• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Possibility to tent on the trail?

BeatriceKarjalainen

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Finished: See post signature.
Doing: C. Levante
Is it possible at all to tent along the Camino? I love the freedom I get using my tent here in Sweden but If I have to find and check in to camp sites I guess I could just go for the pilgrim lodging all the time.

Was thinking of bringing the tent and use it if I want to stop between villages.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello again!

Yes. Many pilgrims do and on my first Camino Frances (which I completed on St. James' day and therefore was at a peak time of the season) I bought a tent with a few other pilgrims in Leon. We didn't like the rush of other pilgrims to queue outside albergues from 10-11am (having started at 3-4am)!

Recently I believe I read that there is a law in Spain saying you can't camp within 1km ( perhaps 2k) from a camp sight. Other than that you're fine for 1 night apparently.

I think a tent could be a fine addition to your kit but only if you use it! Just be carful. Forest fires devastate Spain every year.

Apparently Camino Norte and Via de la Plata are more amenable to tenting than the Camino Frances.

Its possible ... but the possibilities are limited. Many sites suitable for a tent don't have water and are full of trash.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I often carry a screen rent and sleep out if the Albergue is too perfumed. I pay the fee so I can use the shower and kitchen. Sometimes they insist on not collecting but for me it is more for my comfort than my pocketbook. I've never been turned down when I've asked to camp in the Albergue yard.

You also might enjoy reading lovingkindness's gorgeous thread. She camped much of the way, on and off. The photos and descriptions are spectacular b

Plenty of places to camp, we walked fro home (Dorset) via Weymouth/St Malo ferry, camped all the way until Dax and then used some refugios until Estella. Used all refugios from there and sent tent home, but bought a new one in Sarria as it was so crowded. Used the tent then for last week to Finisterre. If I was doing camino again I would take the lightest tent I could find (1 kilo or less) so I'd always have backup accommodation/peace and quiet, though you must get the weight of everything else right down, don't carry more than the magic 6 kilos if you can avoid it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks for all your replies. I have jsut decided to not bring my tent. 1.5 kg, instead I'll use that weight for my camera and som other stuff :)

I guess I'll miss my tent when I wake up in the middle of the night and hear people snore all over the place.

But I still have 6 weeks to change my mind again.

Re: Possibility to tent on the trail? Yes!

Hello.
Here you can download a list of camping places along the Camino.
But I warn you of wild camping! It is forbidden. And also dangerous.
In the open filds are some feral dogs! And mind you: There may be hunters shooting in the fields. Quite a few of them are not very experienced in shooting!
Buen Camino
Jochen

Thanks for all your replies. I have jsut decided to not bring my tent. 1.5 kg, instead I'll use that weight for my camera and som other stuff :)

I guess I'll miss my tent when I wake up in the middle of the night and hear people snore all over the place.

But I still have 6 weeks to change my mind again.
Hi, Did you end up taking the tent? If not, did you wish that you had? I am noise and perfume-sensitive and am thinking having a tent to sleep in the yard at alburgues (per AnnieSantiago's experience) might be a good idea. ~Alyssa

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back