• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Possible detour on Arles Route to Lourdes?

AnnieGoldCoast

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013, LePuy to St Jean 2014,
Pennine Way 2015, Camino del Norte 2016, Arles (2018)
Hi. We have walked the Arles route in 2018 and loved it so we are planning to walk with our grandson just from Toulouse this time in April 2020. We would love to take him to Lourdes and was wondering if anyone has walked to Lourdes from the Chemin Route - through Pau perhaps. Is there a track we don’t want to do too much road walking. Thank you to any advice anyone may have. Annie

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There's at least two ways (probably more) to do this. The one I took this year was:

1. Chemin d'Arles from Toulouse to Maubourguet.
2. Divert to GR 101 just outside Maubourguet. This will take you to Lourdes. However, there is a lot of asphalt.
3. From Lourdes, take Chemin Piemont to Oloron Ste. Marie.
4. In Oloron Ste. Marie get back on to Chemin d'Arles, which will take you to Col du Somport. Alternatively, you could stay on Piemont and head to St Jean Pied de Port.

The other way is to take a GR (can't recall the number) from Toulouse to connect to Piemont. From there, take Piemont all the way to Lourdes.

I took the GR101 in June 2014, I went past Mabourguet and stayed in the Happy Coulson gite just after the turn off, I didn't have to backtrack the next day I was shown a way by the gite owners to connect up with it.
The route itself was beautiful and avoided built up areas, for the first 30 km it went through wooded areas on natural forest tracks, and then it came out onto more open farming areas, in these places it was a mix of surfaces, but much still unsurfaced, on the open areas you could see the Pyrenees looming in the way ahead. If there was asphalt for the previous poster then he did not go the way I went and there must be an alternative path to the one I walked.
I stopped at two places after turning of on to the GR. I stopped at Tarasteix Monastery which was about 25-27 km after the turn off, then I stopped in a little place called Ibos which was only 15 km further on, I took full advantage of finding somewhere open for lunch and decided to stay, Ibos has a small welcome house which you can stay at if the Marie is open, they hold the keys. The next day I walked into Lourdes.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There are multiple variant ways to do this -- the easiest one hiking-wise is the Maubourguet variant previously described, though there's also a river route out from Toulouse which seems very pleasant along most of the way 'til you reach the Piémont.

I haven't walked from Tolouse to Lourdes, but twice have caught the train from Tolouse to Lourdes and walked from there up to the Somport Pass. It is very beautiful.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There's at least two ways (probably more) to do this. The one I took this year was:

1. Chemin d'Arles from Toulouse to Maubourguet.
2. Divert to GR 101 just outside Maubourguet. This will take you to Lourdes. However, there is a lot of asphalt.
3. From Lourdes, take Chemin Piemont to Oloron Ste. Marie.
4. In Oloron Ste. Marie get back on to Chemin d'Arles, which will take you to Col du Somport. Alternatively, you could stay on Piemont and head to St Jean Pied de Port.

The other way is to take a GR (can't recall the number) from Toulouse to connect to Piemont. From there, take Piemont all the way to Lourdes.
Thanks so much for your reply. I will start looking at the maps. Were there Gîtes or accommodation on the way?

I haven't walked from Tolouse to Lourdes, but twice have caught the train from Tolouse to Lourdes and walked from there up to the Somport Pass. It is very beautiful.
Thank you for your reply. Yes we have walked the whole Arles route and agree the walk over Somport and the lead up through the Aspe Valley is truly beautiful. I will continue with my investigations. We too have bused to Lourdes but I thought walking there might be nice. Thank you again Anne

