as we missed it last year.

Well, it is just a mess, to be honest. On the other hand, the thoughts of being back in Spain walking keeps us positive :)

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.