• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Possible broken foot - 8 days till departure

kardisa

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - Leon to Santiago (2015)
Camino Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo (2017)
I'm 8 days out from my attempt at a quick (21 days) CdM/Salvador/Primitivo and have everything ready to go. However, last night I pulled out one of my dresser drawers too quickly and it fell on to the top of my foot. Said foot is now swollen, bruised, and I can't lift my big toe. I suspect a fracture, but won't be able to confirm until next week.

For those of you who have had an injury close to your camino start date, what did you do? I've been looking forward to this summer for almost a year, and I can't really bear the thought of having to throw in the towel.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Kardisa, sorry to hear this.
Had the same issue as you have now,Had a mishap with my shoulder 8 days before my departure.
I had planned to walk the Camino del Northe and the Primotivo.
And this was last month,the doctor said no backpack for atleast a few weeks.
So no Camino this year .

Hope for you that you can walk your planned Camino.

Wish you well,Peter.

Hi Kardisa, sorry to hear this.
Had the same issue as you have now,Had a mishap with my shoulder 8 days before my departure.
I had planned to walk the Camino del Northe and the Primotivo.
And this was last month,the doctor said no backpack for atleast a few weeks.
So no Camino this year .

Hope for you that you can walk your planned Camino.

Wish you well,Peter.
Thanks, Peter. Did you end up going to Spain or did you cancel your flights?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
First things first. Go and get your injury examined by a competent medicial Doctor. He will advise you on the best way to go forward.

Do not attempt to do the CdM/Salvador/Primitivo with an existing injury. - To state the obvious,You would be risking serious/permanent damage otherwise.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm 8 days out from my attempt at a quick (21 days) CdM/Salvador/Primitivo and have everything ready to go. However, last night I pulled out one of my dresser drawers too quickly and it fell on to the top of my foot. Said foot is now swollen, bruised, and I can't lift my big toe. I suspect a fracture, but won't be able to confirm until next week.

For those of you who have had an injury close to your camino start date, what did you do? I've been looking forward to this summer for almost a year, and I can't really bear the thought of having to throw in the towel.

I wish I would´ve listened to everyone back home (and on here) who told me to see a doctor. Now I´m in Spain postponing everything because I can´t seem to get this foot to heal. Might have to cancel my camino, which is a really tough thought.
Strange how everything seems to happen 8 days before departure, my injury was the same time frame.

Best of luck!

I'm so sorry to hear that, Skylar! Best wishes for your recovery.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I went and got an x-ray, and my big toe is fractured. However, the doctor said that I could walk on if I 1. Can tolerate the pain and 2. Buddy tape it to the next toe and wear closed toe shoes. So, it looks like my walk is still on, although it won't be as pleasant (nor the distances as long) as I originally intended. Which is good, because all of my tickets are non-refundable.

I went and got an x-ray, and my big toe is fractured. However, the doctor said that I could walk on if I 1. Can tolerate the pain and 2. Buddy tape it to the next toe and wear closed toe shoes. So, it looks like my walk is still on, although it won't be as pleasant (nor the distances as long) as I originally intended. Which is good, because all of my tickets are non-refundable.

That is good news. Maybe it will be more enjoyable since you have a good reason not to push too hard. (Anyway it always helps me.)

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Sad to hear about your injury -- I've been (and I am) in similar situations myself.

What you do is you accept everything the Camino sends you -- the bad as much as the good.

Seek your peace in what is meant for you, and do not mourn that which is not -- no matter how much you might want it.

And always remember -- God sometimes prevents even our best plans simply because the good that He desires for us, or even just some sudden imminent future needs, would be hurt if we carried them out. Sometimes he hurts us to stop us making some mistake that we can't possibly even see at the time.

Anyway, the Camino's not budging from where it is -- if your time isn't right, just make it later.

Good to hear this. But take care and don't over do it .
Wish you well and a Buen Camino , Peter.

Good to hear this. But take care and don't over do it .
Wish you well and a Buen Camino , Peter.
I'm going to try not too! My flight leaves in 20 hours and I'm sitting here seriously considering taking a bus to Pamplona and doing the CdF instead of the CdM/Salavador/Primitivo due to this injury. I figure there are enough alb urges (and transportation) on the former so that I could stop whenever I needed to.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm going to try not too! My flight leaves in 20 hours and I'm sitting here seriously considering taking a bus to Pamplona and doing the CdF instead of the CdM/Salavador/Primitivo due to this injury. I figure there are enough alb urges (and transportation) on the former so that I could stop whenever I needed to.
That sounds like a good plan.

Hi Kardisha I really feel for you and relate a little. Next Monday I fly for my third Camino but this time from Lisbon. Three weeks ago I broke my knee. I still intend to go and have been having regular physio to get me ready. I have a brace for support and will take poles first time ever. My drs say anything is possible with sensible plan I will only walk small distances and go slow. I kinda wondered why this happened but figure there is a reason also lucky I chose CP as is much flatter. I hope your journey goes well. I will be thinking of you and hope you continue with adjustments.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I am starting the Route Frances on May 20 and looking at weather to pick my clothes but also figured I should factor the bug situation into the equation since I don't want to weigh down my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.