I took the GR101 in June 2014, I went past Mabourguet and stayed in the Happy Coulson gite just after the turn off, I didn't have to backtrack the next day I was shown a way by the gite owners to connect up with it.
The route itself was beautiful and avoided built up areas, for the first 30 km it went through wooded areas on natural forest tracks, and then it came out onto more open farming areas, in these places it was a mix of surfaces, but much still unsurfaced, on the open areas you could see the Pyrenees looming in the way ahead. If there was asphalt for the previous poster then he did not go the way I went and there must be an alternative path to the one I walked.
I stopped at two places after turning of on to the GR. I stopped at Tarasteix Monastery which was about 25-27 km after the turn off, then I stopped in a little place called Ibos which was only 15 km further on, I took full advantage of finding somewhere open for lunch and decided to stay, Ibos has a small welcome house which you can stay at if the Marie is open, they hold the keys. The next day I walked into Lourdes.
Thanks that sounds great. We are not fond of Asphalt road walking I guess the secret would to make sure it was during the week (if we were to stay in Ibos) and hopefully the Marie will be open. So your route was about 70 km? And you did that in 2 days? Can you sleep at the Monastery?
loving all this information. It’s such fun working it out and we are so grateful for everyone sharing information. Thanks. Anne

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There are multiple variant ways to do this -- the easiest one hiking-wise is the Maubourguet variant previously described, though there's also a river route out from Toulouse which seems very pleasant along most of the way 'til you reach the Piémont.
Thanks. Was there accommodation along the way Gîtes etc?
We have the Confraternity book on the Arles Route published 2016. We used it then. Do you know of any other route books which may show this or other routes. Thanks again. Annie

My intention was to do it over two days, stay at the monastery on the 1st night, which I did then kick on to Lourdes however the carafe of wine I had with my meal in Ibos took the wind out of my sails, it's not often my indiscipline turns out to be a great bonus but it did that night as the whole village as part of a music festival descended on the church for a free concert by a type of traditional Sardinian singers , what was an even bigger bonus was the locals afterwards went to the bar and harmonised traditional occitan songs. The next day I arrived in Lourdes it could have been around 21-23km, I didn't have a guide or map, I just winged it aside from the help of the gite owners who told me about the monastery and the path to connect back up with the GR.

Thanks so much for your reply. I will start looking at the maps. Were there Gîtes or accommodation on the way?

I spent one night on the GR101 at the Tarasteix Monastery. And, of course, there are gites on the Arles and Piemont. There is a very helpful organization in Toulouse that can provide routes and list of gites. I can't recall the name off the top of my head but I think this is it - Friends of Chemin St Jacques. However, not positive. If it isn't, the pilgrim desk at the cathedral can direct you. Good luck and bonne route.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The association you mention is the ACIR Compostelle. They have a webpage, here. You can get there the stages of different caminos, by e-mail (in French). Be aware that two years ago, its list of Piedmont lodgments was not updated -there were many actually inexistent options, and many sites listed as "donativo" had a tariff (no objections to that, personally...)

I spent one night on the GR101 at the Tarasteix Monastery. And, of course, there are gites on the Arles and Piemont. There is a very helpful organization in Toulouse that can provide routes and list of gites. I can't recall the name off the top of my head but I think this is it - Friends of Chemin St Jacques. However, not positive. If it isn't, the pilgrim desk at the cathedral can direct you. Good luck and bonne route.
My intention was to do it over two days, stay at the monastery on the 1st night, which I did then kick on to Lourdes however the carafe of wine I had with my meal in Ibos took the wind out of my sails, it's not often my indiscipline turns out to be a great bonus but it did that night as the whole village as part of a music festival descended on the church for a free concert by a type of traditional Sardinian singers , what was an even bigger bonus was the locals afterwards went to the bar and harmonised traditional occitan songs. The next day I arrived in Lourdes it could have been around 21-23km, I didn't have a guide or map, I just winged it aside from the help of the gite owners who told me about the monastery and the path to connect back up with the GR.
Terrible what that carafe can do. Has happened to us. However very pleasant. Thanks for all of this. Will be travelling with 18 year old grandson (challenging) so appreciate all this info. We have found locals very obliging. Thanks once again.

Thanks once again. Will follow through with info.
Isn’t it amazing how when you are walking wonderful things happen like the music festival you experienced. Our cruising friends just don’t get it. Happy walking for your next trek. Anne

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This is the way I walked, I went past the beginning of the route and stayed at the gite in the next village, I reconnected at point 4 on the map the next day.

Attachments

• maubourguet-lourdes-FR-2016.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 44
This is the way I walked, I went past the beginning of the route and stayed at the gite in the next village, I reconnected at point 4 on the map the next day.
That is wonderful thank you. Will study in detail. Is this from a GR guide book or a French guide book? Thanks.

I took it off the internet. The FFrandonee book covering the GR 653 Arles route after Toulouse has the Lourdes detour, I didn't know this until I saw the book at the pilgrims welcome house In Arundy on the Piedmont route.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The association you mention is the ACIR Compostelle. They have a webpage, here. You can get there the stages of different caminos, by e-mail (in French). Be aware that two years ago, its list of Piedmont lodgments was not updated -there were many actually inexistent options, and many sites listed as "donativo" had a tariff (no objections to that, personally...)
Thanks for the info. Anne

I took it off the internet. The FFrandonee book covering the GR 653 Arles route after Toulouse has the Lourdes detour, I didn't know this until I saw the book at the pilgrims welcome house In Arundy on the Piedmont route.
Thanks. Will check it out. After the walk there we could bus back to Pau then walk through Lescar (we remember a wonderful Gîte there) to continue on the original route through to Puenta la Reina. Are there any other variations you could recommend? Anne.

I can't help you with any variations, after Lourdes I went via the Piemont route and then on to the Voie Ossau and over the Pyrenees that way. In Lourdes I stayed at tthe private reception for St Jacques pelegrins, if it is still open it has prime location views of the Sanctuary, curfew 10pm. There is a train from Lourdes to Pau which may be quicker.
Good luck.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I can't help you with any variations, after Lourdes I went via the Piemont route and then on to the Voie Ossau and over the Pyrenees that way. In Lourdes I stayed at tthe private reception for St Jacques pelegrins, if it is still open it has prime location views of the Sanctuary, curfew 10pm. There is a train from Lourdes to Pau which may be quicker.
Good luck.
Thanks so much. Feel a lot better informed now. And good luck with your next trek. Anne

I had that GR book too, good maps.

Hello,

Around the first week of October, I plan on walking either from Lourdes to St. Jean Pied de Port OR from Lourdes to Puenta la Reina via the Somport Pass.

My question is - you stated that the Somport pass route is beautiful. I have walked from SJPDP over the Pyrenees. Is the walk over the Somport pass and the extra kilometers worth it, in your opinion?

I hope I phrased that question right. Thanks for any information you can provide.

Buen Camino,

Roger

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello Roger--I have walked both ways:

Lourdes to SJPP (twice as I loved it so much) and also via Somport, on the Arles Way. Oloron St Marie is the "pilgrim's choice". SJPP or Somport?

Both ways, truly wonderful and to be experienced!

To answer your query; Yes, it is worth walking via the Somport especially as it will be a new experience and you have already stepped out from SJPP.

There will be a next time (ah, inevitable) when you can walk Lourdes to SJPP.
Buen Camino

I

Hi. We have walked the Arles route in 2018 and loved it so we are planning to walk with our grandson just from Toulouse this time in April 2020. We would love to take him to Lourdes and was wondering if anyone has walked to Lourdes from the Chemin Route - through Pau perhaps. Is there a track we don’t want to do too much road walking. Thank you to any advice anyone may have. Annie
There is a relatively new GR861 from Toulouse to St. Bertrand de Comminges, then 60 kms. on I believe GR78 to Lourdes. A total of about 150 miles. It supposedly has very little road walking. It follows the Goronne River.

Hello Roger--I have walked both ways:

Lourdes to SJPP (twice as I loved it so much) and also via Somport, on the Arles Way. Oloron St Marie is the "pilgrim's choice". SJPP or Somport?

Both ways, truly wonderful and to be experienced!

To answer your query; Yes, it is worth walking via the Somport especially as it will be a new experience and you have already stepped out from SJPP.

There will be a next time (ah, inevitable) when you can walk Lourdes to SJPP.
Buen Camino

I

Thanks a lot for the feedback and info Gypsy! Much appreciated.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

This is a general question for my curiosity. It probably should be posted in “Equipment etc” but would probably get a lot of Spain replies. I’m not bringing my emergency beacon but I did read on...
Greetings pilgrims, We are walking next September from Lourdes to Somport and would like to hear stories and adv ice about the section from Urdos to Somport, with the big incline. Is this route...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back